And Perth

Who can remember Handy Andies in Murray St. Crammed with old electrical and electronic stuff, weird smells, *real* war surplus gear, I picked up a CV35 reflex klystron, got it going and put it in as a school science project. It was rejected because it was considered too dangerous.

And Atkins Carlyle in Hay Street, there was another mob just around the corner in Milligan, can't remember their name. Was one of them Atkins, the other Carlyle??

Reply to
Bruce Varley

As far as I remember, the place in Milligan was the Atkins Carlyle electronics and electrical contracting store.

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P
Reply to

The one on the west side was, between Hay and the terrace. On the east side, between Murray and Hay was W.J. Lucas. Still have in service a multimeter I bought there in the 60's.

And Stan Willis had Willis Trading just around the corner in Murray St.

Reply to
budgie

Willis Trading later moved out to Mt. Hawthorn.

Atkins-Carlyle was in Milligan St, down near where the Old Melbourne Hotel is today. There was another mob (can't remember their trading name) that were also in Milligan St, near the Murray St end almost opposite where Hertz is. They also sold some hi-fi gear AFAIR. Then there was KitSets Australia in Wellington St.

Ah, the good ol' days - I remember them well.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge"

Reply to
Peter Parker

"Alan Rutlidge" >>> the

Back then I was too busy looking at all the "flash motosickles" in Mortlock Suzuki to notice any other stores ;-) Except I can remember the hi-fi shop as it had a real flash amp thingy with an 8 track in it! IICRC it was a Sansui (shrug) BTW we are talking circa 1974 here and I was just a poor apprentice with no money.

Oh yeah I do remember the Lucas store, back then, anything that had Lucas on it was to avoided like the plague! Aaaaahhhh, Lucas - the Prince of Darkness! I did battle with him often ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

The good news is that Bill Lucas was a local businessman who - apart from being a prominent local yachtie - ran that whitegoods_plus_electronics store, and had absolutely nothing to do with that effing hopeless pommie auto electrics crowd.

Reply to
budgie

Bit disappointing there aren't more Perthites around to feed this thread.

On reflection I'm almost certain that it went like this. Initially there was Carlyles, in Hay street on the north side. Atkins in Milligan street turned up a bit later, in the late 60s/early 70s they were very similar, although different in outlook. Carlyles was a bit pokey, but (IMO) had more interesting stuff. At some stage the two amalgamated.

In another more recent topic, who remembers when RS appeared in Roberts Road Leederville? SSM was a new experience, I asked for 20 diodes of some type or other and the bill was huge, the SSM was 50 or something.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Yeah, I can remember when you could buy and individual 0.5W carbon resistors too. At one time, spearmint leaves were 20 for a penny. Times change.

Any one here remember old man Willis' big jar of unmarked small signal transistors for 20c each? I recall the jar sitting prominently on the counter of the Murray St store. Gawd, I think I may still have some lurking in the junk parts draw.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

willis trading......that takes me back :)

"Alan Rutlidge" >>>> the

Reply to
mc

electrical and

a CV35

project. It

the

Atkins, the

Reminiscing... ain't it wonderful.

(beware long url's below)

The original Carlyle & Co bldg at 915-917 Hay St. (1953)

and their new building in Milligan St. (1959)

and Atkins (WA) HQ at 896 Hay St. (1951)

PA eqpt made by Atkins (1951)

Ross Herbert

SNIP

Atkins Carlyle set up their electronics parts office on Colin St. City West down behind Harold Boas Gardens next to the railway and the one time Blue Note tavern. They eventually closed the parts group and moved everything else out to their Belmont HQ.

And do you remember A.J Wyle and Co. at 1011 Hay St where we obtained Aegis radio components and valves back in the 50's - early 60's. They eventually moved up to 1064 Hay St. and were then subsumed into Carlyle & Co.

Reply to
Ross Herbert