what is in an audio and video cat5 balun?

Hi,

Wondering if there is a kit to make up a Cat5 balun similar to this:

Assuming it is not too complicated. What is in these things anyway?? Very over priced if it is just discreet components.

Regards, Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

---------------------- It's very over-priced by my estimation and you can buy the basic parts of this system for about $40 from WES. and throw it together in probably 30 minutes of your time, or less.

The Ebay auction states that the device isn't powered, so it can only be a balun (ie - just 2 x audio and 1 x video frequency isolation transformers). If you want to make one yourself here is my suggestion:

- the audio part should be achievable by getting a 2 x (WES ES-711 @ $7.50 each) car audio ground loop isolators, and modifying it if necessary. wiring the open (balanced) ends to each other via cat 5 (2 wires of the cat 5 needed for each channel).

I havent tried this and can't 100% guarantee that it will work, but I dont see why it wouldnt, and its well worth trying.

(However, note that due to the transformer, the bass will be attenuated in my past experience with this type of unit (note - this is likely to happen with the EBAY unit as well) Note that you will probably have to open the case and attatch the cat

5 to the transformers, but you will probably be able to get away with just attatching the cat 5 to the RCA plug/socket that come out of one end of the unit.

- the video part - use WES VB-101 @ $22.50 (pack has one receiver and one transmitter). From the pic, it just has screw terminals like the

300ohm TV ribbon type baluns do, so installation should be dead easy.

If you want to use pre-made CAT-5 cables with connectors on the end, then buy a CAT 5 wall plate for each end,and build the whole thing into a zippy box or similar.

This isnt really necessary if you are just going to use bulk cat 5 building cable.

If you are running a video camera / IR LED array or similar low wattage load on the end of this cable, and there isn't convenient or reliable power source at the other end, or you want to power the camera from the monitoring station so remote power loss or sabotage to the mains power supply won't take the camera offline, you might want to experiment with running AC power (I would only go to about 48v for safety - and definitely isolate it from the mains) down the remaining

2 cores of the cat 5. It might or might not interfere with the other signals depending on cable length, power used etc.
Reply to
kreed

Altronics have what appears to be the identical item at $49.95 each (under $100 for the pair). Yes, they do mail order. You could be saving $90 by buying from Altronics.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Hi, I thought these things overpriced but bought them for about $90 pair a couple years ago then ended up going usb. If you are interested you can have them for $40 pair. Email lentildudeAThotmail.com

Altronics.http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S9250

Reply to
lentildude

The units I use for cctv are a fraction of the asking there . I would shop about .

Reply to
atec 77