Rigol 1052 DSO

Has anyone considered running one of these off battery supplying the
internal power supplies ?  What voltages are involved ?  Or is it easier
to use an external battery/inverter to supply mains power.

Sometimes it would be nice to use one where mains is not available.

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

"Adrian Jansen"

** The scope will operate from an AC supply ( 45Hz to 440Hz) of at least 80
volts rms or a DC supply of 115 volts.

Power consumption is about 25 watts.

...   Phil

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

"Phil Allison"

** Just for interest, my 1980s BWD 821 50MHz CRT scope consumes less power.

...   Phil

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

Only 25 watts for a CRT based scope? Did you measure it, or is that in its
specification?

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

"JW"
 "Phil Allison"
"Phil Allison"

**  The back panel says " 25 watts max " and my measurement showed it was
about 18 watts.

    At 240 volts AC, the Rigol draws 40VA and the BWD 25 VA.

    The BWD has the better PF too as it uses a small, iron transformer.

....   Phil

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

Out of curiosity I measured a few scopes I have around here:

Tek 465: 65W
Tek 2465A: 68W
Lecroy 9374: 262W (what a pig!)
Agilent 54810A 155W

I thought the 465 might come close to yours, but not so. Funny, I've never
heard of BWD, but I live in the US.

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

My old BWD 539D had a 20W power spec.

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

"yaputya"

** John Beasley ( the B in BWD ) was a frugal designer.

Had to be - making scopes in Australia and supplying them to high schools,
TAFEs, universities and service techs.

Managed for a very long time to out do Asian made scopes on price and
quality.

When I bought my 50MHz 821 back in 1985, I looked at all the alternatives.

Nothing Asian made was comparable at near the price, only the 30 MHz Hameg
( German made) was of similar quality and that was more expensive.

A big issue for me was the LACK of magnetic shielding on all the Asian 40MHz
and 50 MHz scopes under $1200.

...  Phil

Re: Rigol 1052 DSO

"Phil Allison"

** That should be John Beesley.

A friend has been in contact with his son " Merrick "  recently.

Born in the UK, John came to Melbourne after WW2.

He was trained only as an electrical technician and a draftsman.

He formed BWD in 1955 with two others, neither of them designers.

John designed every product to come from BWD, built the prototypes and wrote
the handbooks.

1977 saw the introduction of the 880 Powerscope for which John received
world patents and the company an Australian design award.

It is quite a story.

...  Phil

Site Timeline