satellite dish

Could a satellite dish used for FTA and pay-TV also be used for
satellite-internet or would an extra dish be required?

Re: satellite dish

satellite-internet

Yes.

Nope.

Not clear if you mean simultaneously or not tho.

Re: satellite dish

Also depends on which pay-tv service you watch.

Re: satellite dish

I use Foxtel.  We don't have to move the dish in order to watch free to air.

Also depends on which pay-tv service you watch.

Re: satellite dish

Different sat...Not a problem it it is motor driven though and you have the
software to drive it.

Re: satellite dish

If you are getting satellite internet professionally installed, you will
definitely be getting another dish. No installer will attempt to use an
existing TV dish. The dish will be supplied free along with all the other
gear, if you qualify for the government subsidy.

If your attempting a DIY job, and if your a nooby at satellite stuff, you
will not get it to work.

The first problem is that satellite ISP's will not supply you with
equipment. You can buy it off ebay, but you need an installer or ISP to
program the modem with your login details. It is not like programming an
ADSL modem.

You will need at least a 90cm dish. If your TV dish is 65cm it will be too
small for sat internet. You will also need to replace the TV LNB with a
satellite two way unit, and mount it so it is focused correctly. It is
possible to use a splitter on the RX side to get the TV signal, but it will
need a number of things to fall into line for it to work, like the TV sat
box will need to be able to tune to the RX frequency of the satellite
internet LNB.

Re: satellite dish

Can a standard one-way LNB be used if you use a phone-line for uploading?

and mount it so it is focused correctly. It is

Re: satellite dish

In simple words  no way.

The pay TV dishes are too small as a 1Metre dish is needed
for satellite internet and the receive dishes are not suitable for
transmitting.

The satellite dish is a much higher quality and the feed is
different as it has to allow for the transmit unit ( A BUC -
Block Upconverter) to transmit and it most likely would
have to be pointed at a different satellite.

A 600mm pay TV dish costs about $120 including LNB.
The satellite internet ones cost about $600 without LNB

If you have seen the dishes used by the fire stations in NSW
they give you an idea of what is required. A 1.5 metre fibreglass
offset dish is used with a 1 watt transmitter consisting of the
BUC on the dish and with a PLL LNB that is also much more
accurate in frequency than the domestic LNBs used for pay
TV is needed. The PLL LNB is worth about $800 by itself.

This is why the systems are expensive.

Re: satellite dish

I know a bloke who actually has one left over from sat isp connections ,
thats a cheap source as there are specifics in equipment or it wont work
, is this a home done thing or a pro install ?

Re: satellite dish

Would prefer to use the existing dish and just the existing socket in the
wall.  One of the FTA channels is an
advertisment for Optus satellite internet which I presume is referring to
the same satellite.  I think it's Aurora.

Re: satellite dish

WHat you prefer is likely not to work .. it needs a certain size and
nothing below will work

Re: satellite dish

Like I said before

IT WONT WORK!

Different Satellite to Aurora
Different dish
Different LNB
Different Receiver
Indoor unit required
Upconverter / Transmitter needed

Simply No Way!

Re: satellite dish

Don't you just love these so called "experts" who say "Simply No Way",
yet those amateurs like me have ALREADY DONE IT.  It makes me wonder
if they really believe the shit they speak, or if they are just trying
to make people spend more money than is necessary.  I suspect that
they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are
simply totally ignorant to what actually is possible.

Re: satellite dish

Where is your post telling how to do it?

Re: satellite dish

Wont happen

Re: satellite dish

Of course it won't happen.  This sort of rort happens  in every
industry.  I've had supposed experts (this same moron by the way)
saying that to receive a HD digital signal, a set top box or HDtv is
not enough - and that you MUST change your antenna to a "digital"
antenna.  As I said earlier, I'm not sure if they actually believe the
shit they spread, or if they are just trying to rip people off, but in
the case of THIS particular moron, he's just ignorant and uneducated.

Re: satellite dish

Of course it won't happen.  This sort of rort happens  in every
industry.  I've had supposed experts (this same moron by the way)
saying that to receive a HD digital signal, a set top box or HDtv is
not enough - and that you MUST change your antenna to a "digital"
antenna.  As I said earlier, I'm not sure if they actually believe the
shit they spread, or if they are just trying to rip people off, but in
the case of THIS particular moron, he's just ignorant and uneducated.

Proof of having done it, is required. Or is that not simple enough for
you????????

Re: satellite dish
the digital aerial thing is a hoot , fine if you need a new one 'cause
it's buggered but usually the older one still work fine , I renently
replaced mine because the old one fell apart after some wind.Best $74.90
spent for a while

Re: satellite dish

Who is sprouting shit TG?

You are in France and don't have the faintest clue about
conditions in Australia.
Why do you post your crap in an Australian group?

You are a total moron who dosn't have a clue about satellites
and keep trying to convince all that you are an expert.

Unlike you I work in the professional satellite and
broadcasting industry installing and commissioning
systems. I DO know the engineering involved and
there is no way any VSAT company would consider
using a Pay Tv FTA dish to transmit as the performance
is simply inadequate in terms of sidelobes.

In saying you have "done It" it proves you are not even
aware of the requirements for a satellite internet system.
Of course if you have a compliant VSAT system you
could use the dish and LNB to receive Pay TV off the
SAME satellite on the SAME polarisation but if you
shift the dish you would lose the precise pointing
necessary for compliant cross polarisation required
by VSAT system operators.

Just go away and stop putting crap on our newsgroups.

Re: satellite dish

I've never even been to France.  What drugs are you on?

Mate, the ONLY moron trying to convince anyone they are an expert is
YOU.  I've clearly said that I'm just an amateur, yet I've managed to
do what YOU say is impossible.

Ahh, so the backpedalling begins.  First you said it was "impossible",
but now you say that no reputable professional would do it.

Keep backpedalling my friend.  Just face the facts.  It CAN be done,
but YOU don't want to do it because YOU can make more money by selling
more unnecessary equipment to unsuspecting clients.  People like you
should be shot and then sent back to whatever country you came from.

Site Timeline