Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

See this link

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq4.html#CDFAQ_033

So why not just write the firmware to also fail in much the same way
as this  (if it's true)

And is it true that JVC video products are also dodgy and to be avoided?

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Cant see what you are referring to.

Nope.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Yep, been shoddy rubbish for years.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Sony have been living off their name for quite some time now, their crap
isn't any better then anyone elses anymore.

JVC are rubbish, ask any TV/Video technician.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Seriously I am asking because I am getting an Everio Camcorder for Xmas
and wondered what the build quality is like

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

JVC have suffered some serious quality issues in recent years. It does vary
according to the product but their DVD and VHS products have a very poor
reputation.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

I haven't used a JVC product for years. But, B4 year 2000 I thought they had
quite a good reputation in both domestic and professional audio/video
products, specially commercial products. Am I right?!

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Depends on who you asked. Their domestic products have ranged from excellent
to extremely poor depending on model for longer then that, but in recent
years apparantly it's all pretty much gone pearshaped.

Dunno about commercial products, since it's aimed at professionals it is
likely to have maintained a decent standard.

Best thing to do is to research the model you are interested in online
before you buy, and that goes for any brand.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:50:33 +1100, "Damian"

FWIW, I'm still using a JVC amp and turntable that I bought 30 years
ago. Other than spraying the amp's pots, neither has needed repair
during that time.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

They don't make them like they used to. That goes for all the major players
now unfortunately.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Yes, but Sony products were mostly excellent 30 years ago.
Not any more though.

MrT.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Oh boy!!!!!!!!

I hope you guys are joking because if not this might turn into big time
fun and games.

As per my question anyone know or have experience with Everio camcorders?

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

way
crap
Xmas
vary

A friend has bought one , it maps both the cf hard drive and mmc directly to
windows via the usb connection without drivers .

it really looks like a top notch unit , i would say one of the best at the
moment imho .

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

camcorders?

I guess if you really prefer having a more highly compressed format and
don't wish to edit the resulting footage, and don't mind paying a three CCD
camera price for a one CCD camera, then I guess there is a certain
convenience to the current crop of hard drive recorders.

MrT.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Plus add to that not being able to insert a new tape once the camera is
full.

But surely you can edit the file?

Michael

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Since they can hold a lot more than a 1hour tape, and it is fairly quick to
download the files, I'd actually place that quite low on the list of major
problems.
In fact having to change tapes during shooting is one of my biggest
annoyances with mini DV cam.
I guess you probably get about the same battery duration though, so it may
not make much difference.

Converting to a frame based format for editing will lose you more quality
when you have to recompress, and defeats most of the advantage in being able
to transfer the data to the PC more quickly in the first place.
With similar quality DV tape recorders at around half the price of a hard
drive recorder, I think they have a long way to fall in price before they
are worthwhile IMO.

MrT.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

Depends how far you are from your computer really and how long you're away
from it. Tape systems don't really have a limit on how much footage you can
capture.

Michael

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

can

I agree, and I don't like the current HDD cameras either, but I still
remember paying over $15 per tape, which does add up pretty quick.
Thankfully tape prices are a bit cheaper now, but still far more than a
blank DVD though.

MrT.

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

I think the biggest drawback with the Hard Drive type cameras is that you have
to carry a laptop with you when you go touring - it means spending another 2 or
3 thousand $$$ and would drive me bananas - like most other people I went for a
tape type camera - I just need to carry a few extra tapes with me, and can
easily buy more of I run out while on hols.

Of couse the better quality (AVI) originals you get with saving to tape is a
big plus to me, but may not be important to others

I can't really think of any advantages of saving to a HD, unless the camera is
just used around the house and (original) quality is not an issue

David

Re: Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

I can't see any major advantage to the HD ones either.
The DV tape ones give better quality recording, are cheaper (good
quality widescreen units can be had for well under $500), spare tapes
are available almost anywhere anytime, and the tape is an excellent way
to archive your orginal quality recordings on.

No contest really.

Dave :)

Site Timeline