Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

See this link

So why not just write the firmware to also fail in much the same way as this (if it's true)

And is it true that JVC video products are also dodgy and to be avoided?

Reply to
John

Cant see what you are referring to.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sony have been living off their name for quite some time now, their crap isn't any better then anyone elses anymore.

JVC are rubbish, ask any TV/Video technician.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Yep, been shoddy rubbish for years.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Seriously I am asking because I am getting an Everio Camcorder for Xmas and wondered what the build quality is like

Reply to
John

JVC have suffered some serious quality issues in recent years. It does vary according to the product but their DVD and VHS products have a very poor reputation.

Reply to
Clockmeister

I haven't used a JVC product for years. But, B4 year 2000 I thought they had quite a good reputation in both domestic and professional audio/video products, specially commercial products. Am I right?!

Reply to
Damian

Depends on who you asked. Their domestic products have ranged from excellent to extremely poor depending on model for longer then that, but in recent years apparantly it's all pretty much gone pearshaped.

Dunno about commercial products, since it's aimed at professionals it is likely to have maintained a decent standard.

Best thing to do is to research the model you are interested in online before you buy, and that goes for any brand.

Reply to
Clockmeister

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:50:33 +1100, "Damian" put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, I'm still using a JVC amp and turntable that I bought 30 years ago. Other than spraying the amp's pots, neither has needed repair during that time.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

They don't make them like they used to. That goes for all the major players now unfortunately.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Oh boy!!!!!!!!

I hope you guys are joking because if not this might turn into big time fun and games.

As per my question anyone know or have experience with Everio camcorders?

Reply to
John

way

crap

Xmas

vary

A friend has bought one , it maps both the cf hard drive and mmc directly to windows via the usb connection without drivers .

it really looks like a top notch unit , i would say one of the best at the moment imho .

Reply to
FruitLoop

Sony should be avoided for reinventing the wheel with proprietry products like memory stick

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Yes, but Sony products were mostly excellent 30 years ago. Not any more though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

camcorders?

I guess if you really prefer having a more highly compressed format and don't wish to edit the resulting footage, and don't mind paying a three CCD camera price for a one CCD camera, then I guess there is a certain convenience to the current crop of hard drive recorders.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Plus add to that not being able to insert a new tape once the camera is full.

But surely you can edit the file?

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

I'm still surprised that people nowadays still bother buying by brandname.

The days when the company name glued/printed on the equipment was the *same* as the actual company who actually built it, are

*long* gone. Almost all mass-market stuff (hi-fi, computers, etc) is simply re-badged stuff off volume production lines somewhere in Asia.
Reply to
MC

It's a joke, Joyce.

You know - like saying "cars seem to wait around the corner until you try to cross the street, then they come all at once."

MK.

Reply to
Matthew Kirkcaldie

Since they can hold a lot more than a 1hour tape, and it is fairly quick to download the files, I'd actually place that quite low on the list of major problems. In fact having to change tapes during shooting is one of my biggest annoyances with mini DV cam. I guess you probably get about the same battery duration though, so it may not make much difference.

Converting to a frame based format for editing will lose you more quality when you have to recompress, and defeats most of the advantage in being able to transfer the data to the PC more quickly in the first place. With similar quality DV tape recorders at around half the price of a hard drive recorder, I think they have a long way to fall in price before they are worthwhile IMO.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I did know that hence the bit in brackets

Reply to
John