Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

I have two LG LCD TVs, one relatively new, the second quite a few
years older. Both exhibit temporary audio sync problems when first
switching to the channel. The problem usually resolves itself within
about 20 seconds, but on one occasion it peristed, on both sets, for
two days.

Is this a firmware bug, or is it a transmission anomaly, perhaps due
to a weak signal? The video is perfect, and the audio remains in sync
until the channel is changed. Sometimes sync can be restored by
channel surfing to News 24 from the lower ABC channels.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

I suggest you have low signal issue, only problem I see is the initial
LCD TV startup del;ay before the tuner gets going properly.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

It seems highly unlikely to be a weak signal effect.

The audio and video streams have timestamps to show how they're to be
synchronized. If these were simply wrong, you'd expect to see lots of
complaints.

What may be happening though, is that the ABC24 streams are either not
strictly compliant with the standard, or are pushing the limits. This
can result in most decoders getting it right, but some, like yours,
getting confused.

Of course the problem is that while you're trying to get a solution,
what you actually get is a run-around, with the ABC and LG assuming that
the other is at fault.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:55:22 +1100, Sylvia Else

My signal is boosted by a masthead amplifier. Analogue reception was
OK when boosted, but usually very poor otherwise. The DTV signal
strength bar is well into the good section, so I can't believe that
signal strength is an issue. Other digital ABC channels have never
exhibited this problem.

I'll see what LG has to say. Maybe there are firmware updates. I also
have a HD STB that I could try.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"Franc Zabkar"

** You still live in Shoalhaven, NSW  - right ?

TV signals come from Knights Hill ( about 30 kms away to the north  ) from
well sited towers that have a commanding view of the area. Analogue signals
went off the air in June this year and all signals are UHF.

That your analogue signal was very poor until boosted at the antenna and
then just " OK " is suspicious -  suggests you have unusually long or poor
quality co-ax cable installed.

The problem you describe is associated with weak signal conditions or where
there is interference and/or ghosting.

With NO broadcast analogue signal to view, it becomes a BIG  problem to
figure out WTF is going on with TV signals.

The same problem will hit Sydney in about one year.

....  Phil

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:55:22 +1100, Sylvia Else

You're right. I rang LG and told them of the problem. It affects my
two most recent sets (42LD460 and 37LG30D), but not the older one
(32LC7D), so one would think that a firmware update would resolve the
issue. The 37LG30D is the worst offender.

LG's customer service acknowledged that a problem existed, but that it
was the ABC who were at fault. They claimed that they were currently
in communication with the ABC regarding the problem.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"Franc Zabkar"

** That sounds like a reference to that two day out of sych event

** That the synch comes good after 20 seconds indicates no inherent problem
with the DTV signal, other than it is weak or suffering from ghosting etc.
See my other post.

....   Phil

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

Bearing in mind that this is a multiplexed digital data stream, the
effects of a poor signal will be data corruption and/or data loss.
Either way, one wouldn't expect to see the described behaviour which is
that once the sync comes good, it stays good. Rather, one would expect
the sync to be lost again from time to time.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive"

** It is a widely observed reality.

 Reality does not give a flying fuck what fools *expect* it to be.

....  Phil

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

Few people who see the effect would be capabable of observing that it is
caused by a poor signal, so I dispute your claim that it is a widely
observed reality.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)
 "Stupider than Anyone Else Alive"

** Nonsense.

Fix the weak / ghosty signal on the  PARTICULAR  channel and problem gone.

Only fools argue from a position of ignorance and that is the only position
you have.

....  Phil

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"particular" channel?

Franc cites an issue with ABC News 24 (HD), which is only one of the
programs to be found multiplexed on the ABC network signal. He appears
to have had no problems with any other program on that multiplex.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

Read the text under it in the article that image is from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

--
?? 100% natural

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

What in particular?

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"Stupider Than Anyone Else "

** Well, you can lead a cow to water - but you cannot make her think .....

  Moooooooooooo ............

....   Phil

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

Fairly typical (on second thoughts, strike "fairly") Phil response that
conveys nothing useful.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

"two different MPEG-TSs can be transmitted at the same time, using a
technique called Hierarchical Transmission"...

The diagram does not apper to show that.

--
?? 100% natural

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

That's under the heading "Splitter", which is indeed shown on the
diagram. The dotted outline appears to be intended to represent its
optional nature.

As I've said, it appears that is is not being used, at least in Sydney
broadcasts.

Sylvia.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

You need to talk to a good speech therapist or an older experienced
teacher in this matter. Almost once a night I hear "that is not
synchronised". I don't know what the time accurracy of the time stamps
are, but even i can spot it on vaious programs at times on Tv signals.

Re: Audio sync problem on ABC News 24 (HD)

I don't know what you intend by that. The time stamps don't have an
accuracy in any real sense. They just specify how the streams should be
aligned.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline