HV regulated power supply help

Hello Everyone I need to build a Variable regulated dc power supply. 0 - 600V dc @ 300mA Would a IGBT device be suitable as a control element, the only circuits I have seen use vacuum tubes but will not handle 300mA only 100mA and they use two

6L6 in parellel in class A. Any ideas please.

Lee

Reply to
spock

How about a stepup transformer switcher ? You didn't mention anything about the acceptable ripple.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

"spock" ..

** Use a Variac to control the AC voltage to the supply transformer.

Use a 500VA tranny for good regulation and an LC filter network for low ripple.

A 240:240 isolation job with a two diode voltage doubler is all you need.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There are cheap class D front ends out there that you could use to drive a final stage. Precise control, low distortion.

Yes, IGBTs would be the pick. It might take more than one for reliable operation, however. Remember... for 600V operation, you want a higher voltage device. An 800V or 1000V or 1200V device. That is, unless you multiply your output.

600V at 180W is hefty push for a single device.
Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Thanks How about this IGBT HGTG10N120

1200V 35A 298W I just don't know how to bias it yet, etc.

Lee

Reply to
spock

You should know that IGBT's can't be used in the linear mode, they do not share current across the die unless forced hard into saturation. This is ideal for switching power supplies, but no good for linear control. At very low current, it just might work in the linear mode, however.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

share current

linear control.

Reply to
spock

That's a LOT of heat to dissipate especially with an output short circuit, so you're probably looking at multiple pass elements unless you can vary the input to the regulator as you vary the output voltage. A switchmode preregulator? The Art of Electronics has a section on high voltage regulators, so you might want to check there. It talks about using a mosfet or possibly an NPN bjt (MJ12005) as the pass element.

Mike

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." Albert Einstein (theoretical Physicist)

Reply to
Mike

Part of the problem as stated is 0 to 600 V. Very annoying. A

4CX600J could do the output easily. But it will likely waste a LOT of power without proper design of the rest of the supply.
Reply to
JosephKK

Correct, i knew there was a reason i was thinking several parallel power MOSFETS as well as a big tube.

Reply to
JosephKK

share current

linear control.

Part of the issue is that like SCRs they switch pretty well but do not operate in linear modes very well (at least popular devices).

Reply to
JosephKK