40 yr old thought experiment

A long time ago, I had this idea, but never pursued it at the time (just out of school). Idea was to make a liquid flow meter with no moving parts. So it seemed that if one had a parallel plate capacitor with a bias voltage on it built into a pipe, and pumped a polarized molecule fluid between the plates, there should be some current flowing into the capacitor from the E field trying to align the molecules. Not much, for a reasonable sized capacitor, which is why I never tried to build it. Had no idea how to sense femtoamps in 1970's electronics! So maybe with todays low noise parts it could be done, but in thinking about it, I'm wondering where does the charge pumped into this fluid go when it leaves the capacitor plate zone? Just musings of a retired engineer...

Bill M

Reply to
Bill Martin

Where does the charge "go" when you disassemble a Leyden jar?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

It went into my finger. Yeouch!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

MHD? ...Jim Thompson

So if I have this right, randomly polarised molecules flow between the plates and are polarised by the field - that takes energy. The faster the flow, the more molecules get polarised, the more energy.

On the face of it, that should work. Maybe the effect is small and dominated by impurities, but aren't we all?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

For conductive liquids, there are MHD flow meters.

There are also vortex shedding meters, doppler meters (need particles in the fluid) and a weird inertia-based thing, a vibrating U-shaped tube somehow. And orifice plate/restriction delta-P of course. And turbines.

And more!

There might be a way to charge an insulating fluid and measure the charge downstream, and use the transport delay to compute velocity. Sort of like tossing rose petals into a stream.

You could squirt temperature signals into a fluid.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Imagine the fluid is a chain of capacitors, in line waiting to be charged.

If the cap was 1 cm long in the flow direction and 100 pF, then at 1 m/sec and 100 volts bias, the current would be 1 uA. That's a good signal. One could also have another cap (or maybe the same one) to measure the fluid dielectric constant and correct for that.

Nice idea.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's a density measurement, IIRC. You shake a known volume to measure its (inertial) mass.

I've seen a prototype for that for downhole use. It was miserably inaccurate, but might work in the right circumstances.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

What, you don't pump the thing down first? (With a charge pump, of course).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

a Coriolis flow meter measures mass flow, if you want volume flow you need to measure density too

pretty much every car a has a variation of that to measure air mass flow into the engine, basically measuring how much power it takes to keep a resistor in the air stream at a certain temperature

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Another way would be to look at the force on the U; downward-flowing liquid goes in, upward-flowing liquid comes out, so there's a net force (to cause the momentum change). You also have to measure static pressure (head) to complete the calculation.

Reply to
whit3rd

OK, I'm thinking now that there will be no net charges induced into the fluid downstream of the capacitor plates, so no net current into the plates, so it won't work. But I'm not sure.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Mark L. Fergerson "

Ask that over in sci.electronics.basics and you will get an answer.

Reply to
jurb6006

This was different - you apply a pulse of heat to the fluid, then measure the time it takes for the 'hot part' you've just made to flow past one or more temperature sensors some small distance away using a correlation algorithm. It can be more complicated, with the heating being a continuous oscillation, but that's the principle.

The advantage, if it works, is that it copes with a wide range of fluids. As you can imagine, the heat spreads and dissipates by conduction and convection which is just one problem.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

What if the liquid you actually want to measure isn't comprised of polarized molecules? It seems to me the type of liquid is already determined before you decide to measure the flow.

Water is comprised of polarized molecules, but don't they tend to align to each other rather strongly?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Everything but vacuuum has a dielectric constant > 1.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't think you need particles in the fluid to measure the fluid speed. That was what the Michelson Morley experiment did to detect movement in/of the Aether. Any fluid flow would be the same.

--

Rick
Reply to

yes, it would be like the ultra sonic wind speed sensors recently discussed

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Time-of-flight doesn't need particles. Doppler does.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Uhhh... sure about Doppler? Or do you consider "molecules" to be "particles". I'm thinking of the classic sound doppler of approaching/receding sound source. In which case the OP's fluid certainly has "particles".

Reply to
Frank Miles