So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Here is what you do:
Sell on-line to over 200 countries, but don't charge them the Australian 10%
GST. And it is legal.

You can sell to the European Union and save them 20% VAT.
You can sell to New Zealand and save them 15% GST.

Boy, what a big kick start this will be for you.

But your prices will have to be competitive, as they buy from the same shop you
do. It's called China.
And your shipping costs will have to be competitive too, otherwise there will be
no advantage for them to buy from you.

NOTE *** These comments apply only to what I consider low value goods. Under
$1000AUD.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

**[CHUCKLE]

You're a bad man, Don. A very bad man.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

How come we can buy from the US cheaper than here, even if postage,GST
and duties are added? (Even when the dollar was at 80 cents.)  That's
not China BTW and they have to support the US government with duties etc.

Figures around indicate it's only 3% of retail Australian spending that
Gerry and his mates are concerned.

Now if we look at the profits that these BIG companies make and
distribute to their share holders, how much money leaves the country.

What about all those Australia companies that have been bought by
overseas investments, profits go overseas again.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

US website does not offer "60 months intrese free terms"

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Don't be fooled
They charge a $$$$$$ account keeping fee instead which is around 3
times what one would pay using a Visa/Mastercard
--
Petzl
http://home.iprimus.com.au/petzl/Mono.htm

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

I remember one of those evening newstainment shows interviewing
Ger about his "no money to pay for a year" plans and he
saying he'd never use them because there were not good deals.

--
What profiteth a man if he gain the whole world but lose sight of the
basic results of multivariate decision theory?

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Don't know about NZ but most EU countries will charge the receiver with
VAT/duties. I've sent a few presents there, kids toys and clothes went
ok but a $100 laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and duty before the
parcel was delivered. On other hand $50 RC helicopter was free from
government greed.

I guess might depend on the country.

Tom

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?
VAT/duties. I've sent a few presents there, kids
duty before the parcel was delivered. On

Granted Tom, it was a blanket comment, and individual counties have different
rules.

However in principle, I can buy a $1K software package from the US, and sell it
to a customer in the UK without VAT,
providing it is web downloaded. If is is on a CD and needs to be shipped, then
customs becomes involved.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.

No they dont.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and
from government greed.

So clearly most dont incur VAT and duty.

Corse it does.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?
VAT/duties.

If it comes from outside the EU and goes physically through customs they
will collect duty/VAT unless its walue is very small, differrent
countries have different understanding of small value.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and
free from government greed.

Most of the small stuff - no. Anything of value - yes. I know of at
least one coutry that does not believe values declared on parcels from
known Chinese/HK dealers, they open the parcels and apply their own
value estimate for duty purposes.

Tom

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.

collect duty/VAT unless its walue is

And that is precisely what we do ourselves.

And your original claim is just plain wrong.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

That last is a lie as your RC helicopter proves.

from known Chinese/HK dealers, they

As we do ourselves.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.

Yes they do.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/index_en.htm

For example, to buy a Rigol LCD-based DSO from China or the USA, you have to pay
VAT but no duty.
To import a real CRO (with a CRT), you have to pay VAT plus 4% duty.
In Germany the VAT is 19%.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT and duty before
government greed.

Only if they are below about 50 Euro in declared value.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.

No they dont in the sense of charging that on all transactions, regardless of
how low value they are.

They dont for example charge that in stuff you bring in with you on a plane
flight etc.

They have exemptions, just like we do.

pay VAT but no duty. To import a real CRO

Not on every transaction.

Same with us. The only thing that varys is the value below which they dont
bother.

And it isnt universally 50 euro either.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.
how low value they are.
flight etc.

I thought the thread topic was buying on the internet, not passenger allowances.
Passenger allowances are completely different from the import regulations.

pay VAT but no duty. To import a real CRO (with a

You will have to pay 19% VAT on any oscilloscope imported into the EU . The
extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

bother.

No, that's a ballpark figure. The exemptions kick in when the duty payable would
be
less than a certain amount, which varies according to the goods.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will pay 19% VAT on an item like
a Rigol DSO,
which comes from outside the EU because I have asked Customs that exact question,
based on a value of USD400.
One exemption is if you are a salesman and you are importing samples - special
allowances apply. But if you try that as a scam and they find out you could get
a 50k fine.

http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/b0_customs_procedures/index.html#customs_procedures15
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/a0_passenger_traffic/b0_non_ec_countries/index.html#non_ec_countries1

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.

allowances.

Nope, just another example of what doesnt get charge the GST or equivalent.

And you just ignored my point that even with internet transactions, EVERYONE
has exemption levels, its just the level that varys between countrys.

NO ONE charges GST or its equivalent on all stuff received from outside the
country.

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

Pity about other cheaper stuff that comes in VAT free.

bother.

goods.

And we used to have that system ourselves, and then got a clue
and have the more easily administered system we now have instead.

Customs that exact question, based on a

And plenty of other stuff doesnt see you pay any VAT when its imported.

AND you pay GST if you import that Rigol DSO into australia, ANYWAY.

allowances apply. But if you try that

We have the same thing.

http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/b0_customs_procedures/index.html#customs_procedures15
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/a0_passenger_traffic/b0_non_ec_countries/index.html#non_ec_countries1

And that says that lower value items dont get charged VAT, just like we dont.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

VAT/duties.
allowances.

You are hardly going to fly overseas just to buy something duty-free though,
so it isn't relevant.

country.

I used the Rigol DSO as a relevant example. AFAIK all electronic goods attract
the 19% VAT.
(I am in Germany, and am referring to importing from non-EU countries like USA,
China etc.)

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

Like nappies or food, maybe ? They are untaxed.
AFAIK all electronic imports from non-EU countries attract the full VAT, and
that is what
most people here would be interested in importing.

bother.
goods.
asked Customs that exact question, based on a value of

Like nappies ? Electronic stuff does attract VAT if it exceeds the minimum value.

Because it costs more than the minimum set for exemption. Same as here.

special allowances apply. But if you try that as a scam
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/b0_customs_procedures/index.html#customs_procedures15
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/a0_passenger_traffic/b0_non_ec_countries/index.html#non_ec_countries1

Exactly, if you buy a DSO or something that costs a few hundred, you pay VAT.
If you buy a few LEDs etc. you don't pay any VAT.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

But plenty do take the opportunity when on a trip to buy stuff more cheaply
than they can get it at home.

Wrong.

has exemption levels, its just the level

country.

No it is not, because you pay GST on something like that when you import that
into this country.

Thats just plain wrong with the cheapest stuff.

USA, China etc.)

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

So are the cheaper electronics items too.

Nope, it doesnt apply to the cheapest stuff.

Wrong.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT

would be less than a certain amount,

Nope, the cheaper stuff.

Does here too.

So that example isnt relevant, we pay GST when we import that, like I said.

http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/b0_customs_procedures/index.html#customs_procedures15
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/faq/a0_passenger_traffic/b0_non_ec_countries/index.html#non_ec_countries1

And we pay GST when we import one of those too.

So there is no fundamental difference at all, just a different minimum value,
like I said.

And in the case of germany, different rules apply to imports from EU countrys
too.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

would be
like a Rigol DSO,
question,
a 50k fine.

Fact is Austalia has no duty on imported goods. This was replaced with
a "point of sale" GST (Grab Snatch & Take).
--
http://tinyurl.com/atheist-mp3

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

Sorry but it is the Get Stuffed Tax.

Re: So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

GST. And it is legal.

How do you know that these countries will not have to pay GST on these
imports?

Site Timeline