lithium ion cell suppliers

Howdy everyone,

does anyone know of a lithium ion cell supplier inside oz? I'm after something around the 18650 size. 3.7-4.2v, 2000mAh or greater. Before everyone chimes in, YES I know the charging requirements of a lithium ion cells, planning to use national semi's lm3622 controller to charge the cells in pairs. and YES I want li-ion and not ni-mh due to weight considerations, I'm building a battery for a bike light. I want to run a 35 watt HID xenon and ballast, I just love the 2400 lumens a xenon gives off.

I've an email in with

already, does anyone have any other suggestions? Google isn't turning up much

thanks, Mark

Reply to
MJH

Hi Mark

I get mine them on eBay from somewhere in Hong Kong. They use them in model aircraft but come in flat packs, usually 7.4 or 11.1 volt. They also sell a charger which is cheap, but works well. You have to twist the pins on the plugpack to fit aussie sockets.

Here is my Trailtech light setup. (13 watt)

Friday

Reply to
Friday

Howdy Friday,

who did you buy the Trailtech from, how much was it and how much is a replacement lamp?

I've spent a fair while looking at lithium ion cells from Hong Kong via ebay, I'm always sus on quality from such sellers, and they give no response to any sort of technical question. Those who have responded cannot even tell me the specific Lithium Ion chemistry.

Mark

Reply to
MJH

I bought mine direct from Trailtech, but postage is a killer. Maybe you can order a few with friends. Website here

As you can see from my website I made my own mount from fibreglass and expoxy but it wouldn't be too hard to use any firm material. maybe even an old epoxy type printed circuit board. Silastic under it would give it a "bed" to hold it firm. I've bought three lithium ion batterys in the last two or so years, one failed whilst charging (it sort of puffed up) it was in bubble wrap so it may have overheated. I have a 3.5 and 2 amp hour. The 2 is a backup, it's so light you barely notice it in my Camelback. They seem to store an awesome amount of power, a bit like those adds which keep going and going and going. My mates have expensive LED lights and mine easily outshines theirs. I've been waiting for my light to fail because people keep saying how the lamps are delicate but mine has been rock solid since I bought it. I get at least 3 hours use out of it minimum. I don't use a switch, I use a polarized plug and just leave the light on for the whole ride. The brand I used is called RC Smart. The 13 watt lamp is heaps bright.

Friday

Reply to
Friday

Check out the hobby suppliers - Lithium Polymer is the fashionable choice for electric aircraft (the charging regime is identical, apart from a slight difference in cell voltage).

You can start here:

Poxy

Hello Friday,

do you know how much a new lamp is? So far I cannot find a direct source for the small HID lamp's used for bike and scuba diving lights, where as there are piles of car lamps on ebay.

Also, did you get a flood or spot? And do you find it good enough to not be hesitant on the down hill run? I ask as where I am pretty much all the downhills are long and VERY fast with run off water control ruts here and there, in the day I'm hitting 80km/h at times.

Mark

Reply to
MJH

Thanks for the links Poxy.

Charging regime is identical to what, ni-mh? IF you read these two links, they suggest the two are completely different.

lithium >

ni-mh>

Mark

Reply to
MJH

I meant the charging regime for lithium polymer is the same as for lithium ion, that being the cell you'd specifically made reference to it in your post.

Reply to
Poxy

ahh I'm so sorry for my confusion Poxy.

Reply to
MJH

(snip)

The charging coulomb efficiency of Li-XX cells exceeds 98%, so there is virtually no heat generated within the cell as long as proper charging regime is used.

Such a failure would indicate that charging voltage exceeded specs for a significant period.

Reply to
budgie

I use the floods which are about perfect. I have a Trance 1 Giant and descend hills at night at pretty much flat out. Have a look around this site for what you want.

The actual lamps are made by Welch Allyn. Do a search for them on the net.

Friday

Reply to
Friday

you can find them here @ tinyurl.com/3yccs4