Power blackout?

Are we in major power blackout in S. Ca? No news on TV yet? I am on standby power.

Reply to
linnix

A 500kv line from Az went down this afternoon. Estimates are a day or so until everyone is back.

Outage extends from San diego to Arizona.

Martin Riddle

Martin Riddle formulated the question :

Its been on the news for 3 or 4 hours in Australia but then we have what seems to be a more relisable power grid to run the broadcasters. l-)

--
John G.
Reply to

Hard to watch the news whether a broadcaster is casting it or not, when your TV is on hiatus, idiot.

Reply to
BarnCat

BarnCat brought next idea :

I could have written BROADCASTERS AND LISTNERS? WATCHERS I suppose just for you to understand. ;-)

--
John G.
Reply to

"more relisable power grid to run..."

Sorry, dumbass, but our broadcasters are all 'up' and were never 'down'.

And so you know, they all (even yours, idiot) have emergency power generation ON SITE., so none of them ever go down at all ANYWAY.

So whatever fleeting bullshit flashed through your pathetic brain to make you post that pathetic crap is what YOU need to 'understand', you know nothing dolt!

It was caused by an employee error, not an "unrelisable grid".

Reply to
BarnCat

BarnCat explained on 9/09/2011 :

Me thinks you Protesteth TOO much. :-[

--
John G.
Reply to

It also helps that you're coming in to spring and not loading your grid with lots of air conditioners - yet.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

On a sunny day (Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:06:19 -0700 (PDT)) it happened linnix wrote in :

Hey we had an earthquake in the Netherlands.... First time I can remember.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 9 Sep 2011 00:26:38 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Glenn Gundlach wrote in :

It says here on the news that some technician switched of the wrong thing.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, it's been all over the local TeeVee nooz but I haven't been affected by it in Whittier, about 20 mi. due east of LAX. But I'm living in an area that's zoned industrial, so maybe somebody's got an agenda up their sleeve or something.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

on

Yes, we got power back late yesterday.

While it was off, i powered up my generator for TV and Internet (thank Direct TV and ATT for not relying on the power company). Some of the local TV stations (or transmitters) were off-line. So, we knew it was big,

Reply to
linnix

The you must have already forgotten the one from 1983. It killed two people on the Belgian side. It woke me up pretty good (in Zuid Limburg).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The OP did say he was on standby power, so he is capable of watching TV IF they are broadcasting ...

Reply to
who where

No, idiot. The dope that made the remark (try to follow next time) is in Australia, and is NOT on backup service.

Reply to
BarnCat

Do you have any idea how much power it takes to run a TV station? The large diesel generators at the last TV transmitter site I maintained would supply a megawatt. Even with that, some of the facility was shut down. The fuel tanks only held 48 hours of fuel because of the limit on how much fuel they could store, on site.

Direct TV probably uses 100 times the electricity for marketing as they do to uplink a few watts per channel to the bird, and run their control center.

Michael A. Terrell

How many channels could be supplied with that generator ?

While the ERP for analog UHF transmitters could be in the order of 1 MW, with more than 10 dB antenna gain, the transmitter power would be less than 100 kW of transmitter power and about 200 kW mains power.

With any reasonable digital modulation, the power requirement would be about 1/10 compared to analog systems.

Reply to
upsidedown

Generators. 1, 500 KW for the Comark TV transmitter & the bare minimum of equipment and air conditioning, plus the pair of water coolers for the Klystrons. I don't think that the Ch. 68 transmitter had backup power. If it did, it was installed after I left Ch. 55. Ch.

68 was a low grade, low budget independent station that used Super VHS machines in their crappy video automation system. Not long after they went on the air they traded channel allocation with a PBS station for Ch. 18 and built their own tower and moved to the new site. Then they gave the PBS station the crap NEC transmitter built for Ch 68. It was then moved to Melborne. I hope they had beter luck with it than the Orlando station did. it took a month longer to fire up at full power for the first time, and they had to send 'Engineers' from NEC in Japan to try to make it work properly.

All the broadcast stations used STL equipment for remote studios, but most had a small emergency studio, or wiring in place to plug in their live remote equipment.

There were 5, 50 KW FM transmitters, with a couple generators to power them and their ancillary equipment. There were a lot of trunked radio transmitters. (A 30' * 30' room full of them) and base stains for the Forestry service and other government agencies. The tower site was listed as 1749 feet AAT, and the tallest tower in Central Florida.

It WAS an analog TV station. The RF out was a combined 195 KW before it fed the diplexer and about 1820 feet of waveguide. By the time you add in all the losses and the power required to drive the three EEV Klystrons, along with the control room and the Lecart video automation system it took most of that 500 KW. The transmitter and maintenance area was kept at 72 F, while the control room & site office was kept at 65 F. to extend equipment life.

The generators for the FM operation was designed & built for eight stations, for future expansion without having to modify the FM curtain antenna ( at 1200 feet above ground) or rewire the complex. Most of Orlando's FM stations were at that site, near Orange City, Florida. It was a new tower, a new building and was designed to make it easy to get equipment in and out, without knocking holes in the concrete walls.

Michael A. Terrell

geez you're fscking slow. Di we need to use small words so you can keep up?

Reply to
who where