OLinuXino, a serious Rasberry Pi competitor?

Very good point!!

By the way, who did set the design goals in the first place ?

Was anyone here on the committee to set the design specs ??

Anyone ??????

Reply to
hamilton

Mine will charge in an hour. One of my chargers has two outputs and will handle two phones concurrently.

*WAY* too light.
Reply to
krw

Olimex

were very

prototypes in

seen,

second

board.

developers.

CAD

them.

that the

the

position?

day

And that shirt still hasn't been ironed. No product, no win; good = product (even subsidized by Broadcom, funny situation - did they order too many millions/) possible big win. Result not known yet.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

And that is supposed to mean something? It is a sloppy engineer that cannot beat off such sloppy bean counters questions, and has a sloppy manager for letting the bean counter get to him/her with sloppy = questions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

You are complaining about high memory requirements when compiling KDE4? Have you any concept about how big KDE4 is? KDE4 is a marvellous desktop environment, if you like that sort of thing - but it is huge. It is too big to run on such devices, never mind compile.

Compiling software is typically more demanding (in memory, disk space, and often cpu capacity) than running it. But for most uses, you don't compile system software or standard applications - you get them as binaries with the distribution.

The software compiled on a system like this is mostly small programs - such as those written by the user themselves - and thus they take small amounts of memory to compile.

Reply to
David Brown

nah, if the PC is linux just run an X server (if this term is unfamiliar, look it up, it's probably not what you think) on the RPI and leave everything plugged into it.

or get a KVM switch. or just do non-graphical apps....

If it's windows (I know of people who run GCC on windows) you could perhaps use rdesktop or VNC instead.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

The RSS stats I posted where from compiling one C++ file. It should've been the point that compiling a C++ program can need a significant amount of real RAM-- far more than the 64MB in the ChokoPi that Dontronics proposes selling.

False. Both models of the RPi will have 256MB, which is more than enough to do self-hosting software builds (for everything but large C++ projects, and Java environments..)

--
Chris
Reply to

There must be some smaller C/C++ compilers left in the world besides just gcc, right? I mean, there were C (not C++) compilers back in the days of 8-bit PCs with 64kB of memory, and while, yeah, they weren't as fancy as the ones we have today, they did work and produced reasonably-sized executables that ran a lot faster than BASIC.

I've got to believe that a decent C compiler that requires no more 1MB while compiling reasonably-sized programs would be entirely viable.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

reach..)

Well, it seems you have finally come to your point. On the other hand = the RPi folks are targeting a bit different market segment than the others. Maybe comparison in not appropriate, and may never be. Then again the others are shipping, so far the RPi is still promises and samples.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:38:52 -0700) it happened Joel Koltner wrote in :

I used Software Toolworks C80 C compiler on a z80 CP/M system. Not only did it fit on a 250 kB floppy, it it took little space to compile complicated code in less than 48 kB (kilo byte) RAM.

I still have some of those old sources, but the 5 1/4 inch floppy with that compiler no longer wanted to load (read error).

I have often wondered why all the gcc crap gets so big. And that C80 compiler had a floating point lib too. Mind you, integer was 16 bits... I leaned to write code in a minimal C set, since those days my programs are very portable... And it has in line asm too....

Much of the extension to the C language is perhaps to cater for those who cannot program or have amnesia, or even worse altzheimer,

In those day you still had to worry about not using too many spaces and linefeeds else the RAM would fill up too fast. Unfortunately the modern script kiddies seem to think spaces are still expensive, and write C without those whenever possible. #include #include main(int argc,char**argv){int i,many=10,half_a_bit=2;for(i=0;i

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:44:44 +1100) it happened Chris Baird wrote in :

False pretence, if it runs X thne it runs at a fixed framerate and will drop frames on video. Apple uses that chip in a different way I may hope.

Wrong, you should have mentioned Amiga, that one actually had genlock IIRC. The rest not. Apple? Whats apple, did not Adam and Eve start out with an Apple too?

;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It did although I believe it was stuck at a ~15.75kHz line rate. I.e., the locking was meant to support the small variations in line rate that you'd get coming out of video recorders or cheap cameras, but it didn't support markedly different frame rates.

Why is X limited to a fixed frame-rate, though? It seems like having an API to deal with an adjustable frame-rate would be a pretty straightforward addition?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Oh yeah, Mix C! I wrote an 8048 assembler and various other tools in it...

It seemed pretty good at the time (and of course was much, much cheaper than, e.g., Borland or Microsoft C). ...and it doesn't seem like C code today is that much different -- at least not the stuff I write for microcontrollers: I toss around more "const" keywords, but that's about it.

Looks like they're still around:

.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:08:29 -0700) it happened Joel Koltner wrote in :

It can be fixed, I gave the link some time ago,

Better would be to let the chip handle it, There are so many frame rates and formats these days, having solutions and modelines for the X server for each one would be problematic, Running mplayer or xine in X and having it doing resizing deinterlacing perhaps and aspect correction just to name a few things, but then playing

50 Hz movies on a 60 Hz system does NOT make a real media player. Maybe people got used to it, just like they got used to low bitrate mp3, and highly compressed video.... Technology moving backwards.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Better use Xming if you want to use X 'remotely'. Works like a charm and its pretty cheap.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Koltner

IIRC.

=20

=20

=20

an=20

playing

I am not quite sure what you are going on about here. Handbrake (thanks to underlying tools) can convert between the two. With enough processor power it can do it at real time and faster rates. It hurts S/N a bit, = but where were you in the meantime?

Reply to
josephkk

I use Cygwin for the X server and Putty for the serial client. Works great. I even run my accounting system remotely over SSH when I'm away.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It isn't. "Someone is Wrong on the Internet."

Most desktops today have disabled the "Ctrl-Alt-plus" binding for changing screen mode on the fly, but you can put it back in, and software that uses SDL often changes screen mode to what it wants.

More than once in the same post, too..

The Amiga wasn't mentioned because it wasn't a system that your common (teenage) self-taught programmer could get into-- it was a starter in trend for personal computers being /too hard/ to program. It took a significant amount of effort to get into programming the Amiga to do anything more than the completely trivial like could be done in the feature-bereft AmigaBASIC.. You want to plot that classic 3D 'eggcarton' graph? Yeah, you were looking at 2000 lines of 68000 assembly, or 250 lines of C, that had to hook into the system libraries with pointers.. I don't personally know of _one_ person who got started in programming on the Amiga-- they all started on Micros, or TurboPascal on the PC.

Whereas the 8-bitter triumvirate I mentioned can give you neat results from programs small enough to print on one page. Dozens of computer magazines were published for exact that.

The Apple][ was the first really popular machine with high-resolution graphics, and got a lot of amateur programming action. HGR2 : HCOLOR=7 : FOR I=0 TO 191 : HPLOT 0,I TO I,0 TO 191,191-I TO 191-I,191 : NEXT

--
Chris
Reply to

it's big because it's got too many features.

It deon't convert C directly into machine language, but goes through at-least 5 steps along the way, this is so that features only need to be develped once to be available for different platforms or different languages,

IIRC there's a compile-time option for size of int on some platforms. I think for AVR you can choose 8 or 16 bits. (8 is of course non-standard)

you say that like you think C is for people who cant't handle assembler :)

the ISO C features don't cost you anything in the size of the output if you don't use them, they only cost in compiler bloat.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I think it does xrandr changes the display geometry, and xvidtune does (or did) the same sort of thing at a lower level tweaking the CRTC counter limits and pixel clock

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts