=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"Barry OGrady"

** Shame about SBS on UHF 34.

  And all of rural Australia.

In reality:

ABC uses analogue Ch 12  for SD, HD and ABC2.

Channel 7  uses analogue Ch 6  for  SD and  HD.

Channel  9  uses analogue Ch 8  for  SD and  HD.

Channel 10 uses analogue Ch 11  for  SD and  HD.

SBS uses analogue Ch 34  for SD,  HD and SBS 2.

( Channel 31 is an analogue signal only )

Each old analogue channel can accommodate 2 x SD and 1 x HD signal
simultaneously.

Rural Australia uses UHF  for all channels.

........   Phil

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Is it? I thougt aerials were dependant on carrier frequency, not the content
of the carrier. Must have slept through that lesson at tech.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

I was told the other day by a supplier of antennas that digital will
not work on ribbon cable!

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

the
the
Ah, OK. Geez I'm losing track, but you get so sick of ra ra advertising for
broadband etc & none of it goes into much detail.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

We have MAJOR issues picking up the analogue tv service in our area, so
what chance has digital got in such a situation. I would imagine it
would have a signal strength requirement like satellite services, where
it has to have a minimum signal before it can display its picture etc.
We have ABC with fuzz, Prime (7) in black and white, SBS depends on the
weather, NBN (9) drops in and out as it pleases and Southern Star (10)
is good some nights and non existent on other nights. We have a masthead
booster and two antennas (one uhf and the other has both bands) so all
according to the twits in this area installing them should be fine. Over
the road from us can't get normal FTA tv because of the powerlines and
both beside and behind us have the same as us. The olds a few hundred
metres away need three antennas to get a 1/2 decent service and the
signal is not good enough on ANY to get teletext which I used to use all
the time when I spent some time in Sydney.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Where are you located?

Re: Digital TV In Australia

West of Forster.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

NewsGroups,  found courage and express out opinion in

I got digital setup done at Smiths Lake up on 5 meter pole.
You should be able to do similar, just use higher pole maybe?

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Am located central to Forster, Gloucester and Taree between the hills
behind Nabiac.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Ontop of my last, I think our biggest issue is the fact that the
antennas are not really designed for poor reception areas and every
person down the street with the same antenna (both V and U) have the
exact same issue. If we weren't renting I would buy a couple of 8footers
like the old man has, but since he is in a gully, even they are finding
it hard to keep reception.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:16:58 GMT, Tsunami Australia

Some info may be of interest in this document.

http://www.dba.org.au/uploads/templates/files/DBA_Installing_DTTB_Basic_Domestic_Systems.pdf

Also have a look here, particularly the last couple of sentences.

http://www.avcomm.com.au/page4uam.htm

In short, if your analogue reception is so poor or non-existent, then
digital may not work for you. However if you haven't already, you
should also look over the DBA website, particularly the link re when
is digital coming to your area. You may get satisfactory reception
from another site.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

http://www.dba.org.au/uploads/templates/files/DBA_Installing_DTTB_Basic_Domestic_Systems.pdf

Thanks for that, looking at the info now. That K band system is
expensive, the local Leading Edge Electronics has a C1 system, box and
dish $400 or if we already have an Austar dish, the box for $250. Looks
like it may be the option..although I'm getting sick of the BS on tv
most of the time anyway.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

I've decided I'd rather spend the money on cheap DVDs (10 movies for
$8), by the time I spend the amount I would have spent on stuff to get
digital, I'll have an impressive collection of shit that is better that
the movies on free to air.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

And probably not as repetitive. I laugh at Austar/Foxtel/Optus now, when
it come out they made proud that it had no ads like FTA tv, now
everytime we go to the inlaws in Penrith who have Optus cable, it has as
many ads as our FTA but at a BS price.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

http://www.dba.org.au/uploads/templates/files/DBA_Installing_DTTB_Basic_Domestic_Systems.pdf

I also forgot to mention, our next closest transmission site from Middle
Brother (north Taree) is Newcastle, some 200km away.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Loosing teletext is a small price to pay to be out of Sydney.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

What do you mean "that's about it"?
Digital TV:
1) is still free-to-air
2) still has the same channels and content
3) has better picture and sound quality
4) supports wide-screen and multi-channels

They can already do that with "analog" TV. Most content these days
would already be digitally edited before it's sent.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV In Australia

May not be better when there is the slightest thunderstorm in the
area.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"Andy Wood"
.

**  No effect on my pic here in Sydney duign recent lightning.

 In any case  -the worst that happens is a brief freeze motion.

Site Timeline