axis 2100 camera only runs 12v ac

I have an axis 2100 webserver cam that runs from a 12vac plugpack. I want to run it on 12v dc and it refuses to work. It seems to want ac, perhaps the 50hz for a clock or something.

I DONT want to have a 12v>240v inverter just to run this as the camera will run from a car battery and solar panel so dont want to waste power. Can I trick the camera by somehow making a 50hz oscillator and somehow mixing it on the gnd line of the 12v dc?? Im not sure how to do this.

Any tricks/tips/links to a circuit appreciated.

Reply to
lentildude

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

"lentildude"

** Most devices that run off AC plug packs do so in order to generate internal DC rails of both polarities.

Some employ voltage multiplier ccts to generate DC rails of double the peak AC voltage.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 22 Mar 2007 15:55:11 -0700, "lentildude" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Assuming your camera can tolerate a square wave, use a H-bridge to convert your 12VDC car battery source to AC.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I was looking at inverter circuits, I would need 12vac at 1 amp but would need to be efficient to not drain car battery. If you have any links to any simple low cost circuits, most appreciated

BTW

Here is a look inside the 2100

I took a hires picture, you can see a little of the powersupply input circuitry.

Reply to
lentildude

How many amps does it need?

If your a scrounger, find a 9 volt or so DC wall wart that has screws in it rather than being welded together.

Break the case open. Take the diodes and caps out and run directly from the transformer secondary. Might be close enough to work.

Bob

Bob Urz

Maybe a closer read of the original question is needed here. This answer aint gonna help. He's got a 12v AC plugpack, but wants to run the camera from a 12DC source (actually, a car battery I suspect).

Reply to
Wayne Reid

Lentildude, Probably the AC is used to generate the negative bias for the camera IC thus a square wave drive will be fine.

I would suggest a small microcontroller driving a H bridge circuit.

A PICAXE chip should be cheap and easy to program to generate a 50Hz signal on 2 different output lines.

If accuracy is required then a 32KHz watch crystal could be used to stabilise the frequency, but a firmware program would have to be written and burned to the chip with a PIC programmer.

Several different H bridge circuits can be found at

I hope that this helps.

Regards, Brenden Ede

lentildude wrote:

Reply to
Brenden Ede

On 24 Mar 2007 17:23:41 -0700, "lentildude" put finger to keyboard and composed:

See

The AXIS 2100 consists of:

Power connector (12 V AC or DC, 9.6 VA), Axis PS-D ^^

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

If you connect anything to the ports then be careful, as they may have assumed that the source of AC power would be completely floating, so they might have grounded either side of the AC input to the signal ground, or they might feed it to some rectifiers to generate positive or negative supplies or both, and they may have chosen to use any of those power rails as the signal ground for the other connectors. If your new power source is not floating with respect to whatever you plug into the ports, then bad things might happen that the designers of the product had not intended.

I suggest tracing the part of the circuit around the power input, if that is feasible, or use an oscilloscope to measure the waveform on both terminals of the AC input with respect to the signal ground of the other ports, when the device is working normally from the proper AC adapter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones