Dumb question time: PCB vias

There are small spacer like tubes that can be placed through the vias linking both sides.

What are these items called?

Reply to
Jim

I'd call them circuit board pins. But most of the ones sold these days seem to be solid rather than hollow (tubes).

Reply to
Peter Parker

You mean " placed through _holes_ " to create a pseudo double-sided pcb. I think that idea went out about 30+ yrs ago. You can always solder the component leads on both sides to get the same antique effect though.

Graham

p.s. a true *via* does actually conduct from one side to the other.

OTOH did you want a 'terminal relief' type things to attach wires to PCBs ?

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Maybe he means a ferrule ?

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

"Jim" schreef in bericht news:tP9Ul.14688$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

I've seen them called eyelets. Germans call them "Durchkontaktier-Nieten" or "Rohrnieten". Something like "tubestaples". The smallest ones I saw so far are 0.8mm.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I've seen them used a long time ago to make a double-sided board without through plating ( but a real genuine 'via' IS through plated anyway ).

Their other use is to form a strain relief for attaching wires to a pcb.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

I bought a Multicore product years ago: it was a heavily tin plated length of solder about 1mm O.D. ( with other diameters available)and was scored around the length every few mm so you could snap of a bit, insert it into a hole and using the special tools ream it into the hole and then desolder it to leave a tin lined through hole.

The tools were too expensive to but so I used a pair of long nose pliers with the ends heated and bent 90 degrees so the tips touched together after grinding smooth. This let me squash the tin/solder piece in the hole so it expanded and locked in tight before desoldering it.

I bought it from Farnell over ten years ago and I don't know if it's still made these days.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Or a 'via' ? !!

geoff