Puzzle

I have an mkv file,about 4.8 gb.I can copy it anywhere on the hard drive
but if I try to copy it to any  USB stick it says drive is full even
though it is not, and anything else will copy to it but the mkv file
says destination full and won't.

Re: Puzzle

What you have is a file system limit. The 2 GB limit

https://www.genie9.com/support/kb/KnowledgeArticle.aspx?KBID11%3

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Re: Puzzle

FAT can't have files 4GiB or larger.

perhaps refromat as ext3 etc.

Re: Puzzle
Tried it on Exfat and NTFS and had problems and have since managed to
reformat another already NTFS stick and it worked.

Re: Puzzle

Sounds like it must have begun to wear out and there are too many
bad areas in the Flash memory array for it to be used at its full
capacity. Presumably copying 4.8GB of small files wouldn't work
either.

Or, if you haven't tried filling it up this much before, you might
have got one of those fake memory sticks with a capacity setting
that's greater than reality.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Puzzle

I'm late to the thread but I've hit the FAT32 limit like this before and
spent a while scratching my head before realising the problem.

I don't like NTFS for USB flash drives though, often the file copy window
closes long before the file is actually copied to the stick so unless the
stick has an activity LED it's hard to know when you can eject them.
--
Shaun.

Re: Puzzle

click the icon in the system tray.

Re: Puzzle

LOL.

Maybe I shouldn't LOL as maybe others don't but I always do that anyway
(hence the use of the word 'eject' above). However sometimes with
NTFS-formatted sticks it can leave the compouter head-scratching for quite a
while, sometimes popping up 'the device is still in use please try again
later'. However with FAT32 when the file copy window closes the file copy is
complete and stopping the device is quick and simple. With NFTS devices it
copies 'in the background' so closes the window whenever the computer
decides to, not when the copy is done.
--
Shaun.

Re: Puzzle

I think Windows XP Pro had some options for disabling write caching on
particular drives, though I don't remember the details. It was in the
disk manager window of the advanced tools (and knowing Windows, quite
possibly littered around other settings windows as well). I've got no
idea about later Windows, the below link seems to though.

http://duckduckgo.com/lite/?q=Windows+disable+write+caching

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Puzzle

Thanks Kev.
--
Shaun.

Re: Puzzle
One other thing to touch on is that windows also reserves a little under 2g
b for virtual memory. Fat has 2gb max size file. One way to cure both limit
ations is to firmat ntfs but this will not work in many other things. I hav
e the same problem with my recording desk 2gm max. Maybe they will change t
his in firmware update.

Re: Puzzle

The laptop I use for anattended downloads couldn't configure network with XP
so I installed Lubuntu.

So far - I haven't run into any filesize problems on the USB stick, but I
haven't actually checked whether any were bigger than 4Gb.

They were all video files, so chances are..................

Site Timeline