OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

After talks at the recent Embedded conference in Germany (2012), Olimex
decided to go ahead with the production of two new boards that were very
similar to the Rasberry Pi. The first one they should have prototypes in
the coming weeks.

The second will be 3 to 6 months before production boards will be seen,
so I won't cover it in this report, however the CPU specs on this second
board, are almost identical to the RPi microcontroller chip, and board.

Olimex describes this board as a bridge to the linux development
community and the Duinomite/Arduino/Maple/Pinguino world of developers.

This will be completely Open Hardware / Open Source Project, all CAD
files will be available so everyone can download modify, and use them.
Same with the software.

More Info:
http://www.duinomite.com/olinuxino-a-serious-rasberry-pi-competitor /

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

What's the form factor? Does it have 0.1" headers so you could add
processor horsepower to a veroboard / stripboard? That would be great
for quick one-off tinker stuff.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

It is so new, I am still asking questions Nico. Still in the initial
design stages.

I know I will be very disappointed if it doesn't have GPIO at .1"

The Olimex UEXT expansion which it will also use, is standard serial
UART, SPI, and I2C, using 10 pins at .1"

See:
http://olimex.com/dev/OTHER/UEXT.pdf

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
Hopefully also unlike rPI have mounting holes and a decent power
connector.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

http://www.olimex.com/about.html

The company has over 20 years’ experience in designing, prototyping and
manufacturing printed circuit boards, sub-assemblies, and complete
electronic products.

I doubt very much if you will see any of these problems Paul. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing what the first proto boards look like in
about 2 weeks.

Cheers Don...

=====================================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

You never know. I've worked with designers with 20+ years of
experience who totally forget about mounting holes, forget about
clearance around screw heads or move holes on the next batch while
there are 100's of cases in stock with holes that match the 'old'
version. Did I already mention small 2mm / 78mil mounting holes? If it
where one project you might call it a mistake. On almost every project
its a real nuisance.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

I just had a look at the RPi videos, and they seem to have mounting
holes and a DC power input plug.

So I wonder what Paul was referring to.

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

I don't think that it has mounting holes, DC power is via a micro USB
connector.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

I see no mounting holes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Raspberry_Pi_Beta_Board.jpg

It would be very nice if the Olimex board becomes something like this
board:
http://www.conitec.net/english/linuxboard.php

The board by Conitec is just too expensive. I did look at it to build
products around but the price was a showstopper.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
I wonder if Conitec had portrayed their board as a educational
non-profit board would they have had thousands of people clamoring to
buy one, and the price would have dropped to a reasonable level ??

Building 100 of anything is expensive, build 10,000 can get cheap in a
hurry.

Just wondering....

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Perhaps. But others boards are not really cheap either. However, the
performance of the Conitec board is very poor. The same price will buy
you a board with an 800MHz Cortex A8 CPU and 512MB of memory. It seems
Conitec moved itself into the market of professional device
programmers. Over a decade ago I bought one of their Galep
programmers. Really nice but nowadays you can buy a Chinese programmer
for 1/10th the price Conitec is charging.

Exactly. Imagine being able to put something together on a piece of
stripboard or a PCB you etch yourself and put some real processing
horsepower into it for a small amount of money.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgR74Kp6Ws4

was the first video found by google, and it has a power plug and holes.

Have removed both in later versions?

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
I think an opportunity to make a plastic case that captures this board
with holes for the connectors. (won't need holes in the board)

Maybe that's what they were thinking of doing, get another revenue
source flowing.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

http://elinux.org/RPi_Cases

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

This is clearly a Broadcom evaluation board. Not the RP itself.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
All the pictures and user guide show NO mounting holes and was discussed
early in rPI thread. Without ability to mount on or in something for
education it will be a nightmare. Let alone more will be "lost" or
is sometimes known as "trousered".

Power is by MicroB USB connector, and takes 700mA according to User
Guide. So I see a lot of problems with crappy cables being used to power
it and PCs complaining about over current.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?
Why would you want to power it from a PC? A wall wart would be a much
better idea, it is a standalone system after all it doesn't need a PC
connection to program it like an Arduino.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Firstly it is suggested by them to use an MP3/camera/phone USB to microB
cable in the user guide.

Secondly the base price does not include a wall wart. I don't think it
even includes a USB cable either.

Thirdly because that is what people WILL be doing

A classromm with computers already why get out wall warts (which at
least one kid will trouser as he could do with one or thjinks it will be
cool).

A classroom with other computers already there teacher does not have
to hand out an extra thing.

People at home forget to get a wall wart or take board to show someone
else or nerdy kid takes with him to 'play' with elsewhere and forgets
wall wart.

Someone travelling between countries and different shaped holes in walls
so wall wart does not work.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

A wall wart with included micro USB connector costs less that 10 bucks.
That is if you don't have one already, virtually every smartphone other
than Apple's products use them as a charger.

What makes you think that? It makes no sense to do so

Not if they have a bunch at home already

You don't hand them out, they are set up in the computer lab already
along with the screen, mouse and keyboard.

USB wall warts are ubiquitous.

Most USB wall warts are of the universal voltage type, you just buy a
cheap adaptor. I even have one that came with slip in connectors that
cover 90% of the power sockets in use in the world.

Re: OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Reality is especially in classrooms budgets are tight so 20 to 30 of
these is not prctical causes problems of time wasted, making sure all
bits are together at beginning and returned at end of class, let alone
whose got a dodgy one to debug.

How many wall warts and the USB cables are speced for 5V @ 700mA.

You are comparing your situation to be the same as everybody else.