Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Apple 1 original $75K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

C4040 ES INTEL CPU RARE $800K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Funny that all the other C4040 engineering samples are in white
packages, not brown, and do not have a 1975 date code. How would an
Intel sample get to China to begin with?

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

doesn't look much like this one does it?
http://www.rarecpus.com/images/intelC4040.jpg

here is another nice little collection of pictures:
http://www.willsmith.org/collectible_chips /

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

just found a whole bunch of them which may throw a different light on the
subject.
http://www.chipdb.org/cat-4040-350.htm

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Your "Chinese" is a common sidebraze used "in-house." Maybe the other
packages were for engineering samples that went to outside vendors.

The free shipping makes this deal so tempting. Wait, that price isn't in
rupees?

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I have 100 TRILLION Dollars so it's no problem for me - they want Zimbabwe
dollars right?

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

So here's how it would go: Buyer pays $800K for chip.  Buyer gets chip
but doesn't dare power it (that's a whole different issue).  How does
the buyer know the chip is genuine?  Is it worth more if it works?

Now consider powering it:

Will powering it destroy it?  If buyer does power it and it tests bad,
should he open it to find out if he was fleeced (risking devaluing it),
just ask for his money back, or just sell it to the next sucker
perpetuating the sucker train.

I just don't see how one can see buying "collectible" micros a good thing.

JJS

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

Wouldn't the 4004 be even more valuable?

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I should hope so, but at $800K for a 4040, I figure it is about $799.9K over
priced.

--
Don McKenzie

Web's best price on Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
So, you'd pay $100 to get one ??

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

If it came with a certificate of authenticity.......how easy would it be to clone
a 4040 these days?

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

I never saw such a paper. Paper, right?
How I can be sure that certificate itself is not cloned?

StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
@yahoo.com says...

Certificate of Authenticity was very much a 90's thing, until M$oft and
Intel then started doing it I doubt anyone actually had even thought of
them, except for pop memorabilia.

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

priced.

I agree. Does make me wonder what the two 4004's
I gave away a couple years ago are worth

w..

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:35:08 -0400, Walter Banks

priced.

According to this article, they were worth $212-$550 each in 2005, on
eBay.

http://www.chipsetc.com/computer-memorabilia-collectors.html

Less than 25 cents/transistor, vs less than 1.5E-5 cents/transistor on
a Gulftown i7 (about 2 million times more expensive).

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
priced.

Confucius say
Many valuable things for sale on ebay with teeny tiny turnover.

--
Don Kuenz

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

That reminds me, a few years back I noticed
some items listed for greater than 10 times
the going rate and they were NOT quantity 10 lots.

I concluded they were part of some kind of
credit card fraud or money laundering scheme.

Why else would somebody buy an item for
2000 each when multiple vendors were
quite active selling the exactly identical
item for 200 each?

Is it possible that the same kind of racket has
jumped on "antique" computer items to
more easily conceal the apparent money laundering?

eBay just last week formally banned listings for
"intangeable" items like prayers and hexes.

"Antique" items may be the next best thing
for money laundering rackets since "going rate"
might be impossible to determine and fair price
might depend massively on historical or
personal sentimental value.

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

No, the buyer must not do anything that might reveal the item to be a
fake. As long as the buyer has no grounds for such a belief, he can let
the thing appreciate some more, and then sell it at a profit. The moment
he knows it's a dud, his investment is lost.

Sylvia.

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

Schrodinger's chip?

Re: Some very old, expensive, and interesting computer items on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item16%0810171525&nma=true&rt=nc&si=dvqofCNLX4lPgItmd0XSxR9XUaQ%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4040-ES-INTEL-CPU-RARE-/190404561375?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2c54ff09df

**This is very interesting. I have a 256k printer buffer I purchased
from you a few years back, that may be worth a fortune one day.

Yay!

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Site Timeline