Does an IC like this exist?

I am looking for an IC that will take 12 volts DC input and generate +/- 5
volts DC out at a few milli-amps?

To drive a couple of LCD panel meters.

JERD

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

"JERD"

**  Not and IC, but a mini inverter module like this will do it :

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU87%27546

Nice price  ($ 12.45 + ) but no stock at present.

Same goes for two other similar ones.

........   Phil

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

Farnell 868-9792, 3kV isolation, 10 to 100mA.SMD. $14.46

or
868-9873 1kV isolation at $10.75.

just add caps.

There wont be an IC as such, unless you look at some of the Maxim switched
capacitor converters.

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

"Geoff C"

**  Neither item is no longer stocked by Farnell.

Alternatives offered are out of stock except for this one at  $25.77 +

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU10%21612

.......   Phil

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

Watch out for these, some I have used (from Farnell) do not regulate at
very low loads like a few mA.

These are probably better for small loads like an LCD panel.

Dave :)

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

Try a MAX232 serial interface driver.  It doesn't meet your specs
exactly.  It will do the following:

1. 5 volt supply
2. Output +10V and -10V.  You can use an voltage divider to get your
two 5 V outs if you only need a mA or two.

Cheers
Glenn

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

Could you approach it slightly differently by using 0/5v/10v and set the
common to be 5v? I suppose it depends what the rest of your circuit is
running at, but assuming all you other logic uses +5V then you could use a
7810 on the 12v supply to give your +5v rail, the output from a 7805 to
give you your 0v rail, then when you want -5v you just use the ground from
the original +12v supply.

Cheers,
 Gadget

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

Hi JERD,

I bought some 12v to 9v DC-DC converter modules from (not to be
confused with Altronics)
http://www.alltronics.com and from memory they also had 12v to 5v
modules. After searching their site today can't find the ones I bought
(Powertech L12SER 2S09-GP), although they have the following
http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item24%B019
Datasheet:
http://docs-alliedelec.electrocomponents.com//Images/Products/DataSheets/BM/GRAYHILL_INC/Grayhill-Inc_Industrial-Control_9482006.pdf
Thought I'd at least mention alltronics anyway as their pricing seems
good.

Also, these modules appear similar to the one I bought, but you may
have to do a bit of searching to find out who sells them.
http://www.ericsson.com/campaign/powermodules/hp/PKV_series_DIL24_standard_pos.html

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

The old ICL7660 can do something like that, though you would need to reduce
the input voltage by putting a regulator before the 7660.

There are probably plenty of newer parts but perhaps the old 7660 is easier
to find.

Chris

Re: Does an IC like this exist?

A few milliamps? Why not just use a two 7805s have ones ground beind the
others outputs and you will end up with +5 and +10.

Site Timeline