Power savers again

We had this subject a little while ago and I think we came to the
conclusion that those little plugin power factor correction devices
don't work. Meaning they won't reduce you power bill by a measurable
amount. Not for the undistorted current and not for the harmonics.

There is a new player in the market and they even send pamphlets to
private households, asking $199, discounted (RRP $299):
http://www.go4greenenergysmart.com.au /

Would you find it appropriate to alert the ACCC?

Tony

Re: Power savers again

If you read the blurb under "Learn More" you discover that what they're
claiming is that correcting the power factor and eliminating harmonics
reduces energy losses in the wiring between the meter and the appliance.
They expressly admit that the power meter does not charge for reactive
power.

On that basis the device will reduce power bills - just not by very
much. Their claim of 10% seems improbable in the extreme.

I'll drop a line to the ACCC about it myself, but I know what will
happen, which is that they'll advise me that they've recorded it in
their database, which is code for "they'll do stuff all about it."

Sylvia.

Re: Power savers again

Good, I have contacted ACCC and they contacted the company straight
away. GO4GREEN replied immediately with a long email stating how their
device has been tested by a reputable engineering company and its proper
function be irrefutable. I also contacted the marketing company that
distributes the flyer, which I probably shouldn't have done. I could
read some threats between the lines of the go4green response.

Tony

Re: Power savers again

"TonyS"

** Irrelevant that is has some undefined function.

The claim it saves the user money is not demonstrated and highly fraudulent.

** Only shows that they are very nervous.

....  Phil

Re: Power savers again

They aren't claiming 10% (anymore(?)), just implying it.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Power savers again

On their home page it says "The EnergySmart is designed and proven to
reduce kWh usage and electricity costs by up to 10% and more in a
standard single phase property including homes, offices, shops and light
commercial premises."

The "up to" is a weasel word, but it seems to me that they still have to
substantiate their claim in the sense of showing that 10% is a number
that it is possible to exceed (to justify "and more") in a standard
single phase property. An empty house with large inductors across the
power points doesn't count.

Sylvia.

Re: Power savers again

"TonyS"

** The simple truth is they INCREASE your power bill  !!!

Cos the device ( a couple of 10uF caps probably ) is powered all the time
and hence drawing current all the time - and that creates I squared R losses
ALL the time.

** Been done.

Thing is, there is no evidence from that site that ANY have been sold yet.

The ACCC are not concerned about a scam that is not in operation plus they
need to get a device and have it tested before taking any action.

Kindy find something  *worth* worrying about  -  the choice is endless.

....  Phil

Re: Power savers again

**As Phil and Sylvia have already stated, you are wasting your time. It
might be better to spend your time suggesting to the ACCC to investigate
Tony Abbott's dodgy claims about his CO2 reduction scheme. It has been
comprehensively debunked by every economist in the country.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Power savers again

none of it will make any difference as the carbon is not creating any
problems in the first place.
Julia will just lower your standard of living - for absolutely nothing

Fortunately it seems about 60% of Australians have seen through the
bullshit.

Re: Power savers again

"kreed"

none of it will make any difference as the carbon is not creating any
problems in the first place.

Julia will just lower your standard of living - for absolutely nothing

Fortunately it seems about 60% of Australians have seen through the
bullshit.

** Only 60% ??

IMO  -   rabid greenies are thee only supporters of a CO2 based tax.

Thing is, the ALP are beholding to them for any hope of re-election.

So much for democracy - eh ?

....  Phil

Re: Power savers again

I agree with that 100%

In my post, I was just referring to the "official polls" published in
the mainstream media, they show approximately 60% against the carbon
tax.
I personally think this is greatly understating the opposition to it.

From what I hear in the general community, it would be more like 90%
against.  For the first time ever, I am hearing more and
more raw anger brewing among people over this and many other things

I have yet to run into anyone who has a good thing to say about
Gillard.

As for democracy, we only have the choice between a couple of masters
that we are forced to obey and be slaves too

As seen with Gillard, they can fraudulently promise anything they want
to us to get votes and into power, but
these promises mean nothing anyway.

We live under little more than a dictatorship that is dressed up in
drag as a free democratic society, and the more I see, much of the
world does too.

As for our democracy, with its overload of bludging bogan ferals, our
"democratic system" is more akin to 2 cats and a mouse sitting down to
democratically vote on what will be for dinner.

Re: Power savers again
"kreed"

We live under little more than a dictatorship that is dressed up in
drag as a free democratic society, and the more I see, much of the
world does too.

**  Careful -  you are sounding a bit radical there......

As for our democracy, with its overload of bludging bogan ferals, our
"democratic system" is more akin to 2 cats and a mouse sitting down to
democratically vote on what will be for dinner.

** That IS s rather good.

You ought to copyright it  ...........

....  Phil

Re: Power savers again

I was close, it was a lucky guess.  Take a look at "today's poll" at
the

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au website

"Can the government on Sunday persuade the public the carbon tax is
necessary and viable?"
currently 92 % say NO.

Re: Power savers again

That's a different question. Essentially it's asking people not what
their own attitude is to the carbon tax, but what they think is the
attitute of other people to it.

Whether people realise that that's what they're being asked, and answer
accordingly, is another matter entirely.

Sylvia.

Re: Power savers again

Just the same, 90% of people think that other people don't approve of
it, and
generally people will be biased to their own opinion when they answer,
or on what they
hear from other people when the subject is discussed.

Either way you look at it, this means that a significant majority of
people dont support the tax.

Re: Power savers again

**No. That is not what was asked and not what Sylvia was alluding to. The
government has an apalling record of communicating with the public. The
question related directly to this fact. NOT the carbon tax per se.

 and

**So? Governments often do stuff that no one wants. Here's a short (and very
incomplete) list of stuff that our government has done that was not popular
(and did not require a mandate to do):

* Abolish capital punishment.
* Send young men to thier deaths in the Vietnam War.
* Send young men to their deaths in the Korean War.
* Send young men to their deaths in the Afghan War.
* Send young men to their deaths in the Iraq War.
* Switch to decimal currency.
* Switch to the Metric system.
* Etc.

The government does not have to consult with the public for every decision
it makes. That is just a delusion implanted by Abbott.

If you don't like the carbon tax/ETS, then you can vote for Abbott at the
next election. He has promised to dismantle the carbon tax/ETS and replace
it with his dodgy, discredited, fully taxpayer funded waste of money.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Power savers again
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:06:11 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

and there's the problem.  Garnaut et al are economists, and that
qualifies them as experts on the environment exactly how?

Re: Power savers again

Except that the ACCC can only investigate claims made in the course of
trade. Whatever one might think of the claims of politicians, whether
Tony Abbott, or otherwise, they are not made in the course of trade.

Sylvia.

Re: Power savers again

I do recall seeing inside one of those on an overseas trip
earlier this year.
 I remember it had a micro and a reasonable amount of processing
electronics, it is not in my field so I did not take much
notice.

Re: Power savers again

"Geoff"

** So it draws power of its own all the time too ?

  That will be way more than any I squared R savings could ever be.

....  Phil

Site Timeline