HP chip model planes

Thought I'd share this I came across on another group:
http://www.elcafevirtual.com/julio /

Model planes made entirely from old HP calculator chips and parts.

Dave.

Re: HP chip model planes

I wonder how many collector's item HP machines were destroyed to make
these works of art.

Re: HP chip model planes

None.

From the constructor:
"The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter was the second of four I made more
than 30 years ago with defective and scrap HPchips. This aircraft
model I made with IC,s of the Clasic and Woodstock pocked calculator
series. This model has a modified HP-67 card reader mechanism built-in
that moves up and down the landing gear, pilots' cabin and the engine
light and four intermitent tricolor leds, powered by 6 V."

Dave.

Re: HP chip model planes

What a relief...
(cross-posted to c.s.hp48)

Re: HP chip model planes

You can tell the era by the ceramic packages...

Re: HP chip model planes

Thank goodness that no working HP calculators were injured during the making
of those models.

That gave me quite a scare. I had to go pull out my HP 9825T, 35, 67, 97,
34C, 38C, 42S, 12C, 16C, 32SII, 17BII+, 48SX, 48GX, 50G, 33S, 35S, and 20B
and give them all a hug.

Phew!

Bob
--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==

Re: HP chip model planes

What? No HP11C? Still in (heavy) use here. The 12C is for finance guys
AFAIK. Probably a lot of those will show up on the 2nd hand markets
soon, along with their owners ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: HP chip model planes
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:49:19 -0800, Joerg

HP12Cs are still being made, $70 retail, so I doubt they'd bring much
more than $100 on eBay...  ;-)

An HP11C, OTOH, I might buy.  I bought a 35S a year ago.  Don't like
it as much as either my long stolen HP11C or weak in the keys 35
year-old HP45.

Re: HP chip model planes

Yes, Costco even had them a while ago. Anniversary edition. Not exactly
the same electronically but it sure was a nice touch. I wish they'd also
do that with the HP11C. And yeah, when my wife absolutely wants me to
trudge along to a yard sale I always keep looking for those calculators.
None so far in years :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: HP chip model planes
making

The latest 12C actually uses an Atmel ARM processor (as in the new
20B) running the original 12C ROM using the Nonpareil emulator:
http://nonpareil.brouhaha.com /

Rumor has it further Voyager models (11C, 15C etc) will be re-released
with this method.

Dave.

Re: HP chip model planes

    How does the ARM.based version compare with the old version,
in terms of speed and battery life? I would not be surpised to hear of
an 11C that was still on its original set of batteries :-)

Re: HP chip model planes

I haven't head about the new 12C as apparently it's quite hard to find
and identify them on the shelves, and only sold in Europe or somewhere
so far?

If the new 20B is anything to go by (and it should be because it's the
same processor) then battery life it will be a shocker.
Rated 9 months from two CR2032 batteries.
IMO HP goofed big in the design of the 20B. It works at 30MHz for all
calculations (then goes to sleep), but that means 15mA or so from the
two CR2032 batteries. This means big losses in the battery internal
resistance when doing calcs.
When I queried one of the HP designers about this on another forum, I
got the response that the CR2032 batteries have an IR of 5 ohms (IIRC)
and everything was fine and dandy. Well, they must be real special
batteries they are using because normal CR2032's start at 20ohms IR
and go up.

I can dig out the actual figures I came up with from the other forum
if needed, but it was I think something like 30% at least of the
computational power wasted in the battery IR. Crazy design.

Also, there was some concern about the low battery detection logic not
working properly.

Dave.

Re: HP chip model planes

Why on earth does a calculator need to run at 30MHz?  The
original HP15c ran at 220KHz[*] in 1983.  Has Bill Gates
really made us 136x dumber / less efficient in the past
26 years?

Well, maybe he has at that.

* Unless hotrodded ...
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/hpcalc/voyager/speedup.html

Run the new version at 2MHz, port it natively to the ARM, and
blaze on.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: HP chip model planes
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:25:11 GMT, James Arthur

So there is no lag in 59!?  Do you happen to know that the HP35's
clock was?

At least.  Windoze is  a lot prettier though.

OTOH, I'd like an HP11C (or name your fav HP calculator) in each cell
in Excel.

<snip>

Re: HP chip model planes

I just tried it.  Less than 1 second, AFAICT.

Two-phase quadrature 200KHz clock, divided down from 800KHz main osc.

Details here:
http://www.jacques-laporte.org/HP35%20Hardware%20basic%20design.htm

James Arthur

Re: HP chip model planes
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:09:10 GMT, James Arthur

Only 10% in 11 years.  G. Moore obviously didn't work at HP.  ;-)

Re: HP chip model planes

Bill Gates didn't either. Else the 15C would have probably needed 512MB
of internal RAM to calculate a square root.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: HP chip model planes

Since it's been observed that some previous product "updates"
are actually complete internal re-designs, complete with
bad bugs and less accuracy, an emulation of the original
would seem very attractive, to those who know about
the quality of those originals; perhaps, should they
dare to tinker with them, the few remaining bugs
of the originals might even be fixed.

However, the originals were designed with limited memory,
so can an exact clone provide any more program and data storage,
or even additional functions,
as did some of the subsequent "updates"?

I suppose I'd better rush out and sell my old originals,
before the market is flooded with clones,
satisfying the demand that currently exceeds the supply :)

Never-cloned originals whose value keeps increasing:
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS229787+15-Jan-2008+PRN20080115
http://www.glassinesurfer.com/stamp_collecting/gsinvertedjenny.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_Jenny

Once rare, until cloned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_Hammarskj öld_invert
http://stamps.about.com/od/historyofphilately/p/DagHammar.htm

How about those HP49Gs with inverted keys?
Are they fetching huge prices, like stamps?
See http://holyjoe.net/hp/HP49.htm#upsidedown

-[ ]-

Re: HP chip model planes

The ASIC used in the previous 12C was becoming obsolete, so HP either
had to either re-design from scratch (software wise), or go with
Eric's ROM emulator. They wisely went with the later given that almost
the entire finance industry relies on the 12C, and any numerical bugs
would have unacceptable to say the least.

Yup, if a new 11C or 15C ROM emulated machine comes out, the Ebay
market will drop like a rock.

r.com/stamp_collecting/gsinvertedjenny.shtmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In =
verted_Jenny

If Casio ever brong back the CFX-400, interest in my uWatch will no
doubt dry up!
http://www.calcwatch.com /

Dave.

Re: HP chip model planes

Those are recyclable packages, not scrap.

Site Timeline