Dejavu Altronics

I just noticed an ad for Altronics on Facebook
It's Altronics Jim, but not as we know it!
http://www.altronics.net.au

It's owned by a couple of guys in QLD.

Perhaps old Jack O'Donnell might have something to say about using the
Altronics name...

Dave.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"David L. Jones"

** Andrew Cormack and Alan Spiers   -  right ?

 Aka  " A&A Multimedia" .

 Bet they are just the guys who put up the web site and registered the dot
net.

**  Absobloominlutely !!!

....   Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Truth is, Jack can't do anything about it.

There are two Dontronics in the world, myself and one registered to a
South Australian TV repair company.

Google: "dontronics south australia"

I contacted Business registrations (this is way back in 1995) to find
out that each registration is only a state registration. There is no
such thing as an Australian national business registration, so every
state and territory can register the same business name.

At the time, I spoke to the "Don" of Dontronics in S.A., he was also
amazed, however as we didn't see a conflict of interest, we ignored it.
Mind you, if there was, it could have been very different.

Doesn't stop me getting the spam-phishing from China such as, "We have a
customer wishes to register the domains dontronics.com.cn, jp, .co.uk,
etc., etc. and for $75USD each domain, we can register these on your
behalf". :-)

Gee, thanks me old china!

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"Don McKenzie"

** I think he very much can.

**  No conflict  -  so no issue.

If there was a serious conflict, then one business can be made to change its
name.

In any case, the only  " Altronics " registered with ASIC under:

"Altronics Pty Ltd "  &  " Altronic Distributors Pty Ltd ".

BTW:

This is the guy in Brisbane who put up the site " www.altronics.net.au".

http://www.spiers.net.au/index.html

....  Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Mine is registered as a business under the business names act 1962, not
as a company, so maybe Jack can do something.

And why did he use .net.au?

Will be very... interesting....

I'm sure there is more to come.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Because .com and .com.au were taken, and they knew it!

If A&A multimedia are just the innocent web designer here, then they should
have at least advised their client that it's probably not kosher to run a
retail business from a .net.au domain, especially given that another
established company already has the same existing domain name.

Also if I was the client I'd question as to why there are Facebook ads
already when the website isn't even finished. Not even basic contact or
"about" details.

Also, A&A have registered the clients domain name entirely in their name. I
don't know if this is normal practice, but I was of the understanding that
it goes in the clients name and you are just listed as the technical
contact.

No doubt!

Dave.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

I doubt that any business in their right mind, would want the web
designer to have control of the domain name.

Unless of course it was the same person, or the client was very naive in
common sense business practices.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Dejavu Altronics

**Truth is, he can and probably will do quite a lot. Lawyers and money can
achieve a great deal in these situations. Mr O'Donnell probably has plenty
of both.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Dejavu Altronics

You're not wrong, Phil.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

I'm disappointed that Phil didn't take a bite.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"DavidW"

** Bite who ??

I'm waiting to see who is lurking behind this scam.

BTW

My info is that the REAL Altronics are, as the famous lady said,

" ... not amused ".

.....  Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Yep.

--
- Mike

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"Phil Allison"

** Who feels there are same spooky parallels with this Chinese site ??

 http://www.chinavasion.com /

Who woulda thunk......

.....  Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

It's obviously all just part of some big affiliate thing, there are probably
dozens or hundreds of websites with the same content and stuff for sale.
That's why the altronics.net.au stuff is shipped direct from the main
provider in China. All one needs to do is set up an affiliate website and
watch the bucks roll in, they don't have to lift a finger. But that won't
happen because odds are the real Altronics will get them shut down before
they even get it operational.

Dave.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Why would you do such an apparently dumb thing? Are original names with
customer pulling power that hard to come up with?

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"Bruce Varley"

** No business name is of  ANY  value until customers  KNOW it   !!!

Well known names have enormous value in the world of marketing goods and
services -  the owners of such names are usually very keen to protect them
from all trespassers !!

If you can somehow latch onto an already well known name, you get a huge
free advantage over others  -  especially when Google searches on the name
are used to find your web pages.

....   Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

Yep, incredibly dumb any way you look at it.
They went to the trouble and expense of putting up ads on Facebook, so in
that case almost any name would have done, no need to try and capitalise on
the real Altronics's name. And by copying a name you are in fact limiting
your potential business, because presumably there is no way they can
register another "Altronics Pty Ltd"

Dave.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"David I. Jones"

 ** Appears to be operational right now.

If you click on "Add to Cart" and then " Proceed to Checkout" it all looks
like it is working.

Paypal have the trader's name down as being " Altronics ".

The  REAL  Altronics do not use Paypal.

...  Phil

Re: Dejavu Altronics

So it is, for those products that are actually up.
Still nothing in the "About" or "Contact" tabs though.

I'm assuming the real Altronics are readying their big stick...

Dave.

Re: Dejavu Altronics

"David L. Jones"

**  If you look at the page on car DVD players -  the units offered have
screens attached to a 2-DIN box.

This means they will be visible to a car's driver.

It's illegal in Australia to drive a car with such a screen operating and
visible to the driver.

The ones usually offered for sale here have remote screens that attach to
the back of front seat head rests or else the roof of the car.

What gives ??

....  Phil

Site Timeline