Dumb question time: PCB vias

There are small spacer like tubes that can be placed through the vias
linking both sides.

What are these items called?

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

I'd call them circuit board pins. But most of the ones sold these days seem
to be solid rather than hollow (tubes).

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

Maybe he means a ferrule ?

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

Or a 'via' ? !!

geoff

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

You mean " placed through _holes_ " to create a pseudo double-sided pcb.
I think that idea went out about 30+ yrs ago. You can always solder the
component leads on both sides to get the same antique effect though.

Graham

p.s. a true *via* does actually conduct from one side to the other.

OTOH did you want a 'terminal relief' type things to attach wires to PCBs
?

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

I've seen them called eyelets. Germans call them "Durchkontaktier-Nieten" or
"Rohrnieten". Something like "tubestaples". The smallest ones I saw so far
are 0.8mm.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

I've seen them used a long time ago to make a double-sided board without through
plating ( but a real genuine 'via' IS through plated anyway ).

Their other use is to form a strain relief for attaching wires to a pcb.

Graham
--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

  I bought a Multicore product years ago: it was a heavily tin plated
length of solder about 1mm O.D. ( with other diameters available)and
was scored around the length every few mm so you could snap of a bit,
insert it into a hole and using the special tools ream it into the hole
and then desolder it to leave a tin lined through hole.

  The tools were too expensive to but so I used a pair of long nose
pliers with the ends heated and bent 90 degrees so the tips touched
together after grinding smooth. This let me squash the tin/solder piece
in the hole so it expanded and locked in tight before desoldering it.

      I bought it from Farnell over ten years ago and I don't know if
it's still made these days.

Sorry for the delay Re: Dumb question time: PCB vias

Thanks for the responses.

Site Timeline