NBN 1Gbps.???

Now I ask, what server will be able to deliver a download speed of 1Gbps, let
alone have a network, and an individual PC
receive it at that speed? Am I missing something? I thinketh we will just be
waiting 10 times as long!

Just watching Charlie Brown, the so-called tech-guru on Chan 9 today show.
He says Gillard is also offering the filter, and Abbott isn't. Telling us as if
it is a concrete fact.

I doubt Charlie's credentials of being a guru somewhat, but why is he also
pushing Gillard as bringing in the filter,
when other sources are now saying no?

http://www.filter-conroy.com /
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/five-ways-around-the-filter-in-two-minutes /

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

**That reminds of a question I asked a long time ago:

"What on Earth will I do with 20MB of storage?"

I have little doubt that the ends of the system will be enhanced to match
the pipes. Not this year. Maybe not next year, but certainly in the very
near future.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:04:25 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

Where are the ends of the system.
Will the undersea cables out of Australia be upgraded, and if so who
will pay for the upgrading.
Or will NBNco  build us a new mega fast cable to the US.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

**There are servers within Australia.

**Not absolutely necessary. The US is not the repository of all human
knowledge, much as many of the inhabitants think it does.

You need to think outside the box. The needs for a high speed internet
connection in the near future may not be the same as they are now. Here's a
few random probabilities:

* Your local video store will U/L the video you want in a few seconds. No
need to drive down the road to collect what you want, subscribe to Foxtel
and wait for their programming department or wait hours to obtain it via a
torrent source.
* Home video communication will be a reality.
* Video conferencing will alter business.
* Etc.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

At a cost of $43Billion, I think we could happily live without any of that.
When we have no food or water, I guess it will give us a distraction. But
when we have no electricity, how will we power our computers?

MrT.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Bicycle powered generators. all those people who eat too much will be at
the gym trying to work it all off again and their work will be connected
into the grid as a renewable green power source.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

**The discussion is not about the cost, but about the use of the NBN. You'll
get no argument from me that there are areas where the money could be better
spent. The thought of (eventually) being able to rip down those ridiculous
Fotel and Optus cables is a wonderful thing.

[ASIDE] One of the funniest things I saw a few years back, was the results
of a truck almost passing under an Optus cable, strung across the road. The
damage to the house and cable was amazing.

Bloody stupid things. Should never have been allowed to be strung overhead.
Fibre will allow them to be dispensed with.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Pity most of the fibre will be done the same way.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

The
overhead.

No argument from me.

So does wireless.

MrT.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Well Trevor, the way everything is written today, at a pinch, you may be able to
add two numbers together. I remember
writing meaningful programs in less than 3FFHex bytes.

Reminds me of Bill Gates saying around 1980 (XT days), "Who could possibly use
more than 640K of ram?"

I think the mistake that was made was not stating that the pipe is capable of
1Gbps. Yes it will be years before the
rest catches up, and when it does, it may well be time for a bypass operation.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

**"Years"? I doubt that very much. Demand for services will push the whole
thing along. No demand = no development of product. If the demand exists,
then product will be developed to match it. 1 Gbps network interfaces are
very common. It would seem that it is not a huge stretch to expect that
interfaces to a 1Gbps fibre is not too difficult to manage.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Will an individual server be capable of servicing many customers at once, at
this speed (1Gbps), in the near future Trevor?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

**That would depend on the particular farm, wouldn't it? If, say, a movie
supplier was set up to provide movies to consumers, it would not be a
stretch for them to set up their system to provide such speeds.

Do you REALLY believe that 1Gbps is beyond the abilities of suppliers within
the next few years?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

A video farm?
1 customer at 1Gbps?
100+ customers at 1Gbps?
1000+ customers at 1Gbps?
More?

This may be a big ask in the foreseeable future.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Look at it from the customers viewpoint. Do they really require delivery
at that speed? IMU current highest quality movies require 8Gb which will
take eight seconds to deliver. So allowing 10secs per movie, roughly 720
customers could receive the movie in the two hour time it takes to play
on a 1GBps pipe from the supplier.

The internet currently has the technology(multicast) built in to supply
the same signal to as many of more customers at the same time. It is just
a matter of receiving software and probably upgrading some intermediate
boxen (if that).

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Let's have a look at the current world wide bandwidth stats:
http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries /

South Korea has the best figures in the world:
http://www.netindex.com/download/2,89/South-Korea /
which is 32.22 Mbps.

I feel the biggest bottleneck will be disk I/O speeds, but they will get much
better over a period of time as SSD
technology takes over.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

Server disk I/O  will be fine and there is always solid state. Priced any
ramm chips lately.

Additionally, server farms are real old technology.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

The company that I work for make big storage servers. By big I mean
hundred to thousands of drives in a box. The drives can range from SSDs,
to 15K rpm fibre channel, to 7.2K rpm SATA drives depending on the the
required speed of access to the data. Each box is capable of servicing
up to 64 1 gig ethernet or 4 gig fibre channel connections
simultaneously. You just stripe your data across many drives and put in
a big cache (up to 256 gig of mirrored RAM).

The problem with how people look at the NBN is that they only consider
home PCs, but business will be the main beneficiary.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

 Yes, but the home users are going to be paying for it too, remember?
Once you factor in network contention (not supplimenting the existing
fibre) it's going to run nominally a bit faster that what it is now.

 And I should hope so, after all, we're going to pay a bucketful for it...
--
Depart in pieces ... i.e., Split.

Re: NBN 1Gbps.???

On Aug 15, 9:16A0%am, John Tserkezis

Exactly - so we end up subsidising big business once more.

Site Timeline