Balun

Could anybody help with understanding baluns? So far I know they transform unbalanced input to balanced output and vice-versa. Say I have a receiver coil - one that looks like a loop and the ends are connected to a balun. The voltages on the ends are of the same magnitude but are 180 degrees out of phase. How do these two voltages get combined at the output? Or does this not happen? Please let me know...

sthim

Reply to
sthim

transformer

Reply to
no_one

From a technologist viewpoint, alot of baluns are also based upon 1:1 transformations (in differing configurations.) It seems like 1:1 transformers tend to have wider bandwidth than direct 4:1 (impedance) transformers.

So, using a 4:1 balun configuration with a natural 1:1 impedance transformer as a constituent, it seems to tend to perform better than a 4:1 (impedance) or

2:1 (voltage) transformer.

John

Reply to
John Dyson

I have a PDF on this. Just email me and I will send it.

--
Regards,

Boris Mohar
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Boris Mohar

There is always the Guanella 4:1 balun to consider that has a theoretically infinite cut off frequency.

Reply to
The Technical Manager

The best reading I have found on these mystical items is by Jerry Sevick. There are a few papers by him, unfortunately they are IEEE and therefore cost an arm and a leg and a good book "Transmission Line Transformers" published by Noble. It's a bit hard to get but worth the effort.

Reply to
Mjolinor

transformers

or

I understand that... Before I 'studied' the subject, I was also confused (like the original poster) about the real difference between a 'transformer' and a special configuration called a 'balun.' When I was a kid, and didn't realize the almost subtile differences, I almost thought that the term was gratuitious (however incorrectly.) The whole area of transmission line transformers, traditional transformers and various configurations can be quite interesting and enlightening !!! :-).

John

Reply to
John Dyson

transformers

transformer

(impedance) or

There is also a directional coupler that can be formed from two cleverly connected conventional transformers as shown in US Patent 3,426,298 Figure 10.

Reply to
The Technical Manager