So you want a level playing field Mr. Harvey?

GST. And it is legal.

No you can't, unless the value is less than 50 or so Euro.

you do. It's called China.

be no advantage for them to buy from you.

$1000AUD.

Reply to
fritz

GST. And it is legal.

place to collect this tax for the Australian Tax

to.

hard. Brazil often wants up to 100% tax. India seems

much you spend collecting such a small amount for tax

The EU countries all charge their own version of GST plus duty if applicable. The Poms have just put up their GST to 20%. Germany has charged 19% for many years. You have to search the customs data to see if what you are importing attracts duty as well.

fritz

The Poms have just put up

the customs data to

Thanks Fritz,

a good reference site.

I saw the Taxation: Commission launches debate on the future of Value Added Tax (VAT) document is available in HTML, PDF, and DOC, and all in a choice of 22 languages.

After a lot of looking, I found the pdf for VAT rates:

WOW!

25% for Denmark, and Sweden. This is a joke, right?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

GST. And it is legal.

correcto-mondo Fritz :-)

yes it has to be of low value. I am just checking that site out you gave, to see if we have a pdf that covers all countries.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

The Poms have just put up

the customs data to

Tax (VAT) document is available in HTML, PDF, and DOC,

More than a few EU countries have max. 25% VAT, but they all have different sub-rates and exemptions etc. for things like nappies .....

In Germany the tax/duties have to be paid either in advance (hardly ever happens that way, all Internet suppliers disclaim responsibility) or when you collect the goods. Usually, they will be delivered to your door together with a customs assessment, which you have to pay on the spot. If you have done your homework and told the supplier the relevant TARIC code to put on the delivery docket, you will avoid any hassles. For example, if I wanted to buy a Rigol DSO from a Hong Kong internet supplier, I would have to quote the relevant TARIC code from :

I can't avoid the 19% German VAT (MWST in Kraut-speak!), but I could avoid an extra 4% duty by noting that the Rigol is not a 'CRT oscilloscope', it is an 'electronic oscilloscope'. Such is the crap in the detail of GST laws everywhere.

Reply to
fritz

fritz wrote

VAT/duties.

No they dont in the sense of charging that on all transactions, regardless of how low value they are.

They dont for example charge that in stuff you bring in with you on a plane flight etc.

They have exemptions, just like we do.

pay VAT but no duty. To import a real CRO

Not on every transaction.

Same with us. The only thing that varys is the value below which they dont bother.

And it isnt universally 50 euro either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

VAT/duties.

how low value they are.

flight etc.

I thought the thread topic was buying on the internet, not passenger allowances. Passenger allowances are completely different from the import regulations.

pay VAT but no duty. To import a real CRO (with a

You will have to pay 19% VAT on any oscilloscope imported into the EU . The extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

bother.

No, that's a ballpark figure. The exemptions kick in when the duty payable would be less than a certain amount, which varies according to the goods. I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will pay 19% VAT on an item like a Rigol DSO, which comes from outside the EU because I have asked Customs that exact question, based on a value of USD400. One exemption is if you are a salesman and you are importing samples - special allowances apply. But if you try that as a scam and they find out you could get a 50k fine.

fritz

fritz wrote

VAT/duties.

allowances.

Nope, just another example of what doesnt get charge the GST or equivalent.

And you just ignored my point that even with internet transactions, EVERYONE has exemption levels, its just the level that varys between countrys.

NO ONE charges GST or its equivalent on all stuff received from outside the country.

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

Pity about other cheaper stuff that comes in VAT free.

bother.

goods.

And we used to have that system ourselves, and then got a clue and have the more easily administered system we now have instead.

Customs that exact question, based on a

And plenty of other stuff doesnt see you pay any VAT when its imported.

AND you pay GST if you import that Rigol DSO into australia, ANYWAY.

allowances apply. But if you try that

We have the same thing.

And that says that lower value items dont get charged VAT, just like we dont.

Reply to
Rod Speed

would be

like a Rigol DSO,

question,

a 50k fine.

Fact is Austalia has no duty on imported goods. This was replaced with a "point of sale" GST (Grab Snatch & Take).

Petzl

Sorry but it is the Get Stuffed Tax.

Reply to
SG1

VAT/duties.

allowances.

You are hardly going to fly overseas just to buy something duty-free though, so it isn't relevant.

country.

I used the Rigol DSO as a relevant example. AFAIK all electronic goods attract the 19% VAT. (I am in Germany, and am referring to importing from non-EU countries like USA, China etc.)

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

Like nappies or food, maybe ? They are untaxed. AFAIK all electronic imports from non-EU countries attract the full VAT, and that is what most people here would be interested in importing.

bother.

goods.

asked Customs that exact question, based on a value of

Like nappies ? Electronic stuff does attract VAT if it exceeds the minimum value.

Because it costs more than the minimum set for exemption. Same as here.

special allowances apply. But if you try that as a scam

Exactly, if you buy a DSO or something that costs a few hundred, you pay VAT. If you buy a few LEDs etc. you don't pay any VAT.

Reply to
fritz

fritz wrote

But plenty do take the opportunity when on a trip to buy stuff more cheaply than they can get it at home.

Wrong.

has exemption levels, its just the level

country.

No it is not, because you pay GST on something like that when you import that into this country.

Thats just plain wrong with the cheapest stuff.

USA, China etc.)

extra 4% duty is just for CRT CRO's.

So are the cheaper electronics items too.

Nope, it doesnt apply to the cheapest stuff.

Wrong.

laptop style DVD player attracted VAT

would be less than a certain amount,

Nope, the cheaper stuff.

Does here too.

So that example isnt relevant, we pay GST when we import that, like I said.

And we pay GST when we import one of those too.

So there is no fundamental difference at all, just a different minimum value, like I said.

And in the case of germany, different rules apply to imports from EU countrys too.

Reply to
Rod Speed