If it aint broke.........

Are you using DHCP? It could be a problem with your ISP renewing the lease on the IP address every 6 hours. I don't know how to check the DHCP lease status in XP, but there's probably something in the control panel under networking that will tell this.

You might want to record the IP address assigned to your machine before and after the connection drop. If its changed, its a DHCP lease problem.

By this, do you mean that the problem ceased its 6 hour cycle once the IT folks went on holiday?

Maybe. The ISP techs probably just get a thrill out of pushing the 'expire lease' button and listening to all the customers screaming.

;-)

A limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
        But the good ones I've seen
        So seldom are clean,
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Being having problems with my ADSLwith a PC on XP, it would drop the connection every 6 hours or so, usually bang on the hour. Needing a reboot

Since its another pagan induced holiday, I assume the IT guys at my ISP are also on holiday.

My ADSL has been fine since the start of the holiday.

Coincidence?

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

Yep DHCP, the "repair" button on XP tells me that it cannot renew the IP add.

This is what I'm inferring

B'tards. All I'm trying to do is download a few movies for next Xmas!

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

There are several reasons XP can drop a DHCP lease. I doubt it would be an ISP issue, lest most of their clients in your area would be having the same issue and calling to complain (defective router, DHCP server, TFTP server, etc.)

XP can be especially tricky to "fix" DHCP issues because the TCP/IP protocol and WinSock cannot be easily reinstalled if it is corrupted. So if the transport is damaged, well.. that's a pain in the ass.

Easiest solution is, if it was working a few days or weeks ago, is to go to the start menu and find "system restore" and restore the config to a working date. I've seen this easily fix the problem. Any newer data is not deleted, just the XP config is reset to that date. Saved my ass many times, worth a shot.

If your networking config is set to use a static IP address or DNS (or several other even more technical settings) then a problem like this can result. Have the techs at the ISP walk through all of your networking settings to make sure it is configured correctly.

If that don't do it, see if this does any good:

  1. Start --> run, type in "CMD".
  2. "IPCONFIG /release"
  3. "IPCONFIG /flushdns"
  4. "IPCONFIG /renew"
  5. "IPCONFIG /registerdns"
  6. Reboot.

If it still doesn't work, you can try these. Warning - you should make a system restore point first, as these are destructive procedures:

  1. Start --> run, type in "CMD"
  2. "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
  3. Reboot.

Netsh references:

To reset your windows sockets, download and run the following:

  2. Reboot.

Try removing all network adapters from device manager and then reinstalling. Here is a "trick" used to show defective drivers which otherwise would not be displayed, not even with "show hidden" in the devmgr:

  1. Start --> Run, CMD
  2. Type the following lines exactly from the command prompt (misspelling won't generate an error):

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 START DEVMGMT.MSC

  1. In the window that opens, Click View/Show all hidden devices. You may see transparent icons under Network Adapters - remove all these (uninstall) along with your modem NIC and reboot to allow windows to reinstall the correct driver.

Hope that helps.

-- "I could be labeled antisocial. But when you don't need to use anybody, why talk to them?" MCJ 20050320

Reply to
Mark Jones

10.45am, on the dot... total loss of adsl. The IT guys must have just finished their moring tea/coffee break

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

Go to a command prompt.

Enter:

it might or might not respond. In either case, then type:

That should reconnect DHCP.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi Mark, Thanks for the info, I'll have a bash (sorry). I've been to the MSN help pages, and there is quite a lot there to catch up on, as well.

Just about to Amazon for "network admin for dummies"