De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........

Not really the best advice:

http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

Re: De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........
http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

It said alcohol

Re: De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........

http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

......and then shows a closeup of the turps bottle label. Should do a nice
job melting the placcy bits for someone who doesn't know any better. Then
again I recently found out alcohol does not always work either.  :(

Re: De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........

http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

Hey, I've accidentally dropped my mobile phone into the drink.
Pulled it out immediately and removed the battery, then followed by the SIM
card followed by a darn good shaking to dislodge as much of the water as
possible.
Dried it off as best as I could with paper towel, then when I got home I
placed it near the air-conditioner.

No doubt using isopropyl alcohol would have absorbed the water and sped up
the evaporation process.
Three years down the track and the phone is still working perfectly.
Certainly I feel that if I hadn't removed the battery immediately, the phone
probably would have failed due to electrolysis eating away the components
and the circuit board.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........

http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

IPA has saved me a few times too. The last one went into a tub of hot dirty
engine oil - no amount of cleaning fixed that one. Like you say getting the
battery out quick seems to help.

Re: De-watering mobile phones - using turps...........
http://video.news.com.au:80/index-popup.html?Channel=NEWS.com.au+video&ClipId10%94_288883&bitrate30%0&Format=flash

I once threw my clothes in the washing machine without noticing the
phone was in the pocket of a jersey. It did a full wash cycle, including
spin dry. After I discovered it, I removed the battery, rinsed it in
fresh water and let it dry for 24 hours. It's worked for the last 5
years or so and is still working.

Site Timeline