Water level indication

I need to provide a simple, remote reading, water level indication system
for my under-home water storage system, I am building. Any thoughts and
experiences on a suitable sensor? Maximum depth of the water will be
approximately 1.5 Metres (maybe 1.8, if I can be bothered digging a few more
Tonnes of dirt) I thought of the logical ones:

*A float on the end of a long arm, with a pot.
*A row of contacts, arranged vertically.

Naturally, accuracy is not that important. The boss just needs to have some
kind of idea of how much water is left and how much is being used, when she
waters the garden.

FWIW, the total amount of water involved will be between 8kL - 10kL.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Water level indication

This simple enough?
http://zedomax.com/blog/2006/09/21/circuit-diy-water-level-indicator /

Re: Water level indication

**Yep. That was my second suggestion. I was wondering if there were any
others.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Water level indication

A floatation ball with simple pully, rope and weight on outside, or
simpler still, a transparent hose fitted to the outside of the tank,
connected to the bottom leaving the top free mounted to the side. You
can then see the level, but not remote like wired system.

Re: Water level indication

Do you know any Instrument Fitters who work in a large industrial plant?
If so, maybe they can obtain an old, disused pressure or differential
pressure  transmitter for you to use as a level transmitter. Then you'd
just need a 24v power supply and a remote level indicator.
It might be a little bit more hassle than what you are after but its an
option.

Re: Water level indication

**Ah, pressure sensors? I hadn't considered that. It should be simple enough
job to build something to achieve that. I wonder what Farnell has? Maybe an
old washing machine mass sensor could be reworked?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Water level indication

I was thinking more along the lines of a Pressure Transmitter, like a
Rosemount 1151 or 3051, but the pressure sensor is along the same lines.

Re: Water level indication

How about a float with a string around a pulley attached to a multi turn pot
and a counterweight on the outside.

Two turns of the string around the pulley to stop it slipping.

Change the pully size to change the ratio between height change and number
of turns of the pot.

If that is too easy, get a roller inductor and measure change in inductance
instead of resistance.

Re: Water level indication

ultrasonic units are also made for this type of thing. Much more
complicated than you need though.

Re: Water level indication

Use a 555 rigged as an audio oscillator with two insulated
metal plates in the tank a few centimetres apart to form the
plates of a capacitor, water has a dielectric constant of
100 (I think) and the tone will vary with water level.

you could convert frequency to voltage for a meter circuit
to indicate level also. This approach has no moving parts
to rust and seize up.

Re: Water level indication

**Another nice idea and one I used at a science show in high school (aka:
people sensor). Of course, we didn't have 555s back in those days.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Water level indication

more

A couple of things I've tried and/or considered:
Pressure sensors from Freescale Semiconductor
Ultrasonic sensors - you can get a pre-jigged modules that are used for
robotics
Resistance along stainless-steel wire(s) using the circuit on this page
http://www.emesystems.com/smx.htm

A the moment I'm concentrating on the pressure sensor for monitoring the
level of a bore, as it only requires dropping 4mm poly pipe down the bore
with a weight on the bottom. The integrated sensors put out a nice 0-5v
signal.

Re: Water level indication

Low cost system with remote digital readout

  http://www.electrosense.com.au

Regards
Pete

Re: Water level indication