If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it? - Page 3

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

you miss understand.  I pointed out that racing a radio signal is the
easiest way to find the person a week ago!!

no one ever listens to me :'(

--
snipped-for-privacy@hyperoz.com - You know you want to...

http://www.HyperOz.com

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

tresspasser
this
you
I must have misunderstood...........

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Maybe its because everyone has added you to their kill file.
Maybe its because your an idiot.
Do you have any ideas why no one ever listens to you?
Try shutting up and put quality over quantity.
:-P

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

I'm sorry, did you say something???  ;-)

Yes I know you said the same thing, but if it's any help I don't think
anyone listened to me either??

Oh, and BTW - I think it may be possible to track the signal from a WiFi
network....  ;-)

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

You use a directional antenna and you track the radio signal.
Or you can use three stationary receivers to triangulate the source of the
signal.
We have had the ability to use this kind of tracking technology for almost
as long as we have had radios!

As for collecting MAC addresses and serial numbers.  Yes, this would also
track the item.  Especialy if it was a notebook. Wholesalors and retailers
keep track of serial numbers for warranties.

--
snipped-for-privacy@hyperoz.com - You know you want to...

http://www.HyperOz.com

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

I would b worried bout Australian law, if that's the case for a private
property. I mean look at it, anybody can walk into anybodies house and if
the door is open one can walk in and he can never be charged for doing that
'cos it's "not against the law". Oh, man that freaks me out.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Thats why you should always lock your door.
That way you can get them on break and enter.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Do you even know the definition of "break" in break & enter???

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Wrong - it's still break & enter.

Wrong - it's still private property.  It's still illegal to enter private
property without permission or legal excuse...

You need to go do your security course again.....

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Not break, just enter.

Correct.

There's a reason its a bouncer...

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

"Break" refers to the breaking of a seal, not necessarily a lock, so if the
door is closed it is taken as "sealed" and that "seal" has to be "broken" in
order to enter...

At least that's how it was explained in every security course I've ever
seen, including Police Officers as instructors.  Their explanation says that
the door/window doesn't necessarily have to be locked to prove break &
enter, although logically in some instances it would make it much harder...

How unfortunately true...  I had a "bouncer" trying to tell me how to do
Patrols once, so I asked him how many patrols and alarm responses he had
actually done, to which he said "none, but I've been a bouncer for 10 years
so doesn't that count?" - to which I replied "no, you can train a monkey to
be a bouncer - they shouldn't even be licensed under the same Act, makes the
rest of security look bad.."

I don't think he appreciated my views.....  oh well...

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Correct.

Wrong.

Its total bullshit.

Just opening a closed door doesnt qualify as break.

He could have bounced you |-)

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Not sure about the legalities but IMHO I don't believe it's ethical,
unless it's an obvious invitation (eg, my AP is actually named
"CONNECT2ME" because I plan to offer limited net services for free)

Of course with many routers never changed from the default settings it
might even be possible that a neighbour is unknowingly locking onto
your AP, rather than his!

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

That was my point.... I wonder how many users both
home or business even bother setting the system off
the default settings. In most cases those settings would
permit access by any other machine within reception
range, I would imagine....

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

I do, only my laptop's MAC address is allowed on my wireless router

Tom

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:08:35 +0930, John

Ok, firstly it would be a very rare average user
who ended up looking at this NG, and an even rarer
average user who knew how to set up security on a
wifi properly. Many wifi systems are such that any
attempts to reset them will result in non operation
until they are set up properly, a difficult task for
most average users. Thus most find that they work
out of the box and go back to the default settings
when any difficulties arise. Thus leaving them open.

What I would like to see is the wifi router manufacturers
make them with a special thumb drive included. All the
wifi routers that I have dealt with were all adjustable
via a web page within the router and a usb link. You
enter your network details in the router, add in a base
word for coding algorythm to be based on. then the router
uploads adjustments to the thumb drive. You then plug
the thumb drive into each machine to be allowed access
and run the program on it. The thumb drive then updates
the relevant parts of the computer seciruty setting to
match the router based on the new algorythm. Very simple
to do - similar to the old MS ICS disk process. Then
you would have easy set up security for each network that
any dunce can use.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

In fact that is precisely what the XP SP2 wireless wizard allows.

Using a thumb drive too.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

True but you can break out of the wizard.  What Deadly suggests is that you
have to use it ( I think)

PCs are sold as being as safe and easy as a toaster.  WiFi is not and the
average punter does not know that and is not told.

They are told not to write their PIN number on their CC etc. but not told
that they have effectively done it by firing up an unsecured network using
the MS inbound-only FW.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Sure, but he didnt say it had to be mandatory to use it.

Cant see where he said anything like that. He appeared to be
saying that most users dont turn decent security on because
they decide that its too hard, and that using a thumb drive
would make it easy enough for even the stupidest user to do.

That is precisely what the XP SP2 wireless wizard does using a thumb drive.

Bullshit.

My latest wireless laptop certainly does tell them.

So does MS too.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

Bullshit they have.

Re: If there's a wifi or wireless connection nearby is it moral to tap in and use it?

Bullshit right back - that's the whole sales push. Internet anywhere anytime
with turkeys in airports and under trees in a park doing business in the TV

Well my 6 month old VIAO may have ( can't remember) but it sure went on line
without enforcing any security or any flag waving.

Average punter remember - that's the peanut who buys a lappie because the
droid says it's best.
They never go near sites that would help them ( That one is good - thanks)

Expecting anything more of average users other than getting it working is a
dream.

Shit, half the PCs I fix don't even have A/V or they are a year out of date.
People just don't know.

Site Timeline