PET Aware Home Security Question

G'day

Does anyone know of a cheap "Pet Aware" home security kit?

I purchased Arlec's $99 kit from Dick Smith which came with 2 motion
sensors, keypad/siren, and a door sensor, but the first thing the
instruction booklet said was "If you have indoor animals, this system
cannot be used due to false alarms".

So I have been searching the Net, and calling security companies, but
basically I can't come up with anything for less than $500 - $1200.
What bugs me, is that I've seen Wholesalers selling the Pet Aware motion
sensors for $35-$70...

Does anyone have any experience in this area?  Basically my house was
broken into a few weeks ago, and the police/insurance all suggested
getting some kind of alarm, or even just a dummy system.  Even the cost
of a dummy system will come in at around $100 for a few fake
cameras/sensors and some pretty stickers and a fake alarm/light.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

cosmic

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

You could possibly mount the motion detectors so that they only detect
(infra-red-based)  movements above about 1m from the ground. Then your
dogs/cats won't trigger them. That might require adding a small plastic
shield that extends 2-3 inches horizontally forward from the base of the PIR
sensors, or something similar.

... Johnny

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Thanks for the reply, Johnny.

We checked a system like that out at JayCar, however due to the fact our
cats climb on various items of furniture, other than placing the sensors
in the hallway there isn't really any positions that they wouldn't
potentially be climbing.

The Pet Aware systems from what I can gather use a system whereby they
have multiple sensors in each pod, basically such that if something less
than 1 foot moves, it doesn't set off enough of the sensors to trigger
the alarm.  Of course, they supposedly are a lot less effective...

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

PIR

    Yeah, right. I only have dogs. (Nowadays, only one, and he's 15 and far
too old to do too much climbing).
    I designed my own long-range PIR sensors years ago, published in Silicon
Chip magazine, but I can't remember which issue), with a case that only
allowed a narrow angle of reception and it did away with all of my problems.
Cats are different - the bastards won't stay on the ground, will they? A
pulse-count style PIR detector would help but not alleviate the problem.
    My advice - how attached are you to the cats?

... Johnny (The last question was rhetorical only, please don't jump on me
for it.)

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Yeah unfortunately in the 2 areas I was wanting to instal the sensors,
there is furniture that they don't always, but very well may climb on
especially when we're not in the house to yell at them...  and yeah,
can't really bring ourselves to ditch them in favour of an alarm system.
:)

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

It's very possible to shape the beam , either by adding tape or
inverting and relocating the pir , this way the beam runs pretty much
horizontal above the danger point , it's not perfect but across a
passage or open room it's effective

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Remove the cover of the PIR and put stickytape over the bottom of the mirror
surface. A bit of experimenting with the exact positioning may be required.
Another method is to use a curtain PIR mounted sideways at the correct
height. Most decent PIRs have an optional curtain attachment.

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

You did say _any_ advice. I have adapted my system to monitor only a
couple of areas from which the dog is barred by a closed door. I am
assuming that the burglar will enter them rather than confining
himself to the rooms that are open to the dog.

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Due to the layout of the house, including several large entrance areas
without any doors, we can't really restrict the cats other than to the
kitchen... and I don't really like the idea of kitty litter in my
kitchen... :}

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Try MCM Electronics:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com.au

Complete ICON8 kit with dialer, keypad, sirens, and 4 sensors is (or
was) only $229ex
Designed and manufactured in Australia, not some cheap asian system.

MCM sell the NESS manufactured PIRW/PET sensor, supposedly designed for
pets.
http://www.ness.com.au/petaware.htm
You can get this sensors from other suppliers too, to fit any system
you get.
I've found the NESS sensors are excellent, better than the cheapies.

Dave :)

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Ness IS cheap shit!

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Who would you recommend then?, and why?
My NESS sensors are excellent compared to the cheaper no-name ones
which were supplied with my kit. Detection range and angles are better,
response is faster, and they are more sensitive. Construction quality
is much better too. They are an Australian company to boot.

Dave :)

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

D'oh.  Thanks Dave - just realised after looking at MCM that part of my
problem cost-wise is wireless Vs hard wired...  and why some places have
had 2 prices/models for their Pet Aware products.  (I think it was Ness
with both a $35 and $70 model..)

S'pose I can climb up into the roof crawl space and drill a few holes in
the ceiling...

Re: PET Aware Home Security Question

Took me a whole weekend to install my alarm system, not a pleasent
experience, but much better than wireless in the long run. If you can
install a wired system then do it.

Costs creep up though, my $250 MCM system cost more like $500 once you
throw in an extra keypad, extra sensors, a wireless remote (well worth
the money), extra siren, and all the cabling etc

You'd be hard pressed to beat that MCM price, even the Jaycar systems
at wholesale price were more expensive and not as good.

Dave :)

Site Timeline