PET Aware Home Security Question

G'day

Does anyone know of a cheap "Pet Aware" home security kit?

I purchased Arlec's $99 kit from Dick Smith which came with 2 motion sensors, keypad/siren, and a door sensor, but the first thing the instruction booklet said was "If you have indoor animals, this system cannot be used due to false alarms".

So I have been searching the Net, and calling security companies, but basically I can't come up with anything for less than $500 - $1200. What bugs me, is that I've seen Wholesalers selling the Pet Aware motion sensors for $35-$70...

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Basically my house was broken into a few weeks ago, and the police/insurance all suggested getting some kind of alarm, or even just a dummy system. Even the cost of a dummy system will come in at around $100 for a few fake cameras/sensors and some pretty stickers and a fake alarm/light.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

cosmic

Reply to
cosmichobo

You could possibly mount the motion detectors so that they only detect (infra-red-based) movements above about 1m from the ground. Then your dogs/cats won't trigger them. That might require adding a small plastic shield that extends 2-3 inches horizontally forward from the base of the PIR sensors, or something similar.

... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

Thanks for the reply, Johnny.

We checked a system like that out at JayCar, however due to the fact our cats climb on various items of furniture, other than placing the sensors in the hallway there isn't really any positions that they wouldn't potentially be climbing.

The Pet Aware systems from what I can gather use a system whereby they have multiple sensors in each pod, basically such that if something less than 1 foot moves, it doesn't set off enough of the sensors to trigger the alarm. Of course, they supposedly are a lot less effective...

Reply to
cosmichobo

PIR

Yeah, right. I only have dogs. (Nowadays, only one, and he's 15 and far too old to do too much climbing). I designed my own long-range PIR sensors years ago, published in Silicon Chip magazine, but I can't remember which issue), with a case that only allowed a narrow angle of reception and it did away with all of my problems. Cats are different - the bastards won't stay on the ground, will they? A pulse-count style PIR detector would help but not alleviate the problem. My advice - how attached are you to the cats?

... Johnny (The last question was rhetorical only, please don't jump on me for it.)

Reply to
Johnny Boy

Remove the cover of the PIR and put stickytape over the bottom of the mirror surface. A bit of experimenting with the exact positioning may be required. Another method is to use a curtain PIR mounted sideways at the correct height. Most decent PIRs have an optional curtain attachment.

Reply to
D9

It's very possible to shape the beam , either by adding tape or inverting and relocating the pir , this way the beam runs pretty much horizontal above the danger point , it's not perfect but across a passage or open room it's effective

Reply to
atec77

You did say _any_ advice. I have adapted my system to monitor only a couple of areas from which the dog is barred by a closed door. I am assuming that the burglar will enter them rather than confining himself to the rooms that are open to the dog.

Reply to
David Segall

Try MCM Electronics:

Complete ICON8 kit with dialer, keypad, sirens, and 4 sensors is (or was) only $229ex Designed and manufactured in Australia, not some cheap asian system.

MCM sell the NESS manufactured PIRW/PET sensor, supposedly designed for pets.

You can get this sensors from other suppliers too, to fit any system you get. I've found the NESS sensors are excellent, better than the cheapies.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Ness IS cheap shit!

Reply to
D9

Who would you recommend then?, and why? My NESS sensors are excellent compared to the cheaper no-name ones which were supplied with my kit. Detection range and angles are better, response is faster, and they are more sensitive. Construction quality is much better too. They are an Australian company to boot.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah unfortunately in the 2 areas I was wanting to instal the sensors, there is furniture that they don't always, but very well may climb on especially when we're not in the house to yell at them... and yeah, can't really bring ourselves to ditch them in favour of an alarm system. :)

Reply to
cosmichobo

Due to the layout of the house, including several large entrance areas without any doors, we can't really restrict the cats other than to the kitchen... and I don't really like the idea of kitty litter in my kitchen... :}

Reply to
cosmichobo

D'oh. Thanks Dave - just realised after looking at MCM that part of my problem cost-wise is wireless Vs hard wired... and why some places have had 2 prices/models for their Pet Aware products. (I think it was Ness with both a $35 and $70 model..)

S'pose I can climb up into the roof crawl space and drill a few holes in the ceiling...

Reply to
cosmichobo

Took me a whole weekend to install my alarm system, not a pleasent experience, but much better than wireless in the long run. If you can install a wired system then do it.

Costs creep up though, my $250 MCM system cost more like $500 once you throw in an extra keypad, extra sensors, a wireless remote (well worth the money), extra siren, and all the cabling etc

You'd be hard pressed to beat that MCM price, even the Jaycar systems at wholesale price were more expensive and not as good.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones