aus.Re: DI 101? - Page 5

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Yes. We have seen the pictures of  Detroit:-)

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Well Ian, since you are so stupid you don't know the difference between
Detroit and its environs, it is very good for you to stay away from the
whole lot.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

"> There are two kinds of people on this earth:
Those who divide the people on this earth into two groups, and those who
don't.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

I think increasingly people will stay home. I'll bet Florida's economy would
have been crippled had it not been for the falling dollar.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Florida is nothing but a military outpost with pretensions to
real estate speculation. Has been since Osceola and Al
Capone, respectively. Tourism is  recent, and limited
to certain regions which have developed a really nasty
crime problem recently...

It also serves as a mythic Shangri La for people from New York City,
at least since "Midnight Cowboy". They buy beach condos and then
don't live in them.

The Brevard County seat is Titusville. The first
telephone line in a county building was in the courthouse in Titusville
around 1950. It was not named after Titus Andronicus, but it should have
been... the point being, there was nobody here.

But the weather is awesome.

I am referring to the "lower Alabama" portions of Florida, not Miami,
which is an ostensibly  South American outpost that nobody really
understands.

--
Les Cargill

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Awesomely humid too I hear which wouldn't attract me.

Interesting post. I wish I understood it better.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Mid Florida is not that humid - typical winter humidities are
in the 40-60% range. Maybe a little more. To be honest,
the weather is *VERY* nice here. You must stay hydrated, but
in season, it's gorgeous. It's sub-tropical. "Down South"(Miami)
is fully tropical.

It's a good bit cheaper here as well. We have a couple of
by-Golly Irish pubs and one Scottish one, founded by expats.

Of all people, Jimmy Buffet writes a bit about the
Spanish-American Coast/Caribbean/South American thing a bit, in
travelogue form. His books are a good read.

Les Cargill

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

I cant say that I liked Florida all that much, Key West is an interesting
place but I don't think I 'd like to live there although I wouldn't mind
revisiting it. Miami seemed to be a totally phoney place full of posers and
elderly retirees who flee north as soon as the temperature gets over 75. I
did get a bit interested in buying a house in Cape Canaveral, a nice
waterfront where you could watch the shuttle launch from the back yard, and
at a good price too. If I had to spend the rest of my life in the US though,
I think that it would be on the Oregon coast, the scenery and the people
there were very nice.

Keith

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Agreed.

I lived in Homestead for nearly a year. I've never been subjectively hotter
in summer or colder in winter.

When I lived there, Florida was a state that culturally become more
northern, the further south you went.  Key West resembled Maine, Miami had a
lot in common with New York, but Jacksonville was definitely part of the old
south.

I've visited or lived in 47 of the 50 US states. Not having visited Alaska
and Hawaii is easy to explain, but Alabama was one of those things that just
sort of slipped through the cracks. Well, I flew over it 3 times. ;-)

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

   I was stationed in both Alabama & Alaska in the '70s.  I live in
North Central FLorida, were T.S. Fay has been parked for days.  The
winds took out my electricity for a little under 20 hours. yet it only
reached 77 F and 59% humidity with the house closed up.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Their own shadows. My ex-boss and still a friend got held up for an hour or so
on entry to the USA simply for being born Pakistani one assumes. This is a man
who travels regularly so much that he has the really big passport with lots of
extra pages and visas for many, many countries.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Correct, it was really a power grab by the wealthy of the colony and they
succeeded.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

These were not unprincipled people, and trying to make a novel out of it
simply won't work. Who was a "good guy"/"bad guy" depends on too much
detail to bother.

The Founders were a lot broke-arse land speculators, the British
proper snubbed them socially and mistakes were made.

But the bottom line is that communications were impossible, and
things get worse when that is true.

--
Les Cargill

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Plus who wins gets to write the book !

It didn't help that trans-Atlantic voyages by sailing ship were necessary to
discuss matters. And they WERE discussed too. Very seriously. The falling out
was possibly just pure bad luck.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?
On 21/08/08 12:41, in article
VDbrk.53345$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.news.saunalahti.fi, "Iain Churches"

(...)

No idea, sorry. Haven't used Windows since NT 4.0.

--
Joe Kotroczo                                   snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Why answer then?

Keith

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

So much for all the literature of the day that basically said exactly that.

Reality is always complex. I was responding to a two cent falsehood with a
five cent answer.

Nice job of dismissing available documentation that seems to disagree with
your narrow view.

In the context, probably pretty reasonable.

Ah, truth by means of HBO.  ;-)

You're trying to obfuscate by means of raising issues that you admit still
aren't resolved.

If you want to respond properly, you'll present a relevant, concise
counter-argument.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The literature is what's know as "agitprop". It's a part of the
story. Your statement can easily be untrue without being
false - it is a partial truth.

I find no definition of the word "dismiss" that means "places as a
smaller element when in context."

Probably.

No, offering a realatively well-wrought survey item of media as
a recommendation. I really don't like the book it's based on
all that much - the movie's better in this case.

These are not obfuscations - these are elements of the
story. The colonies were a drain on the Crown treasury, for reasons
not well understood for a century. That is why the taxes were levied.
The colonists, not being so-much colonizers, didn't want to pay for it
either.

You'll find very few better, Arny. This is about as "concise" as it gets.

--
Les Cargill

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Judging something to be agitprop does not prove it to be either partially,
or wholly false.

I don't know if you noticed this, but you actually said nothing that was
relevant to the issue at hand.

Good for you. Be sure to post again when you have something factual to
report.

So, where's the beef?

Again, you've said nothing that's meaningful or relevant. Interesting
approach, obfuscating truth by means of a movie review.

So what?

Making bad business decisions is of course a generally accepted reason for
enslaving people. ;-)

Yup, the British Crown makes a mistake, and the colonists pay. Some with
their lives, others with jail time.

Seems pretty rational thinking on their part. Somehow I'm glad that the
revolution worked, even if we had to fight it 3 times before the British
Crown "got it".

I've yet to find any well-laid out argument at all. :-(

OTT: AGW

Like AGW !

Graham

Site Timeline