MEPS for external power supplies

For those who are interested the following public meeting has been convened.
I have modified the email address below so the lady doesn't get bombarded
with spam, simply change vog back to gov.  This is an extract of an email
sent to stakeholders.
The meeting will commence at 9:30am (EST) on Monday 21 May 2007.   The venue
is the Black Wattle Room, Crowne Plaza, 150 Day Street, Darling Harbour,
Sydney, Australia. Persons interested in attending the briefing will need to
register their interest to snipped-for-privacy@environment.vog.au no later than COB
Wednesday 16 May 2007.

The RIS can be found at the following web address
http://energyrating.gov.au/library/details200702-ris-eps.html .

Re: MEPS for external power supplies

"David"

** The above is one of the most dishonest documents you will ever read on a
matter of such public importance.

This web page was created as an alternative (with no vested interests)
impact statement.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/external-psu.htm

Could it be the new meeting was called because of it ?

.......   Phil

Re: MEPS for external power supplies

That's a thorough treatment.

The energy is less than a 200th of total electricity (gov
reports own figures). That is a second order problem, surely?
I believe, items like DVD players, VCR's, home theatre
receivers etc draw more like 10-20 watts, especially some
older designs. Would make more sense, at least technically to
focus on that.

Maybe the trouble is Australias' small market influence has no
hope of influencing the big consumer electronics goods makers
to redesign their goods, so they pick on wall plug packs
because the replacement technology is already available for
the most part.

Reliability and safety must be reduced with switchmode. is the
IEEE silent on this? I am going to find out now.

Re: MEPS for external power supplies

"Geoff C"

 **  That is coming up.

** Replacement products that comply with the proposed MEPS regulations will
have to be created in 99% of cases.

 No replacement currently exists for external AC supplies  -  transformer
makers have less than 12 moths to develop ultra  efficient designs.

In Australia, around 40, 000,000  external supplies are to be replaced.

For no sane purpose whatever.

** Of course they are.

**   ROTFL ...

.....  Phil