toroidal Transistor Power Transformer: Why, What for?

I have a Toroidal Transistor Power Transformer that is 12.6V to 500V @

250mA

What is this thing for?

Reply to
andro000

"andro000" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like a step-up transformer for a 'Megger', an insulation testing device for domestic and industrial wiring. 250 mA is a lot of current for 1

500V output for those though, if it were a 12V input's current it would be about right.

Without more context though (size, weight, what it came out of), you might not get a correct answer unless someone here has seen this part themselves.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Here are more details:

brand - Triad model - TY-83 in - 12.6 v out - 500 v @ 250 mA taps - 1-4 as pins 5-7 as wire and 8-11 as pins mounting - single hole in center through transformer diameter - 2.75" height - 1 5/16 construction - bakelite or early plastic packaging - Orange and white box (apple box style) packaning contents - Transformer, Application Notes, 3.5' multi layer tissue ribbion.

Reply to
andro000

All that at 13.8 Oz.!

Reply to
andro000

Highly likely it was custom design for an oem. If you contacted Triad I doubt they would disclose any particulars of the TY-83.

Triad

seem to make standard format transformers as their normal product line but they apparently do make custom toroidal designs as indicated here (watch url wrap)

Ross Herbert

How many amps do ya'll think I could pull through this thing?

Reply to
andro000

"andro000" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

250 mA? >:) Would seem likely given what you've told us about it...
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Without any idea of what purpose the oem had in mind for this transformer I'd say it was useless for the average hobbyist. There are not many applications requiring this sort of voltage ratio so you would have to think of one yourself.

At under 14oz in mass I very much doubt the 500V winding is capable of

250mA so it is more likely that the current relates to the 12.6V winding.
Reply to
Ross Herbert

It's got application notes? Then why don't you read them.............?

There will be a frequency reference, telling you what the inverter requirements should aim for. It was likely intended for use in a mobile supply of HVDC for tube electronics.

RL

Reply to
legg