how to connect up bulk leds ?

hi, i want to make my own lead light  for workin on cars etc.... i have
ordered  100 ,  10 mm white leds.
what is the best way to connect them up ?  in series or in paralell ? i will
be using around 70-90 leds.
thanks,

mark k

Re: how to connect up bulk leds ?
Depends whats your power supply, 12 V battery? mains?

Re: how to connect up bulk leds ?

Probably series/parrallel combo.

Depends on power supply really.
What voltage are they?

Re: how to connect up bulk leds ?

Commercial lights are usually a lot more cost effective than DIY jobs
like this.
But if you are doing it yourself for whatever reason then a couple of
1W/3W/5W Luxeon or Cree LEDs will almost certainly beat the pants off
the 100 white 10mm LED's you'll get, and it'll be much easier to wire
up.
The best way to wire them up depends on the voltage source you are
going to use to drive them. Usually for large arrays like this it's a
series/parallel combination.

Dave.

Re: how to connect up bulk leds ?

**Series/parallel. The exact arrangement will depend on what Voltage you're
using. I trust you are aware that a cheap, commercial fluoro trouble light
(like the nice Arlec rubber/Perspex one I use) will be slightly more
efficient (less power/more light) and offer a better colour balance than
your LED array. Do not discount fluoros. They offer impressive light
output/power figures.

Of course, if you have nothing better to do.....

Trevor Wilson

Re: how to connect up bulk leds ?

Why stuff around trying to wire up dozens of LEDs ?
That's a really silly idea, forget it !
Buy a fluorescent light designed for the job, they come
in nice clear tube all ready to switch on.
You'll save money and time.

Site Timeline