need to convert from MIC level to LINE-INPUT level

Most portable cassette tape recorders have a MIC jack where you can plug in a simple microphone.

Hpwever, some recording devices only have a LINE-INPUT jack (a.k.a. AUXILLARY INPUT jack).

What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess) that I can plug the microphone into and which in turn plugs into the LINE-INPUT jack.

I'm not in a position right now to build one from scratch, so I need to either (a) buy one ready made or (b) buy one in kit form that I can assemble myself.

Any recommendations on mail-order places that sell this?

wylbur37

Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated

10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

If you're looking for something with an enclosure, you could try the Elenco K-46 Stereo Preamp for $19.95. You can find a distributor at their website:

Remember to avoid using a low quality power supply with preamps. Get a regulated linear supply.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

My apologies for forgetting to mention that the unit I'm looking for should also be compact (i.e., fits in a shirt pocket), and runs on either penlight or 9-volt batteries so you can take it on the road.

wylbur37

The ONLY compact portable mic pre-amp to buy.

Rev. 11D Meow!

You have got to be kidding? 1000$ for about 20$ in electronic parts and maybe another 20-30 in manufacturing?

That site is about the biggest scam site I have seen in a while. MAybe they meant yen instead of USD?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Over a hundred to choose from at:

I like:

GO BMW ORACLE! Bring "The Cup" back to the USA!
Reply to
UCLAN

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

Marra

Replacing the 741 with something superior would be an idea. It's pricey for a noisy op-amp and a few Rs and Cs but you do get a pcb.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore

That would matter for a portable cassette recorder? ;-)

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually he didn't mention the recording device itself.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

True - but the implication is it's for this sort of use. If you were aiming for a high quality recording from a mic you'd use an external mixer to provide phantom power etc as well. Very few high quality self contained recorders that have a mic input exist on the domestic market as there's little demand for them, and making that mic amp side to a high standard for practical use isn't as easy as it might seem.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alec Baldwin You Ain't!

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

We're sorry, your browser must be set up to accept cookies. If cookies are already enabled then you may begin shopping.

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

This complaint, from someone whose recommendation required the Javascript virus installer?

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their taxes,
so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!