SOLA series 200 and 210.
the cap's are 16uf 660volt AC
large mettel can type like in
microwave ovens.

thanks
anyone

Re: sola power conditioners

"sideshow bob"

**  Farnell in One have  440 volt AC,  polypropylene caps in metal, stud
mounting cases.

   A 15 uF sells for $ 35   + gst.

..............    Phil

Re: sola power conditioners

On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:27:57 +1000, "sideshow bob"

A 660Vac rated capacitor will generally be rated at somewhere around
2500 - 2700Vdc depending upon the manufacturer. Unless there is some
specific reason for such a high rating then perhaps you could use a
450Vac rated capacitor. 660Vac caps are not so easy to find in small
quantities.

Wiltronics have 15uF, 450Vac polypropylene cap at $13.52 ea.
http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/shop.php?cid55%1

Acecorp has 16uF, 450Vac MKP @$11.60.
http://www.acecorp.com.au/Capacitors.htm

Re: sola power conditioners

it has to be 660volt AC, i took a reading
has over 600volts.

Re: sola power conditioners

On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:27:57 +1000, "sideshow bob"

Hi

I also have a Sola Series 200 power conditioner, I recovered from a
skip outside a printing factory down the road.

It appears to basically function ie power goes in, power comes out -
whether it is in any way 'conditioned' I don't know.

I was hoping to use it in conjunction with a small GMC alternator I
picked up from Bunnings for $98. This unit is rated at 750W and runs
very nicely. The only problem is that under light loads (under about
150W), the output voltage heads for around 260 - 270 volts.

Unfortunately the output from the Sola tends to follow the input
voltage, so I am not sure if this is a fault or whether the unit is
simply not designed to regulate voltage. All that is in the unit is a
large capacitor and a very large transformer.

If anyone has any details and / or a diagram of the unit, I will be
very grateful for a copy.

TIA

Dave Goldfinch

Re: sola power conditioners

I could not find the Australian site. It seems Sola has been taken
over. However I did find some detailed information here:
<http://www.sola-hevi-duty.com/products/powerconditioning/mcr_mpcport.htm#Specifications
I bought a used one that was intended to protect my computer but the
ferroresonant transformer makes an intolerable noise for home or
office use.  I guess that's not an issue if it is next to a generator.

Re: sola power conditioners

Sola has been amalgamated under the Powerware brand name and the
distributing company is now called Power-On Australia
http://www.poweronaustralia.com.au /

A precis of the amalgamation is given here
http://www.poweronaustralia.com.au/pdfs/sola_to_powerware.pdf

Re: sola power conditioners

Thanks for that.

Maybe the unit is operating within specs, I really need a variac to
prove the point.

Mine also makes an annoying buzz, but as you say, next to the
generator this is not a problem !

I would very much like to see a diagram of how the windings on the
transformer are configured - I can sort of trace the circuit, but I
have no way of knowing if there are shorts between windings or whether
the continuity I see between terminals is as designed.

Dave Goldfinch

Re: sola power conditioners

You are welcome to borrow mine. By comparing the two you should get a
good idea if yours is working properly and that you have traced the
circuit correctly. I'm in Melbourne eastern suburbs. Sorry, I won't
post it to you even if you could afford the postage :) Email me at
david at segall dot net.

Re: sola power conditioners

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I wont be taking you up on it, I
am in Perth !

Dave Goldfinch

Re: sola power conditioners

it's the cap's that do the magic.
the transformer has 2 magnetic paths.
the mains is isolated, the eath is not.

Re: sola power conditioners

as soon as i get them back i will
trace the circuit, ill see if i can work it out.

you will fined that the output eath is
tied to the N side on secondry.

but still looking for the cap.s

Re: sola power conditioners

i think i have worked it out.

on the secondry the first tap of the
winding is connected to one side of the caps
the next tap gos to the N output and tied to earth.
next tap gos to the A output.
next tap gos to the end of the next winding.
the end of that winding gos to the other end
of the caps.
the primery winding is isolated.

this mite not be exact
between the first tap and second tap
is 90volt, between second tap and 3rd
is youre out put 240volt, between 3rd and
4th 90volt, that links to 3rd winding, that
should have 240volt accross it, caps should
have 660volt accross them.
will not work properly without them.

Re: sola power conditioners

Try Adilam: