Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I mentioned this one coming up for auction, a week or two back:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

yes it sold, and for an interesting price.

I wonder if my piece of art is worth anything? :-)
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/australias-first-pc.html

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

Starting to make me wonder what my Mullard Magnetic Core Memory board is
worth now.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

**I wonder if my Dontronics 256k printer buffer (using second hand memory
chips) is now worth a fortune?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/rare-apple-i-computer-sells-for-216000-in-london-20101124-1861g.html

Don't see why not Trevor. :-)

http://www.dontronics.com/z80.html (writeup and source code)
Produced from 1984 to 1993. Memory sizes from 64K to 4Mb (64Mb possible) with an
8 bit Z80 micro.
There was about 4000 sold, which I feel was pretty good for pre-internet days.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

an 8 bit Z80 micro.

What was a standalone printer buffer good for?
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Offloading background print spooling from a microcomputer CPU, especially
one running a non-multitasking OS.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yes, we are talking about the days when a printer just had a micro, and no
internal memory, or very little.

When you did a print, your computer stopped completely until the print had
finished, as it was spending 100% of the time
chatting to the printer micro. When the print finished, you got access to your
computer again.

An in line printer buffer allowed you to dump the contents to the buffer fairly
quickly, and the buffer then chatted to
the printer, which enabled you to get on with your work on the computer.

That is the way things worked in the PC world in the 70s and 80s.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

**Indeed. Up until I could afford a '386 with 4MB RAM (which I could use as
a print spooler), I used the mighty Dontronics buffer with my various dot
matrix printers. That was how it was with DOS. It was pretty much impossible
to do two things at once. All that changed with OS/2, which had a brilliant
print spooler and put Windows 386 to shame. Pity IBM lacked the marketing
nouse and printer support (bloody thing wouldn't work with my HP Laserjet!!)
that Microsoft had back then.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:49:38 +1100

    I think IBM had (and still have) marketing nounce - it's just that
they concentrate on a rather different market, instead of trying to get
millions of people to spend a few hundred each they prefer to get thousands
of people to spend a few million each.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

That is my 2c as well. If IBM had encouraged and supported home users of
OS/2, then there would have been millions of workers telling the boss
that MS Win was absolute crap compared to OS/2.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Wouldnt have done a damned thing about the very fundamental problem,
hardly any of the apps that mattered bothered to support OS/2 properly
and none were stupid enough to ignore Win.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

WordPerfect was.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

If IBM could have read the writing on the Mall . . . .

IBM certainly had enough power to encourage developers. I mean Apple did
that for the Macintosh at the time the Macintosh was nothing compared to
the IBM empire.

Different market, different mindset.

--
The Chinese pretend their goods are good and we pretend our money
is good, or is it the reverse?

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

More an issue of different market *share*, I think.  IBM was used to
calling the shots for the entire market, and so expected (pretty
logically, to be honest) that the market would cater to their dominance.
Apple never had that kind of dominance in the PC market (and still
doesn't), so their relationship with developers was much more hands-on.

But look at how Apple deals with iPhone app developers.  They *are* the
big dog in smartphones, they know it, and they act like it. -- Joe

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

And they lose quite a few sales with that approach too.

Its only just got multitasking. Same thing happened with the Mac too.

The iphone is a very interesting commentary on what marketing can do,
but the sales they lose is too.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

They wouldnt have pissed all that money against the wall on OS/2 etc.

Nope. The very fundamental problem was always that while ever the absolute
vast bulk of PC came with Win installed, nothing IBM did could ever change that.

Yes, because it had a much better user interface than DOS PCs hand.

That wasnt why OS/2 never flew.

The other very fundamental reason OS/2 never took off in the mass
market was because it did a pretty hopeless job of running the older
stuff that so many wanted to continue to use at least for a while.

Hardly anyone was interested in changing all the apps they used.

Thats why Win left it for dead, even tho it was an inferiour product.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

that.

Sure they could.  At the time, they could have provided the same sort of
encouragement to the clone manufacturers to preload OS/2 that MS did for
Windows.

I don't remember it that way -- my recollection was that it did as well
on those as Windows did.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

"A better DOS than DOS and a better Windows than Windows"