Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision - Page 2

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

It can run quite happily from the memory stick though, and perform
without drama. Thinapp is a magic toy. With View you can even "check
out" your work PC to a memory stick (if you have the space), take your
work computer with you on the road, and "check it back in" with all
changes when you return to work.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

You clearly haven't seen any of the recent ones (<5 years old) then.

It can run from the stick as well.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  Yes I have, 'we' [1] also *made/make* them, as I said, since the
1980's.

  Yes, of course it can, I was just addressing the - possible -
performance issue.

[1] HP

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Oh. My condolences. That explains your poor experience.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

LOL :-)  Too true.

Andy.

--
Registered Linux User #478766
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  My experience is quite postive, thank you, because it's not limited to
the "<5 years old" me-too era you're referring to.

  I said "Yes, 'thin clients' are SO 19*80*'s! :-(" because that's
exactly what they are. Nothing wrong with using thin clients, but all
these people re-inventing the wheel and then pretending or even claiming
something 'new' is quite pathetic, IMHO.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Bullshit.
That's as stupid as claiming that PC's haven't changed since the 80's.

Name one thin client that provided a remote GUI capability back in the 80's,
stupid.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Well, they still have the same components, just different styles really.

All of them. It was just a matter of a longer monitor cable.
Ohterwise, it is just the application they run.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

"Thin clients" in the 80's were simply remote TTY devices. They were only
capable of displaying text - not a GUI.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

That is what I call serial terminals and they are older.

You had better define what you mean by a thin terminal.
Most to me are just mini-computers, with very small boxes.
You might also want to define gui?

Most people might think it came after computer mice, but there have been
a pile of other devices before that which did similar jobs suck as track
balls, joysticks and digitizer tablets that interacted with a gui.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Considering the discussion started out by talking about Wyse terminals, what
do you think I meant?

Same as most other people mean when they refer to a GUI - A *graphical* user
interface. i.e. A user interface that is interacted with using graphic
elements - not just text.

Who mentioned *how* you interact with it?

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Oh well, graphical terminals have been around since the 70s. So, if a
wyse termial is a thin terminal, then they have been around since then.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:26:28 +0000 (UTC), terryc
then.

The X protocol was around in the 80's, Wyse were one of a number of
vendors of X displays. At about the same time SUN had some sort of
postscript-based protocol and clients kicking around.

IBM had graphical display terminals around for some years in their
SNA environment.

I remember using over a 2400bps dial-up a lightweight GUI protocol
contrived I think by AT&T in the early 90's that had been around a
while before I found it.

I'm sure there were others.

A big factor in centralised vs decentralised IT architectures is
always the data volume vs network cost trade-off. Network is getting
relatively cheap again so centralisation is again being revisited.

Terry

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  Damn! All this time I was using a (graphical) windowing system and a
mouse/trackball and *now* you tell me that I was only imagining things!
I'm crushed!

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Not so. There were several GUI capable thin clients for Unix for example.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  Sigh! When I want to hear things "bullshit", "stupid" and getting
*called* "stupid", just 'taking' to Mr. Speed is more than enough. I
don't need another source of abuse, thank you very much.

  And yes, there is such a thin client and you already know the brand,
so happy Googling!

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Anything that ran "X window system".

It wasn't until feb 1990 that I actually got my hands on a thin client though.
(It was a re-purposed sun3) the display was huge (21"?) and had some insane
number of pixels 1.5M? black and white. (mono 1bpp)

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  Also note that the X Window System was not the only, and AFAIK/IIRC,
not the first window system, at least not the first commercially
available window system.

[...]

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Anything? We're talking about 'thin' clients here, not workstations.

While there might have been a miniscule number of them in places like MIT or
DEC labs in the VERY late 80s, X-Terminals certainly weren't even close to
common until the 90s.

A Sun3 could NEVER be called 'thin' unless you ran over it with a steam
roller.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  "Anything" is indeed an overstatement, but there is no reason to
*exclude* 'workstations' as possible thin clients, i.e. not all
workstations are/can_be thin clients, but some are/can_be. We're getting
warmer!

  Agreed.

  We were talking about *computers*, so what has Sun got to do with
anything!? :-)

  Trivia question: Which company created the first Sun OS?

Site Timeline