Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World. - Page 3

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

same boat.

years. Probably ten years until near

It remains to be seen if it will even make it thru the senate.

promises regarding the internet.

stop obfuscating and start cooperating.

Yes, but it remains to be seen if that 'pressure' makes it thru the senate.

But its very unlikely that Telstra is prepared to accept what the govt is
prepared
to pay for those assets, particularly if the 'pressure' doesnt make it thru the
senate.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

I can only agree.  The govt valuation is ludicrously low.

IMHO the govt has just raised this whole scheme as a matter to squash
criticism of their inaction (and lampoon the previous govt for theirs).

They know full well that it will take years to pass legislation, find
corporate partners, fund, and implement.  They will be long gone from
office before anything meaningful is done.

In the meantime the telcos will carry on rolling out fibre links on an
as required basis.

No wonder the rest of the world is supposedly watching this with great
interest, and probably wondering if fairy tales really do come true.

To top if off, my understandiing is that about 50% of broadband users
currently chose speeds no greater than 256, so how do they expect
different takeup rates with the ovekill speeds of the new system?

It's a joke.

Rob

--

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

It's a joke to think users are happy with what they currently pay for 256k.
And a bigger joke to think that most don't really want more speed and higher
download limits for less money, like most of the developed world.

MrT.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Not from what I see on a GB/month basis.

MrT.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

I think its more that they were so stupid/pig ignorant that they
made the election promise and then discovered that it wasnt
going to be possible to deliver that they promised, so the dud
was actually stupid enough to turn that into FTTP and was so
stupid that he didnt realise that that wasnt deliverable.

Not for the first time either, he hasnt been able to deliver
on his election promise on hospitals or 'the homeless' either
or on a host of other stuff like new houses etc etc etc.

I doubt they did when they were stupid enough to turn the election promise into
FTTP.

Very likely, but I doubt that was deliberate.

Be interesting to see if they do much of that anymore.

interest,

Bet they dont even know what the dud is proposing.

Correct, tho they presumably would be happy to sign up for FTTP if
say the govt spent the $43B from the Future Fund on it and offered
them FTTP for the same price as they are currently paying for 256.

Corse its very arguable whether that $43B wouldnt be much better spent on
hospitals etc instead.

It is indeed. Nothing new with politicians tho.

Site Timeline