EnergyStar plugpacks

I just got a new Nokia mobile phone and it came with a switchmode
mains charger plugpack as many of them do these days, but this one has
an Energy Star label saying this adapter was energy star compliant for
reduced consumption. This is the first time I've seen this on any
plugpack, so I thought I'd test it out.

I got 0.12W on my energy meter with no phone connected. Compare that
with 0.55W for my old Nokia transformer plugpack, and 0.55W for a
(presumably non-energy star compliant) Motorola switchmode plugpack.

That's a big saving, especially when you multiply it by a few tens of
millions of phones. Very nice indeed.

Dave.

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

"David L. Jones"

 **  Bollocks  -  it is utterly SFA.

**  Utter drivel.

 Wot a incorrigible wanker you are   -  Jones.

.......   Phil

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

 Saturated fatty acid
 Surface forces apparatus
 Segmented Flow Analyzer
 Sales Force Automation
 Student/Farmworker Alliance
 Super Furry Animals
 Stochastic Frontier Analysis
 Scottish Football Association

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Obviously not an Australian ....

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

   Some Faulty Australian

prove it.
Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

"Winfield Hill"

** Wonder wot this insufferably pompous cretin imagines ASD stands for   -
eh ?

.......   Phil

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

   ASD = Allison, Sorry Dipshit.

prove it.
Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

"Brendan Gillatt"

**   Fuck off  -  autistic pedant fool.

........   Phil

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:56:28 -0700, "David L. Jones"

My charger sits in the drawer until I need it. That's 0.00W when no
phone is connected. Furthermore, my phone doesn't have any unnecessary
energy wasting features such as cameras and the like.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

    Same here. :)

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:01:37 +1000, Bob Parker

I wonder if the new plugpack is plug and voltage compatible with the
older ones? Does the phone even use the same battery as the older
models, or does it just use the same cells in an incompatible package?

Call me a cynic, but if the phone manufacturers want to be really
green, then they should supply standardised accessories at a price
that would make retaining the phone an economical option. As it is
now, the only reason I still don't use my old Ericsson is that a
replacement battery costs almost as much as a new phone, assuming you
can find one that hasn't expired on the shelf.

BTW, I wonder if the energy used in manufacturing these EnergyStar
plugpacks is actually offset by the power savings during the life of
the unit. I also wonder how power factor affects the VA as opposed to
the wattage, and I wonder whether this has been considered when
awarding EnergyStar ratings.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

    One of my mates had to stop using his old Ericsson phone because of
battery unavailability. Now he uses a Nokia 3310 he found dumped during
a council cleanup.
    I saw an item on the ABC news not that long ago which said that the
typical life of a mobile phone in Australia is only 18 months before it
gets replaced by the latest model with more gadgets.
    It's hard not to be cynical!

Bob

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

I put new NiMH cells in the battery pack of my phone (shows how old it is
that it used NiMH).  Even buying the cells from Farnell, it worked out 3
times cheaper than the list price for the replacement battery pack, that
was no longer manufactured so I couldn't have bought it if I wanted to.
Now the whole company that made the phone (Siemens mobile) is out of
business so I had to replace the cells again about three years after the
first set.  The only disadvantage with the re-celled battery pack is that I
guess the security people might get a bit funny about it if I tried to take
it on a plane.

Chris

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Yes.

The Nokia's have a reasonable amount of compatibility among models,
but there are quite a number of different batteries used in the range.
Almost certainly necessary because of physical and other design
differences between models.

I lot of portable gear like mobile phones, in-car GPS units, and
handheld GPS units can now be recharged from the USB port, this means
you only need one type of charger either in the car or at home. Expect
this to become much more standard in the comming years I suspect.

That question is almost impossible to answer with any authority on any
product. But a well designed energy-star switchmode plugpack probably
requires no more "energy" to manufacture than a standard switchmode
plugpack that takes 5 times the power. Just from an engineering
elegance point of view alone it's worth doing.

Dave.

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Except there's a current limit on USB? My phone (Sony K750i) says "charging"
when connected via USB, and "optimised charging" when connected to a mains
or car charger, although the mains charger is rated to put out 450mA and I
thought USB allowed 500mA, so that might not be the case.

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Much easier to simply switch the power point off, but then of course
the wife complains that it "looks messy" :->

My new phone has more standby and talk battery life than my old phone
monochrome Nokia, and it's got a 2MP camera, MP3 player and all the
frills, and a ridiculously bright 2" screen. Amazing.
But it's got like 3 different power saving and power down modes,
haven't figured them all out yet, might have to RTFM to save some
time!

Dave.

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

"David L. Jones"

**  Wot a incorrigible wanker you are   -  Jones.

**  Best stick the POS in that blender you were on about recently.

   Wot a incorrigible wanker you are   -  Jones.

.......  Phil

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

Try finding a phone these days without a camera ;).  Last time I
looked at the local Telstra shop, (over a year ago) even the cheapest
models all had cameras.

Will have to face up to this in the new year, as my current CDMA will
be useless, and will be forced to upgrade to a next G phone with all
these fancy features.  from what I hear, as a bonus, the coverage will
be sub-standard outside major cities, but hey, look on the bright
side, in addition to the cameras, MP3 Players, FM radio, etc etc we
will also have fancy "must have" features like pay TV and "mobile
internet at broadband speed " that I, and most people would never use,
and wouldn't pay typically excessive access fees for. What happened to
the people (surely a significant number) who just want a phone that
they can use reliably ?

Re: EnergyStar plugpacks

I'll be keeping my old anti-ROHS lead based solidly constructed phone
for canyoning and other adventure stuff. I think it will survive being
thrown down 10m waterfalls much better than the new one.

Dave.

Site Timeline