MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

** Just went to find the link for Bob Parker's ESR meter.

     It's vanished.

     ???????????

...........  Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

:
:
: ** Just went to find the link for Bob Parker's ESR meter.
:
:      It's vanished.
:
:      ???????????
:
:
:
: ...........  Phil
:
:
A real shame you don't follow suit!

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

Priceless :-)

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

Works for me:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Dave :)

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"David L. Jones"

 **  No -  I was alluding to the DSE site for the (only) kit.

 Seems DSE was doing repairs on the site and the kits pages were fluky.

............  Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

Once again, works for me:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/434619670a120e282740c0a87f9c06a9/Product/View/K7214

Dave :)

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"David L. Jones"

  **  So you cannot read ?

............  Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"David L. Jones"
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/434619670a120e282740c0a87f9c06a9/Product/View/K7214

**  Hey fuckwit -  that is the link that one needs to find  !!!!!!

Go to the DSE homepage and put  " K 7214 " in the search box.

 Most of the time it comes up dead.

 So does using  "esr"  or  "esr meter"

Capice ??

..........  Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/434619670a120e282740c0a87f9c06a9/Product/View/K7214

Not quite...
Searching for "K7214" or "esr" or "esr meter" gives zero matches but it
DOES give you a "related search" link to "K7214", "esr meter" and
others which get you there.

If you click on the "K7214" or "esr meter" link and then try to search
for "esr" or "esr meter" again, it works fine from then on!
So there is obviously some cookie initialisation thing or something
like that wrong with the search engine.
The DSE search facility has always been silly, what's new?

Having a bad day are we Phil?

Dave :)

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

   Thanks for your concern Phil. :) If you go to the DSE NZ website
and look for that kit, you'll find that it's shown as "Clearance
product, stock is limited" like about 50% of their kits seem to be
now.
   My feeling that DSE Aust will follow their Kiwi counterparts. Gary
Johnston (Jaycar) must be drooling that DSE is sending all the
electronics hobbyists to his stores. Even if they don't buy resistors
and caps, there are still plenty of "Faraday torches" and weird pencil
sharpeners etc etc to spend their dollars on.

Regards
Bob

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"Bob Parker"

**  It was out of genuine concern for the welfare of the service industry
that I posted.

    Glad it was a false alarm.

 **  A sign of the times ......

 **  But shamefully  -  no Bob Parker ESR meters  !!

...........    Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

Thanks Phil! If DSE completely pulls out of the real nuts & bolts
electronics market which Dick himself targetted before Woolies took
over, which I think is inevitable, maybe Jaycar will start making ESR
meter kits again? :-)

Regards
Bob

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:13:48 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

hey bob, i just want to say, i built one of your esr meter kits (from tricky
dicky, the series one unit), & it's a brilliant piece of kit - it literally
paid for itself on the very next job i did after i'd built it.

thanks heaps!

cheers,

tc.

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

G'day Tim,
   Thanks for your positive feedback! It's nice to know that even
almost 10 years (really!) since the original meter came out in EA,
that other service people are still using (and buying) them. It sorta
makes me feel like I've done something useful for my fellow
technicians and electronics enthusiasts.
   The MK2 version isn't really very different to the original one, as
you know... :-)

Cheers
Bob

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:56:22 +0000 (UTC), timbo

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

I looked at both kits in DSE yesterday, and the MK1 was advertised
as "ESR and low ohms meter", whereas MK2 said only ESR. Is that
just a labelling thing, and MK2 does low ohms also? MK2 was a bit
more expensive, and I thought I'd postpone the decision until after
I'd asked. I don't have an immediate need, but if/when I did need one,
it'd be nice to have a kit with panels etc... so I thought I'd grab
one in case DSE drop it.

Clifford Heath.

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"Clifford Heath"

**  The Mk 2 is simply known a the  "ESR Meter " .

Like its predecessor, it will measure low ohm resistors  (  <100 ohms) but
NOT lengths of wire or cable  - inductance screws up the reading.

What BOTH will do but nobody tells you is test the ESR of common small cells
and batteries -  rechargeable ones and others.

The relative condition of a AA, AAA, C, D or  9 volt types and any button
cell ( silver oxide, lithium etc) can be assessed in a flash by comparing
the ESR reading with that of a known fresh cell.

.........   Phil

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

Cooool! Thanks for that.

Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

At least in my case I have to be careful in testing batteries.  I put two
anti-parallel 3 Amp diodes across the test probes inside the ESR meter
case.  I think there is even an optional instruction to do this in the
notes that come with the kit.  It is for those who forget to discharge the
caps in a SMPS before testing them, and I can be pretty forgetful.

When I want to test a battery, first I get a large electrolytic, and test
that with the ESR meter.  The I put the electrolytic in series with the
battery to be tested (plus terminal to plus terminal), and I test the ESR
of the combination.

Chris

Re: Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

I'd be careful doing that.  I have the Mk1 vers and it has back to back 1A
diodes across the output/input and the Mk2 have beefed that up (4A I think) so I
don't see how it can check batteries (with a 'true' reading anyway).

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
Re: Re: MISSING: Bob's ESR meter ??

"Stan Blazejewski"

 **  The Mk 1 has no such diodes.

**  The Mk 2 also has no such diodes.

**  It works just fine  -  I won a nice prize from EA magazine for
describing all about it in their CDI pages.

Do try to get your facts right in future   -  Stan.

Site Timeline