Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design. - Page 5

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

    Interesting idea, but I think technically knowledgeable people would
see right through it .... :-)

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC powersupply design.

   If you do, you have to release a new version every three or four
months with new features, or better accuracy. ;-)

prove it.
Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**YIKES! 27 Ohms! I purchased a Joe Master (long before I built Bob's
magnificent device) and whacked in a power supply I was servicing (it was
urgent and DSE was just up the road). The cap went belly-up within a week.
The ripple rating must have been appalling, as it was operating well within
Voltage limits. A decent cap from Farnell did the trip.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

thats what I said (or at least paraphrased). It was across a TL431 used
as a voltage reference, to stop it oscillating. except it oscillated, so
I looked hard, and was very, very surprised. I had a whole bunch, and
they were all about that bad. quite what you could use it for I dont know.

I purchased a Joe Master (long before I built Bob's

I'd believe that.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

BUT I DON'T want to eliminate the half wave rectifier!!!  It is pre-existing
inside the application.

I don't want to alter the application, at all and I would prefer not even to
discuss it.

I would like to point out that my original question deliberately had NOTHING
to do with the application. The easiest way to eliminate the unwanted
discussion is to not provide information on the application.

So, WE are stuck with AC as an input to the application. I wanted to
eliminate the AC/AC wall-wart transformer (which uses an Iron core
transformer) and replace if with a Toroidal core transformer.

Do I need to justify this choice as well?

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

"Bob Parker"

**   Meeeeeeoooooowwwwww  ........

........  Phil

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.
That is the first thing that you've said in here that I actually agree with
Phil.

Bob is a Pussy.

But you still didn't know that a voltage doubling  rectifier CAN BE a
variant of the simple half wave rectifier.

Nar, nar, nan-nar-nar!!!

Boy, this is fun isn't it.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

    You really don't get it, do you Mark? It's all over your head like a
tent. I felt a bit sorry fot you and tried to steer you in the right
direction, but you won't listen.

Bob (the one Phil's comment was aimed at - you think)

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.
There is probably about a million ...no, no, a billion things I don't "get",
but I've learnt  not to worry about contingencies and just deal with matters
as they happen.

I would need a microscope to find your compassion, mate. That is one of the
defining characteristics of the 'Phil-o-phile'.

He has the hart of a Pussy.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.
Well, he doesn't know his voltage doubling rectifier design. That point is
proven.

Philthy could get out of it by claiming that he has made a simple mistake
but I mean how likely is that event really? Huh???

Phil REALLY believes he is infallible and so would be incapable if making
such an admission.

That is why he is the 'decider' of  "what others should accept or believe"
He has inferred as much, in this very forum, about a dozen times or so.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**YOU don't have to justify anything. YOU should be aware that, for low
level audio applications, a toroidal transformer will be your worst choice.
See what happens when you tell us what you are doing? You get sensible
answers. Dump the toroidal and look for a decent 'R' core transformer.
Additionally, I suggest you dump the 78XX & 79XX regulators and redesign
with LM317/LM337 regulators. Much more significant than bothering with those
silly Blackgate caps.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

No. The application's design is not up for discussion or modification.
Replacement of (possibly faulty) component parts is as far as I want to go.

The Black Gates are price/performance competitive. If you pay the RIGHT
price, that is.

"low level audio applications"???  What do you mean? (I think I know what
you have assumed, but I just want to be sure.)

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**Were all the caps faulty then?

**No. In your OPINION they're good.

**Line or phono level audio.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Hey Trevor...
    He doesn't know anything about electronics. You're wasting your time
discussing voltage regulators and anything else the slightest bit
technical like oscilloscopes. He's probably had to search the net to
find out what "CRO" means.
    I'll just watch and smile as this bizarre thread continues... :-)

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**His belligerence is quite mystifying.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

     You're not wrong. I can imagine him asking on an automotive
newsgroup for advice about a misfiring engine.

     "What kind of engine is it?"

     "An internal combustion one."

     "No, I mean is it petrol or diesel? Four-stroke or two-stroke."

     "You don't need to know that, so I'm not going to tell you. My
engine is misfiring and I want to know how to stop it from doing that."

     "You need to tell us some specifics so we can give you relevant
advice."

     "Hey, *I* decide what I tell people - that's *MY* right. You don't
need to know any more than that it's an internal combustion engine and
it misfires!! I personally think that if I can get 150 octane fuel,
that'll solve my problem. Why is it that you instantly jump on me for
exercising *MY* right to only tell you what you need to know?"

     "OK. Then what kind of fuel does it use now?"

     "It uses liquid hydrocarbons. You don't need to know more than
that. Oh and by the way Mr Smarty Mechanic, you didn't know that to
remove a spark plug, you have to turn it ANTI-CLOCKWISE!! I knew that,
but you didn't!! Now who's the knowledgeable one in this discussion? Nar
nar nar!!!"

     Etc...

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Hah hah hah..........very good Bob. You don't write scripts for a living do
you?
If not, then consider a new profession as a stand-up comic. Based on the
above, you'd do very well :-).

ruff

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

    Thanks! Just trying to make a bit of an analogy there. :-)

Bob

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

I second that, well done Bob!

Its nice to see someone get a roasting (and a polite one at that) who
actually deserves it.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Aha! Your're Mark! I knew he had to be a troll someone had made up to
torture us!

Site Timeline