Sydney's Emergency Warning System

It's all over todays newspapers after yesterday's CBD blackout - Sydney's
emergency warning system doesn't have a battery backup. So if the power
fails, the system fails.

What doofus(es) speced, designed, and signed off on such a system?

Dave.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:37:01 +1100, "David L. Jones"

What does Sydneys emergency warning system actually do?
Who does it warn and what does it warn them of?

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

Apparently no-one and nothing!
And many people didn't hear it when it was trialled anyway.

MrT.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

It's a public address loudspeaker and signage system for the Sydney CBD.
It uses around 100 speakers mounted on traffic light poles, and about a
dozen message boards.

It was put in for the APEC summit in 2007 amid fanfare, and has been
promoted as primarily for terrorist attacks, but is of course of more use
for emergencies and natural disasters etc.
Never been used, but it gets tested every now and then (supposed to be
monthly) and famously has plenty of failures and problems.

Arguably not a huge amount of use during a blackout, but it highlighted that
it has no battery backup.
Instead of using what speakers were still working, they decided to use the
SMS alert system instead, but that took them 40 minutes before they sent
something. The SMS system is primarily to inform building managers etc.

Dave.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

  "The building you are currently situated in, went under a blackout condition
approximately 40 minutes ago. We hope you found this message useful. This
message was brought to you by the phone network carriers who were thoughtful
enough to power backup their equipment."
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

Drunken Bogans

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

I guess you never had a contract for government/public service and tried
communicate with their engineers...

Tom

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

wow, that is really bad. I always found the engineers to be clueie, but
the managers/accountants/legalites out of it.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

The 'engineers' don't work for the goverment, they might work in the
engineering department, and there job title might be 'design engineer' but
they aren't engineers. The government comes up with ideas by itself without
consulting engineers etc. and then outsources the projects. Which is why so
much stuff is unbelievably useless, and anything that isn't is because its
run be a seperate goverment 'company'.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System
I don't know who they are... spoke to one PLC "expert" who never heard of
RS-485. Department of Commerce, apparently they doing technical work for small
organizations without technical expertise, like councils. Anyway, after a while
we have received a spec for the project. Same day a phone call from another
company involved in the project, they proposed to get together and work out
between us what we'll do so we can up with something that works. Apparently they
don't understand much from the spec, nor do we but at least we both know what
the government wants to achieve.

Tom

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

Many government departments employ a number of people with Engineering
degrees, some with great experience. Unfortunately these people are rarely
listened to by the people in charge.

(And many so called "engineers" who work for private industry have no real
qualifications and even less ability in some cases.)

MrT.

Re: Sydney's Emergency Warning System

Yep.

Don't look too closely at your local council.

Site Timeline