Re: UV EPROM Eraser

Use that big bright ball in the sky, it's free even if it is a bit slow.

Michael

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

finger to keyboard and composed:

Here is a UV toothbrush steriliser for AU$15:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UV-TOOTHBRUSH-SANITIZER-STERILIZER-Portable-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ370291635298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Body_Care?hash=item563719f462

Silicon Chip Magazine once adapted a similar Jaycar gadget for erasing
EPROMs.

See http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_104058/article.html

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_2mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_3mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_4mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_5mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_6mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_7mg.jpg
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1040/104058_8mg.jpg

The timer had to be extended by adding a timing capacitor in parallel
with the existing one.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UV-TOOTHBRUSH-SANITIZER-STERILIZER-Portable-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ370291635298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Body_Care?hash=item563719f462

Thanks Franc. I stumbled across that article when i was searching, only to
find jaycar didn't sell them anymore. I managed to get a batch of 15 EEPROMs
(pin compatible) foir <25AUD delivered so it worked out OK in the end,
however, i might grab one of those just in case i get another situation that
i don't have a pin compatible chip to replace.

Cheers.

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UV-TOOTHBRUSH-SANITIZER-STERILIZER-Portable-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ370291635298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Body_Care?hash=item563719f462
If it's only for rare use why not use sunlight.
Tom

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

I presume that means you've had success with that method.  We've tried
it on the odd occasion over the years (Perth) and found nary a bit
nuked after a week out in the sun.  YMMV but I wouldn't be wasting my
time trying it again.

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

Was that direct sunlight or through the window?
Tom

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

Direct, out in the (sunny) summer weather.

Re: UV EPROM Eraser

20+ years ago I just bought the germicidal UV tube, a ballast and
starter and interlock switch (all scavenged from the junk box) and
built an enclosure for it for safety.

The toothbrush sterilizer idea is probably more cost efficient though.

Site Timeline