sola power conditioners

im looking for some cap's for my

2 power conditioners model SOLA series 200 and 210. the cap's are 16uf 660volt AC large mettel can type like in microwave ovens.

thanks anyone

Reply to
sideshow bob

"sideshow bob"

** Farnell in One have 440 volt AC, polypropylene caps in metal, stud mounting cases.

A 15 uF sells for $ 35 + gst.

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A 660Vac rated capacitor will generally be rated at somewhere around

2500 - 2700Vdc depending upon the manufacturer. Unless there is some specific reason for such a high rating then perhaps you could use a 450Vac rated capacitor. 660Vac caps are not so easy to find in small quantities.

Wiltronics have 15uF, 450Vac polypropylene cap at $13.52 ea.

Acecorp has 16uF, 450Vac MKP @$11.60.

Ross Herbert

it has to be 660volt AC, i took a reading has over 600volts.

Reply to
sideshow bob

Hi

I also have a Sola Series 200 power conditioner, I recovered from a skip outside a printing factory down the road.

It appears to basically function ie power goes in, power comes out - whether it is in any way 'conditioned' I don't know.

I was hoping to use it in conjunction with a small GMC alternator I picked up from Bunnings for $98. This unit is rated at 750W and runs very nicely. The only problem is that under light loads (under about

150W), the output voltage heads for around 260 - 270 volts.

Unfortunately the output from the Sola tends to follow the input voltage, so I am not sure if this is a fault or whether the unit is simply not designed to regulate voltage. All that is in the unit is a large capacitor and a very large transformer.

If anyone has any details and / or a diagram of the unit, I will be very grateful for a copy.

TIA

Dave Goldfinch

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

I could not find the Australian site. It seems Sola has been taken over. However I did find some detailed information here:

I bought a used one that was intended to protect my computer but the ferroresonant transformer makes an intolerable noise for home or office use. I guess that's not an issue if it is next to a generator.

Reply to
David Segall

it's the cap's that do the magic. the transformer has 2 magnetic paths. the mains is isolated, the eath is not.

Reply to
sideshow bob

Sola has been amalgamated under the Powerware brand name and the distributing company is now called Power-On Australia

A precis of the amalgamation is given here

Ross Herbert

Thanks for that.

Maybe the unit is operating within specs, I really need a variac to prove the point.

Mine also makes an annoying buzz, but as you say, next to the generator this is not a problem !

I would very much like to see a diagram of how the windings on the transformer are configured - I can sort of trace the circuit, but I have no way of knowing if there are shorts between windings or whether the continuity I see between terminals is as designed.

Dave Goldfinch

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

You are welcome to borrow mine. By comparing the two you should get a good idea if yours is working properly and that you have traced the circuit correctly. I'm in Melbourne eastern suburbs. Sorry, I won't post it to you even if you could afford the postage :) Email me at david at segall dot net.

Reply to
David Segall

as soon as i get them back i will trace the circuit, ill see if i can work it out.

you will fined that the output eath is tied to the N side on secondry.

but still looking for the cap.s

Reply to
sideshow bob

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I wont be taking you up on it, I am in Perth !

Dave Goldfinch

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

i think i have worked it out.

on the secondry the first tap of the winding is connected to one side of the caps the next tap gos to the N output and tied to earth. next tap gos to the A output. next tap gos to the end of the next winding. the end of that winding gos to the other end of the caps. the primery winding is isolated.

this mite not be exact between the first tap and second tap is 90volt, between second tap and 3rd is youre out put 240volt, between 3rd and

4th 90volt, that links to 3rd winding, that should have 240volt accross it, caps should have 660volt accross them. will not work properly without them.
Reply to
sideshow bob

Try Adilam:

Ken