Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Laser communicatiion in space
On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 05:49:41 GMT, Jan Panteltje wrote: Good call. Laser modulated transmissions can't be intercepted by a third party without being detected.
7
7

Re: Balanced boulders on San Andreas fault suggest the 'Big One' won't be as destructive as once thought
A a is worse than silly. He's uncomprehending. He actually right to to claim that water vapour is the most important greenhouse gas, but since atmospheric levels of water vapour equilibrate within...

Supercapacitor Jump Starters
These things claim to be able to charge up from a near dead 12V car battery in just a few moments and then provide enough power to spin a car over and start it. And moreover to be able to do this up...
19
19

ECM 3.0 motor speed controls
I have an old HVAC blower motor which was removed from a Carrier air handler on grounds it was defective. It's half horsepower, with ECM 3.0 controls. It has an AC input for motor power and a four pin...
4
4

OT: mRNA Vaccines & Cancer Link Becomes Clearer
Thinking about getting a Covid booster jab? Anyone still convinced Covid arose naturally? mRNA 'vaccines' must be banned once and for all
50
50

SMPS
Gentlemen, Is there a switcher topology where the incoming mains supply is *not* rectified before being fed into the chopper transistor? IOW, AC mains is fed to some kind of PNPN triac-esque device...
11
11

Some Quick And Dirty Boards for a Tabletop Game Idea
Kind of a fun idea I had (actually a few months ago) to create a bit of an augmented experience when playing Dungeons and Dragons (or, well, I suppose any tabletop / Pen & Paper RPG that happens to...
17
17

Re: Trains were desiged to break down after third party repairs hackers find
On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 05:35:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje wrote: And PCs. There are some that are rigged to brick if you try to install Linux on them. I'm pretty sure Google had something to do wtih it.

Season's Greetings to All
Gentlemen (and any ladies who might lurk here, too timid to make themselves known)... As we all know, it's that special time of year again; the season of goodwill to all men (and of course women and...
20
20

Re: Raspberry Pi killing competition (Was: Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?)
I mean, "Micro-Cap" was only killed off in the last year or two from what Wikipedia says (otherwise having lasted 40 years). It almost seems that the company was rather small and the owner(s) just...
1
1

Re: I think this will work??
Do you actually need the opto-isolation? The switch would drive an NPN transistor into saturation when it closed, or a small N-MOSfet. You'd need a pull-up resistor to +5V to get the voltage swing you...
1
1

Re: Crossover Elimination Using the "it won't be easy" Circuit
The other annoying thing about LTspice is the part selection dialogues. It’s a missed opportunity for AD—when you scroll through the list of op amps, say, there’s no way to tell which ones are...
7
7

Re: spark plugs
You can buy high voltage spark gaps - the one I bought for that job in 1972 was glass-enclosed tube with an inert gas filling. At the tine I'd bought a copy of a 1920's text book on the conduction pf...
18
18

Re: Can I drive two inputs with one thermocouple
On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:23:11 -0800 (PST), Lamont Cranston <> wrote: On impedance grounds, no problem with paralleling. But the NI cards may emit common-mode noise, and confuse one another. I suppose...
1
1

Spice Simulators - ngspice v. ltspice ?
I've never used ltspice / circuit simulators before; though based on seeing posts to the group from various people seems it's something I might find useful (noting, of course, this is a hobby rather...
23
23