aus.Re: DI 101?

Their own shadows. My ex-boss and still a friend got held up for an hour or so on entry to the USA simply for being born Pakistani one assumes. This is a man who travels regularly so much that he has the really big passport with lots of extra pages and visas for many, many countries.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I think increasingly people will stay home. I'll bet Florida's economy would have been crippled had it not been for the falling dollar.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Correct, it was really a power grab by the wealthy of the colony and they succeeded.

Reply to
terryc

Florida is nothing but a military outpost with pretensions to real estate speculation. Has been since Osceola and Al Capone, respectively. Tourism is recent, and limited to certain regions which have developed a really nasty crime problem recently...

It also serves as a mythic Shangri La for people from New York City, at least since "Midnight Cowboy". They buy beach condos and then don't live in them.

The Brevard County seat is Titusville. The first telephone line in a county building was in the courthouse in Titusville around 1950. It was not named after Titus Andronicus, but it should have been... the point being, there was nobody here.

But the weather is awesome.

I am referring to the "lower Alabama" portions of Florida, not Miami, which is an ostensibly South American outpost that nobody really understands.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

These were not unprincipled people, and trying to make a novel out of it simply won't work. Who was a "good guy"/"bad guy" depends on too much detail to bother.

The Founders were a lot broke-arse land speculators, the British proper snubbed them socially and mistakes were made.

But the bottom line is that communications were impossible, and things get worse when that is true.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

(...)

No idea, sorry. Haven't used Windows since NT 4.0.

--
Joe Kotroczo                                  kotroczo@mac.com
Reply to

Well yes, they were both composed of buildings. While the US accommodations were spartan, the survival rate was very, very high. The US paid tens of millions in compensation, and issued formal apologies.

Note that Canada interned tens of thousands of Japanese at the same time. Thus, the British Commonwealth is in no position to point an accusing finger.

True, Kitchener's "Scorched Earth" policy was about total destruction, not confiscation.

There was a very high death rate in the British concentration camps due to disease and malnutrition.The disposition of the property of the thousands of dead hardly mattered to them.

Interesting what the allegedly superior British educational system does not teach...

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Would you expect Dutch with anti-British sentiments to:

(1) Emigrate to the UK?

(2) Voice their opinions to a citizen of the UK?

Nahh, the Dutch with anti-British sentiments came to places where they knew they would find people with like experiences and sentiments. IOW, the US. ;-)

Note the congenital disrespect of the US from countries that we saved from total destruction at least twice: UK & France.

Our first *mistake* was rising above them, and our second *mistake* was staying there. ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Obviously, they have feelings of inferiority or why else would they be trying to re-balance the books?

Prove it.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

So much for all the literature of the day that basically said exactly that.

Reality is always complex. I was responding to a two cent falsehood with a five cent answer.

Nice job of dismissing available documentation that seems to disagree with your narrow view.

In the context, probably pretty reasonable.

Ah, truth by means of HBO. ;-)

You're trying to obfuscate by means of raising issues that you admit still aren't resolved.

If you want to respond properly, you'll present a relevant, concise counter-argument.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

How's the dollar Michael?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Reply to
Peter Larsen

Improving.

Doesn't matter what the dollar is worth if you've got enough of them to live well. Almost all US inhabitants do. The rest need to either get a job or at least apply for welfare. ;-)

Remember that in the US we are whining about paying 1/3 to 1/4 as much for gasoline as most of the rest of the world.

The dollar is still the official legal tender in many countries other than the US. And defacto legal tender in many more.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

A dunce in three subjects in one thread: History, geography and now economics.

Come on Arny, tell us more:-)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Churches

The literature is what's know as "agitprop". It's a part of the story. Your statement can easily be untrue without being false - it is a partial truth.

I find no definition of the word "dismiss" that means "places as a smaller element when in context."

Probably.

No, offering a realatively well-wrought survey item of media as a recommendation. I really don't like the book it's based on all that much - the movie's better in this case.

These are not obfuscations - these are elements of the story. The colonies were a drain on the Crown treasury, for reasons not well understood for a century. That is why the taxes were levied. The colonists, not being so-much colonizers, didn't want to pay for it either.

You'll find very few better, Arny. This is about as "concise" as it gets.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Judging something to be agitprop does not prove it to be either partially, or wholly false.

I don't know if you noticed this, but you actually said nothing that was relevant to the issue at hand.

Good for you. Be sure to post again when you have something factual to report.

So, where's the beef?

Again, you've said nothing that's meaningful or relevant. Interesting approach, obfuscating truth by means of a movie review.

So what?

Making bad business decisions is of course a generally accepted reason for enslaving people. ;-)

Yup, the British Crown makes a mistake, and the colonists pay. Some with their lives, others with jail time.

Seems pretty rational thinking on their part. Somehow I'm glad that the revolution worked, even if we had to fight it 3 times before the British Crown "got it".

I've yet to find any well-laid out argument at all. :-(

Reply to
Arny Krueger

None of which has been proven, BTW.

Ian, you seem to be way too old to learn new tricks. Of course that seems to have been true when you were six, as well. :-(

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Interesting.

So this 47% illiteracy rate in the US is not a new thing then? Even the Founding Fathers could not understand English:-)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Churches

Erm. Hardly!. When the European Monetary Union was established by The Maastricht Treaty of 1992, the value of the Euro was set at parity with the USD.

Now it stands at Euro 1 = USD1.488

"Improving" eh? :-)

Iain

Reply to
Iain Churches

You need a better news reader! I use Forte Agent which provides kill options to mark the post as read, delete the post or delete the post and all follow ups. It also enables you to delete a sub-thread so you can ignore the exchange between two posters having an off-topic argument in a thread that you are interested in. It costs $US30.00 but I have been told that the free Xnews has similar features.

Reply to
David Segall

Which dollar? Another vague question, as usual. Two of the groups are Australian, so it would imply you are asking about their dollar.

IP address: 87.54.70.178 Reverse DNS: 0x573646b2.bynxx10.dynamic.dsl.tele.dk. Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified] ASN: 3292 ASN Name: TDC (TDC Data Networks) IP range connectivity: 2 Registrar (per ASN): RIPE Country (per IP registrar): DK [Denmark] Country Currency: DKK [Denmark Kroner] Country IP Range: 87.48.0.0 to 87.63.255.255 Country fraud profile: Normal City (per outside source): Birker?D, Frederiksborg Country (per outside source): DK [Denmark] Private (internal) IP? No IP address registrar: whois.ripe.net Known Proxy? No

shows you to be in Europe. If you are so worried about OUR dollar, why are we still flooded with foreign tourists? Thanks to them my taxes are higher. They want to be right on the beach, so that is where the hotels are. That more than doubles the cost of my homeowner's insurance. The accidents caused by tourists makes my truck insurance higher. One of the early 'Attractions' is nearby, and it's obvious that a lot of drivers have never been in the area before.

Gasoline in my area of Florida has dropped from $4.17 a gallon to $3.67 a gallon in the last three weeks. That is about a 12% drop. Most prices for food and other necessities have only risen a few percent in the last year, which has happened almost every year I've been on this earth. I have seen a few local businesses close, but the lease was up, and the owner had already planned to retire. I've also seen new businesses open, and others expanding. We have two large chain stores building new stores less than eight miles from here, and between them they will be hiring about 300 people. Several other large stores have opened in the last six months, which was another 250 jobs.

Yes, the home building industry is down, but they had been building homes on speculation for several years, and had a six month inventory. Soon, that will be gone, and the work will pick up. A lot of custom homes are still being built, including homes in "The Villages" which is one of the largest retirement communities in the country. It has fill large parts of three counties, and is still growing. They even have their own VA clinic, to teat the residents who served the US military.

Personally, I am paying all my bills, eating well, my mortgage is almost paid off, and I don't have to go panhandle. Yes, some people are out of work, but it will return. Some industries can't find enough skilled labor, like real machinists, since the "Weak" US dollar is creating more demand for our products. A "high" dollar can be as destructive as a low one, or didn't you study economics? A high dollar leads to inflation, makes people lazy, they overspend, and when a little ripple hits, they are screwed. I have always lived a frugal life. I don't buy things to impress others, but I do buy the best quality I can, for things I expect to last.

The worst part is arrogant tourists who expect us to kiss their ass, simply because they flew across an ocean. Nt all of them are like that, but the ones that are leave a foul stench in the air. When I hear how much better things are in some other country I simply ask them, Why do you keep coming back?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell