TV's in hard rubbish

It is hard rubbish time around town and I have noticed a lot of old TV's
that have been cracked open and left with the screen down and the back case
to the side.
I get the idea that someone has done this to remove a component that is
either reusable or recyclable.
Any idea what is going on?
--
:-P

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

Are the copper deflection coils still in place?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crt14.jpg

Sylvia.

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

That's it!
How much coin would you guess copper deflection coils are worth each unit?

--
:-P

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

Despite the cost of copper, its value is SFA in its laminated state - maybe
a few dollars? Certainly far less than could justify driving (or even
walking) around cracking TVs open.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

"Bob Milutinovic"

** Err  -  per kilogram maybe.

   Take about 10 average sized yokes to get that.

** Beats collecting aluminium cans at 0.5 cents each.

....  Phil

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

Still sounds like a lot of work for little money.

Sylvia.

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

Our area has a "healthy"(been going for over a decade) scrap metal
recycling activity of guys in cars with trailers circling the streets and
collecting  every piece of metal from kerbside that they can.

About three years ago, Smorgons was paying $1.??/kg for domestic aluminium
(cans) and $1.45/kg for extruded aluminium, but only $50/ton in ton lots
for iron. They scrap yard guy was of the opinion that he couldn't see how
they make any money as they had to bring in a number of loads for each
ton.

I think copper was $1.35/kg at the time. Suppossedly the prices have
dropped since then, but I no longer acculmulating  scrap the way I was.
It was/is a good way to get rid of cases from old computers.

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

A couple of months back my local scrappy said bright copper was worth
$3+ / kg

Power cord from appliances with plugs cut off were $1.50 / kg

I got about $60 for a uteload of steel & scrap ally & some old vehicle
batteries.

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

Last year one of my neighbours tossed out some pizzabox servers. He had
written on them "working - disks removed". Somebody came along and smashed
off the CPU heatsinks, which were all copper.  I am surprised they knew
that as most of them seem to be retarded white trash bogans driving
rusted utes and vans.

Re: TV's in hard rubbish

as I recall there's only a few hundered grams of copper in there
so I'm thinking "a few dollars".

If you get there first you can weigh the copper and do the math.

--
umop apisdn

Site Timeline