aus.Re: DI 101?

Note that Ian has no concept of recent improvements.

But last month it was Euro 1 = USD 1.58, and in April it peaked at 1.60.

That's called an improvement, since you obviously couldn't figure it out for yourself, Ian.

Very much so, but one needs to have current and historical knowlege to appreciate it.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

I have no quibble with US Customs, they are usually courtious and unobtrusive, the total opposite of the surly bastards at immigration

No intention to, I get very well rewarded, and every job has some sort of shit to put up with.

What goes around comes around, US tourists don't have a good reputation abroad.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

Agreed.

I lived in Homestead for nearly a year. I've never been subjectively hotter in summer or colder in winter.

When I lived there, Florida was a state that culturally become more northern, the further south you went. Key West resembled Maine, Miami had a lot in common with New York, but Jacksonville was definitely part of the old south.

I've visited or lived in 47 of the 50 US states. Not having visited Alaska and Hawaii is easy to explain, but Alabama was one of those things that just sort of slipped through the cracks. Well, I flew over it 3 times. ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Most of the world is a very dangerous, illogical place compared to the US. I admit it, we're spoiled. ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Funny, that is what is said about american tourists all over the world.

Reply to
keithr

The one exception does not disprove the rule.

Good that the EU has finally figured out what we've had in the US for just a few hundred years.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

I cant say that I liked Florida all that much, Key West is an interesting place but I don't think I 'd like to live there although I wouldn't mind revisiting it. Miami seemed to be a totally phoney place full of posers and elderly retirees who flee north as soon as the temperature gets over 75. I did get a bit interested in buying a house in Cape Canaveral, a nice waterfront where you could watch the shuttle launch from the back yard, and at a good price too. If I had to spend the rest of my life in the US though, I think that it would be on the Oregon coast, the scenery and the people there were very nice.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

Claiming to have won both world wars single handed would be a good start.

Reply to
keithr

Some years ago I was was on the 'tube' in London. There were some obviously American tourists nearby. I was hoping 'please don't say anything crappy' but on the way out of the station both wives complained about having to walk up steps instead of there being an escalator. All of about 15 feet rise I'd say.

Both looked like you could power your car for several hundred miles if their spare fat were turned into motor fuel.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

More proof of the arrogance and ignorance issue.

Reply to
keithr

Compared to Detroit? You must be joking.

Reply to
keithr

LMAO ! I expect they want to find a Wally World everywhere.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They typically do a country per day don't they on European trips. Must be very instructive.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I think you got yourself a little confused there. Australia is a Commonwealth nation not a US state.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore
.

Nope, we had stopped them well before you turned up. and we did it with most of our troops in the Middle East and Europe.

Reply to
terryc

The repulsive part is when the generation that wasn't even born acts like we owe them everything that is truely repulsive.

Reply to
terryc

This differs between elections on city and county level and on country level.

The EU is not currently a union state. There are people who want to make it one and people who do not.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Reply to
Peter Larsen

Arny is plain right. And you could have had german as your first language, twice over, and you could have had to learn russian because that could have been the trade language on the mainland.

If you haven't read Churchill's "The Great War", then please do so - it should keep you busy for a forthnight and then perhaps we can have a lull in your postings so that the audio posters will come out of hiding, if there are any left.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Reply to
Peter Larsen

Is this the Churchill that sunk a ship that had surrendered when the crew was still on it?

Reply to
terryc

on

If there was an Olympic Games category for obesity - the Yanks would get Gold, Silver & Bronze just for turning up.

Reply to
Mike Coatham