Jaycar QC1922 CRO pics

Just got back to work and found that we have one of these new Jaycar

20MHz CROs:
$399 retail $289 wholesale through Electus.

Inside pics for those interested:

A quick peak inside was not that impressive. A large single sided PCB with all the components very sloppily hand placed, it didn't instill a lot of confidence. Quite a poor effort really. Garden variety parts, sourced from god knows where :->

Comes with two decent looking switchable probes though.

Jaycar also have a 10MHz single channel model for $155 retail or $128 wholesale. Most likely of similar dubious quality to the 20MHz model. Different form factor to the DSE one though, the vertical design uses less bench space. I would suspect the DSE one would be the pick here.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, $399... just about what I've paid for a second hand PM3065 few years ago. 2 channel 100 MHz, designed to last and built with quality components. Made in 1989 still goes strong and will hopefully outlast these DSE/Jaycar offerings. Next time I open it I'll take some photos.

I do like a cheap price but when it comes to test equipment I'd rather go for an old and solidly built things.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

**Then forget your Philips. I have one of those things. Reasonable construction, with some nice appointments, but crappy switches and pots. Some of mine are noisy and the thing is a bloody bitch to work on. Tektronix is and always has been the way to go. Never had a noisy switch, or pot in one. My oldest Tek 'scope dates from 1964 and still works a treat. It even uses Nuvistors!
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Agreed. I wouldn't buy a cheap new 2CH 20MHz scope, much better value to be had in older gear. The only decent 20MHz scope I've seen in the last few years is a Hameg (30MHz) - really solid German engineering, but it costs more than double the Jaycar type ones. Hard to justify for a hobbyist.

I can appreciate the appeal of the $128 DSE scope for beginners though. Cheap, easy to get, guaranteed to work for 12 months, and does a basic job.

Some people just like to buy new gear though, and that's fair enough. My first scope was a new 20MHz Kikusui from David Reids. Cost a lot at the time, more than the DSE models of the day, but a vey nicely made bit of kit that I could feel good about.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

One day I might buy a Tek scope but so far my Phillips works great... it'll be a second hand Tek and at least 20 years old. Tom

Reply to
Tom

. . .

Must be Oldvistors by now ;-)

I've got a 10MHz Philips, 1970, still going strong (replaced some diodes in the power supply years ago).

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Reminds me of the inside of a typical PC power supply...

Reply to
rowan194

Yeah. Couldn't beat my AVO 8!

Reply to
<aalaan

I payed about the same for my old PM3305 as well, 2 channel storage 35Mhz, but I managed to let the magic smoke out of it on a high voltage system, long story, and I must get around to pulling it apart one day......... So, I have a little baby cheapy from Jaycar, was going to get the tricky dicky one, but the salesman at Jaycar said they would happily match the dicky price and simply checked their store's dicky cat. I was so happy about this I bought a fancy cheapy large display autoranging multimeter with temp probe and opto-rs232 interface and absolutely horrible yucky* (technical term) software that is a pain (in the ) to use but does a basic save to a txt file so I can get at it later if I want.

Pete

Reply to
Bushy Pete

Yeah, they'll hold any door in any wind! ;

Reply to
Bushy Pete

Actually I believe mine was pretty accurate. Not to the digital standard maybe, but good for an analogue model (though it was hard to shave in that mirror...)

Reply to
<aalaan

AVO8's were pretty good, as long as you didn't need to carry it around......

The doorstop award was the Aust No1 meter the army purchased to use in the field, horrible low ohms per volt, and accuracy that well, you know...... However, they were almost indestructible, with the only one I ever wrote off when I worked in "Cal" was due to someone measuring volts on the mains with the cables still connected to the current jacks. It was a mess inside, but every other scale still worked!

Pete

Reply to
Bushy Pete

Thanks for that, I've been wondering for years what to use mine for.

they

of

I remember the old PMG multimeters too that had an absolutely wonderful pigskin case. Such a shame about the really crappy meter though :-)

Nah, almost any VT-VOM, FET-VOM was better, and many were cheaper too. The *only* thing the AVO had going for it IMO was ruggedness, (including the fast acting meter overload cut out switch, which unfortunately gave plenty of trouble)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T