Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

I've got a Thurlby Thandar 1906 bench meter that needs calibration, no NATA
cert or similar needed, just a basic calibration.

Can anyone recommend a Perth company who can do this? Any idea of the cost?

I've got a copy of the calbiration procedure so as long as they have the
calibration source they should be able to do it....

Thanks

Re: Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

"Dennis"

** You need to be able to check the DMM for basic accuracy any time you
like.

For that you need a precision voltage reference and a few precision
resistors.

This is a 10 volt, 0.0025% reference for under $9 inc. gst.

http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/ref102ap/ic-ultra-precision-volt-ref-10v/dp/1097429

Resistors of 0.1% accuracy are available from 10 ohms to 1Mohm for
$1.31.each.

http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity-neohm/yr1b1k91cc/resistor-0-1-1k91/dp/1083281?Ntt10%8-3281

Buy a few, so each ohms range is covered.

20 bucks or so and you have it.

....  Phil

Re: Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/ref102ap/ic-ultra-precision-volt-ref-10v/dp/1097429
http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity-neohm/yr1b1k91cc/resistor-0-1-1k91/dp/1083281?Ntt10%8-3281

Thanks Phil - I need it calibrated by a third party as I use it in work for
others who want it calibrated. Your idea of having a means of testing it
periodically is good. Thats a bloody good reference for <$10.

Re: Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

"Dennis"
http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/ref102ap/ic-ultra-precision-volt-ref-10v/dp/1097429
http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity-neohm/yr1b1k91cc/resistor-0-1-1k91/dp/1083281?Ntt10%8-3281

** You stated that no certificate was required and only a " basic
calibration "  is needed.

I think you and your colleagues are misguided about the supposed benefits of
external calibration services - cos that only ever prove the point on *one
day* in the past.

If you add a series string of 0.1% resistors ( or 0.01 % types of you can
afford them ) to that 10 volt reference that divided the voltage by 10 and
100 etc  -  you have a reference you can use to check most of the DC voltage
ranges on a daily basis or whenever a critical measurement is made.

....  Phil

Re: Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/ref102ap/ic-ultra-precision-volt-ref-10v/dp/1097429
http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity-neohm/yr1b1k91cc/resistor-0-1-1k91/dp/1083281?Ntt10%8-3281

I only meant that a "NATA" style cert wasn't needed. As you can no doubt
tell I'm not up to date on what the options are. 20 odd years ago I remember
there were a couple of grades of calibration - with the price going up
depending on what level of cal was done. IIRC RS & Farnell used to offer
different cals on the TEQ they were selling.

I tend agree that the cal is only good for the "day" it was done, but the
company that wants it done it the one that pays the bills....

I'll grab that ref you suggested and a few of resistors.

Re: Perth - who does DMM calibrations?

"Dennis"
http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/ref102ap/ic-ultra-precision-volt-ref-10v/dp/1097429
http://au.element14.com/te-connectivity-neohm/yr1b1k91cc/resistor-0-1-1k91/dp/1083281?Ntt10%8-3281

** Think they sent the items back to the UK.

 I once purchased a TTI bench meter from them ( Farnell) and returned it cos
it has so many bugs.

 A second example had the exact same bugs and was covered in finger prints
and strawberry jam.

 It was a  TTI 1604  -   I see the god awful POS is still on sale.

** Bureaucratic thinking.

 Always more impressed by scraps of paper in preference to anything real.

** Something tangible, you can trust.

....  Phil

Site Timeline