Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Can anyone suggest such a device, and where I can buy just a couple of
them?  The only sensor I've found locally at a retail level is the
analogue UGN3503U, at Jaycar.

I only need a couple for a bit of experimentation.  I'm in Melbourne, if
it matters.

Peter

Re: Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

"Pete"

  **  The Farnell in One catalogue has a number of Hall Effect switches
from  $5 to  $12 each +.

.............    Phil

Re: Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Thanks for the pointer, Phil, but it appears that none of the Allegro
switches listed are digital.  And, on further examination of the Allegro
web site, it appears that all of their digital switches have a strange
clocking scheme to reduce power, where the device is turned on for 60us
every 60ms (less than 0.1% of the time?), which may rule them out even
if Farnell had them anyway.

I'm trying to detect a magnet passing a fixed point, although I haven't
done any real timing calculations yet - if I can't find a digital hall
effect sensor, the whole idea is a bit of a washout anyway.

I'm still trying to find details on the web for the Honeywell and Optek
devices that Farnell lists.

Regards, Peter

Re: Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Honeywell's data for their hall sensors does exist on their own website, but
when I was last looking to see if there was something similar to the Siemens
HKZ-101 before Jaycar announced their substitute, I did find all the info on
Honeywell's devices and looked at a few of them as contenders.

Craig.
--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

You can probably rat a couple of old FDD's. Many use a hall effect
device for speed control.

Geoff

Re: Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Jaycar now has a grey-market equivalent to the Siemens HKZ-101 hall-effect
sensors which were used as the primary sensor element in the electronic
hall-effect ignition systems of most prestige cars made during the mid to
late 1980's (my 1985 Saab 900i has such as system). I'm not sure of the
cat-# for jaycar's equivalent device though a quick search of their website
will reveal it.

They cost just under $20 each.

Regards,

Craig.
--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
Re: Looking for a couple of digital hall effect sensors

Scavenge them from an old computer fan.  Newer fans tend to have the
drivers integrated as well but the old one were just the Hall sensor with
a digital output.

Site Timeline